Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Poll: How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

How do you love the new bottom-half split-screen UI?

• I love it / I don't mind it

• I am going to spam the forums with multiple threads about why I hate it and sign a petition to Elon.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that you can say that with a straight face as if you haven't quite understood the ramifications of upsetting 48.1% of your userbase means you're a much better comedian than me.

At this point we know it's an oops, and time would be better spent coming up with ideas to fix this mess.

48.1 % of a user base that is only a small sample of the population. Folks need to accept that a forum is NOT reflective all of the owners.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and spectrum
The fact that you can say that with a straight face as if you haven't quite understood the ramifications of upsetting 48.1% of your userbase means you're a much better comedian than me.

At this point we know it's an oops, and time would be better spent coming up with ideas to fix this mess.
It's now 58% positive/42% negative, and also, complainers tend to be extremely vocal on these forums. People happy with their cars are out enjoying them, and don't have time to be posting here. If you go by your logic, 90% of Tesla owners have major problems with their cars too.

Reactions: P85_DA and GWord
I have zero issues with V9 and how it handles split screens.

For those upset, yes, let Tesla know. I doubt downgrades to a previous version will happen, but I'm sure preferences will be noted and migrate to a future release. That's happened with other things. But I also suspect that a month from now, there will be very few people bothered by the changes.

48.1 % of a user base that is only a small sample of the population. Folks need to accept that a forum is NOT reflective all of the owners.
Thought it was. Part of owning a Tesla. Get an account at TMC, Purchase a camera or just use your phone. Make a youtube account. Make plenty of post on FB. Don't forget the referral code in all of that.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and SpudLime
I actually really like the V9 UI.

I'm one of those people who drive with the map in full screen most often b/c i listen to podcasts and audio books while I drive and don't need the information/functionality of the media player menu as I use the buttons on the steering wheel to control the media player.

Ditto for making/receiving phone calls.

I agree with those who say the backup camera should be on the top half of the screen, but i only use wit when i am backing up and it just so happens that it does occupy the top half of the screen when one is in reverse. so no functionality lost for me there.

when I 1st got my Model S I had tried to keep the camera on at all times to see how it could help with blind spots but i found it distracting and actually dizzying so i gave up after a few days.

all this talk of cancelled model 3 orders, and class-action lawsuits is silly IMNSHO. people need to stop wallowing in their 1%er problems and get on with their lives. or they could go drive a bolt or a leaf or a prius or whatever they feel is a superior vehicle. (have fun customizing those displays, if you can!)

i'm glad I upgraded, personally.

its nice to be able to send directions to the car from google maps (my Chevy Volt was able to do this since I purchased it in 2012)

This morning when i was driving i did try to increase the temp fo the climate control without looking and now that there is a single button in the middle of the row instead of the two zone buttons i accidentally hit something else.. but the adjustment on my part should be minor -- and i expect to be used to the new location within a matter of days.

My take is this is a vision of the future for FSD functionality. Since the only responsibility the driver will have is providing destination, having an extensive view of the destination route and POIs will be the only driving interaction. So, having the maps be a primary function is important. Having excellent real time traffic and condition information will be a priority as well. I assume, Tesla will not create an alternate experience for those who don't care about assisted or self driving.

IMO the maps and routing is pretty close to being on par with Google and Waze. I use the maps on every drive for real time traffic and destination battery consumption estimates. Of course the few times where I didn't route my routine drive, a major accident occurs and I discover the accident when I hit the back up. Obviously the routing would have highlighted the issue and I could have avoided. V9 maps and traffic seems to be much more accurate from the previous map update. So, I am very satisfied.

This forum is a good reflection for THIS issue. because we're not talking about people who create an account just to complain about something. A lot of the complaints have been from long time Tesla owners who's ownership experience has gone back quite a ways.

I've been through 3 different UI transitions, and each time there have been complaints. But, there has never been anything as significant of a take away as this for so many people. With this much backlash right after the update. The only thing that really compares is how the non-AP owners felt with the V7 release.

I also don't think you can lump the non-complainers in with the people who like it. Lots of people are the go with the flow type people, but that doesn't mean they don't have their preferences. This poll was purposely skewed to get the answer the OP wanted by lumping those people in with the people who like the new UI.

You have to keep in mind that V9 brought in some major features that people really wanted. When that happens it's easy to overlook the things taken away.

