Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changed from an early '21 M3LR, to a new '23 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, I'm considering getting into an M3P at the end of the year, hopefully with a good discount. Was going to buy a C8 coupe, but even after 5 years of production, still lots of issues with the DCT, and don't want to deal with another freaking new DCT on a brand new car again (happened to our '22 Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy). So considering getting a P if discounted enough at the end of the year, plus the $7,500 rebate. Then wait until GM gets its act together... if they ever do.

Anyway, bought one of the first '21s with the new heat pump on Dec 30, 2020. Also new was the power trunk, and had issues with both, plus car refusing to charge several times, and A/C was inadequate at best (hot TX here). Not only not cold enough, but even at full blast, air volume was like half on any other vehicle.

Just curious if a late '23 improved in any way. Plus with the P would I get the better Panasonic pac, or the same 78.1 LG my LR had in '21? We liked pretty much everything else about the car, from the awesome audio system, to the stalks, seat comfort, chunky steering wheel, etc. I test drove an MS LR the other day, since no M3Ps, and hated the new steering wheel, mainly due to zero logic how the switches are located. And the steering wheel was pencil thin. Then the audio system sounded worse than my LR, so Tesla probably made it worse with the redesign (not surprised). Hopefully somebody knows about the changes. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I dont think enough has changed that someone who sold the car because they were unhappy with it would all of a sudden change their opinions. Its still somewhat the luck of the draw on the quality, and while most cars are decent some arent on that front. As for the rest of the changes, I dont think they are enough for someone who sold cause they were unhappy to now buy another one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Well, most of the 'unhappiness' was due to issues that seem to have been resolved, including the power trunk not closing, etc. The heat pump is 3 years old now, so also assume it should be working fine now. The only functional issue I'd like improved is the A/C performance, and right now the local dealer got an M3P, so will go check it for myself this afternoon. Can't drive the car, but will test the fan (mine had 8 speeds) for volume output. And also from actual owners in hot climates, to know if it blows cold enough, since you didn't chime in on any specifics. Will also test the audio system, since I was underwhelmed by the one on the Model S LR. Hope it hasn't changed; it was awesome on our LR. The car rode awesome, including the steering .If I'm considering buying another, it's because I obviously liked it. Hopefully others will be more helpful;).

Tried the HVAC on a new MP3 on the floor, and it definitely blows better than our '21. And a little higher too. Still not perfect, as the location of the vents don't allow to aim airflow at upper torso level, the way I like, but could definitely live with that. Just need to know it blows cold enough for summer now. And Tesla called, and although the Domain dealership (where my daughter lives) doesn't have one, there's another one that does, so will try to make it there, and check out how it rides. What sucks is I'd have to shell out an extra 2 grand to dump the summer tires. So would have to get it discounted enough to make up for that. I have cash in hand, so could buy it at the last minute at the end of the year. We'll see what Tesla does, but I'm not very hopeful of a great deal, since I think they're pretty much at the 1.8M units they needed to be. Cheapest so far has been $46K+ for a new one (no demos here) in Dallas, I think. Not sure how the crazy pricing works, but I wouldn't pay anything over that. And would prefer 2 grand less, to make up for the tire expense.

Oh, so both had and have the 78.1 kWh Panasonic pack? That's good to know; thank you. Oh man, so no more parking sensors??? For '21, Tesla removed the radar, and the camera blind-spot detection was absolute crap on my '21, and with no warning of any kind; basically like it didn't have it. And with no camera in front, I need that vehicle to at least have front sensors, or my wife could knock my motorcycle down. Guess I could hang a ball from the ceiling or something, but it'd be a detraction. There were other changes, but minor. The HVAC was improved a little. Also the headlights were improved a few months after I bought my car. And possibly other 'quiet' changes, but nothing major, it seems. Couldn't try the stereo, but hope it's the same. By the way, scrutinized the M3P at the dealer, and it definitely had a bit better panel gaps and alignment than my ex-car, but still subpar, especially at that price. The good news is that doesn't bother me. The highland is supposed to significantly improve in that department. The car will be a driver, so I just want it to be reliable. Thank you for your help.

Oh, so both had and have the 78.1 kWh Panasonic pack? That's good to know; thank you. Oh man, so no more parking sensors??? For '21, Tesla removed the radar, and the camera blind-spot detection was absolute crap on my '21, and with no warning of any kind; basically like it didn't have it. And with no camera in front, I need that vehicle to at least have front sensors, or my wife could knock my motorcycle down. Guess I could hang a ball from the ceiling or something, but it'd be a detraction. There were other changes, but minor. The HVAC was improved a little. Also the headlights were improved a few months after I bought my car. And possibly other 'quiet' changes, but nothing major, it seems. Couldn't try the stereo, but hope it's the same. By the way, scrutinized the M3P at the dealer, and it definitely had a bit better panel gaps and alignment than my ex-car, but still subpar, especially at that price. The good news is that doesn't bother me. The highland is supposed to significantly improve in that department. The car will be a driver, so I just want it to be reliable. Thank you for your help.

That sounds about right on the new 2023 as well, per my one test drive. Rest assured that if it could get any worse than "absolute crap" (your technical term), someone at Tesla is working on making it so...

Well, most of the 'unhappiness' was due to issues that seem to have been resolved, including the power trunk not closing, etc. The heat pump is 3 years old now, so also assume it should be working fine now. The only functional issue I'd like improved is the A/C performance, and right now the local dealer got an M3P, so will go check it for myself this afternoon. Can't drive the car, but will test the fan (mine had 8 speeds) for volume output. And also from actual owners in hot climates, to know if it blows cold enough, since you didn't chime in on any specifics. Will also test the audio system, since I was underwhelmed by the one on the Model S LR. Hope it hasn't changed; it was awesome on our LR. The car rode awesome, including the steering .If I'm considering buying another, it's because I obviously liked it. Hopefully others will be more helpful;).

Someone made a changelog thread. Its not official, but perhaps its what you are looking for.

That was very helpful; thanks a lot. I just punched my immaculate trade "23 G70 Sport Prestige), and Tesla offered $28K, vs $33K with Carvana (need to check others). Geez. So would have to pay for the P, then sell the G privately. Unless Musk lowers the price locally like in Dallas ($46K + fees), I wouldn't buy it. I want to buy a new C8 coupe, but are still having lots of issues with their stupid DCTs, so will wait a year or two. So I need to determine if I lose more money keeping the G, or getting the P in the mean time. Assuming Musk lowers the P to $46K, I'd have to shell about $10K for the swap. The question is how much is the P going to be worth in 1 and 2 years? If it stays the same, I don't think the G would depreciate an additional 10 grand from what I'd get