That's why the AP1, and pre-AP owners are more upset. They really didn't get much positive for what they had to give away, and some of them are even holding off on upgrading.

This poll is really evident of just how irked people are. Most people don't want to feel like they're the complainer type. But, they still voted for that option.

Even if we were going to assume that only 15-25% of the userbase was really impacted by this that would still be a lot. That's lost referrals, and lost sales. That's people who bought one thing, and it was switched.

I'm pretty tolerant of change, and I recognize the need to move forwards. But, this change was just idiotic. To try to unify a horizontal center UI, and a vertical UI.

My take is this is a vision of the future for FSD functionality. Since the only responsibility the driver will have is providing destination, having an extensive view of the destination route and POIs will be the only driving interaction. So, having the maps be a primary function is important. Having excellent real time traffic and condition information will be a priority as well. I assume, Tesla will not create an alternate experience for those who don't care about assisted or self driving.

IMO the maps and routing is pretty close to being on par with Google and Waze. I use the maps on every drive for real time traffic and destination battery consumption estimates. Of course the few times where I didn't route my routine drive, a major accident occurs and I discover the accident when I hit the back up. Obviously the routing would have highlighted the issue and I could have avoided. V9 maps and traffic seems to be much more accurate from the previous map update. So, I am very satisfied.

What I think it really funny about your post isn't anything you said.

But, how that plays into your car.

Everything about your car seems to be discontinued. Heck you could leave 8.1 on the car and say discontinued to it too. :)

Oh, just an FYI. Tesla did create an alternative experience for the IC for pre-ap cars. So it's certainly not something they haven't done before.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I have zero issues with V9 and how it handles split screens.

For those upset, yes, let Tesla know. I doubt downgrades to a previous version will happen .....snip.....
there are members who have older versions copied, and that might be a chance for them to make a boatload doing rollbacks. Maybe the next poll should be;
"How many 100's of miles would you drive to get rid of this POS, & how many $100's would you pay ....
;)

Reactions: spectrum
I love it that you yanks are all beta testing V9 for us Europeans so we get the tweaked and updated version ;)
you are one lucky individual sir.
What's amazing, is that despite the disingenuous wording of the survey, there are still ~40% that would rather be branded as some kind of trouble making pariah, then have to pick the alternate, "yeah, this is ok (i guess - i'll live w/it since we have no choice any way".)
There's a huge difference in concocting a survey that infers ambivalence as love love love, while painting the contrary view as whiny complainers. I know, it's a waste of time to even bring that up because many/some of the people that don't understand the hatred of this (their opinion) POS UI, are likely (not positively, but likely) just too self-absorbed to see any other view but their own as even being worthwhile. That's too bad, because the opposition has no problem understanding that some may find the new UI acceptable and even pleasing.

Last edited:
What I think it really funny about your post isn't anything you said.

But, how that plays into your car.

Everything about your car seems to be discontinued. Heck you could leave 8.1 on the car and say discontinued to it too. :)

Oh, just an FYI. Tesla did create an alternative experience for the IC for pre-ap cars. So it's certainly not something they haven't done before.
I guess I could just replace it with unicorn. I consider myself fortunate to have the discontinued items that make my build unique, and lucky to be able to take advantage of the new features being pushed. I was one week from being stuck with AP1. Then I would have just put in all caps and bold MX 90D DISCONTINUED

You are right that they could create different experiences. But, I just don't see it with the current volumes and expanding models that would need consistency to ensure internal efficiency.

Last edited:
V9 makes things less clicks/taps. Just saying.

1bpxyu.jpg

V9 makes things less clicks/taps. Just saying.
v8: 1 tap to reveal hidden top-row icons, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if top app was not Nav, direct tap on app icon = 1)

v9: 1 tap on new bottom-row icon to bring up popup app selector, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if desired app is Music, then direct tap on app icon in bottom row = 1)

Seems like the same number to me.

v8: 1 tap to reveal hidden top-row icons, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if top app was not Nav, direct tap on app icon = 1)

v9: 1 tap on new bottom-row icon to bring up popup app selector, 1 tap on desired app icon = 2
(or, if desired app is Music, then direct tap on app icon in bottom row = 1)

Seems like the same number to me.
The only difference in clicks (that I'm aware of) is one less click to get to Settings. Before I'd have to navigate to the Controls screen & then select the Settings page. Now it's all on one page. Otherwise it seems the same. And I do love being able to minimize the music screen.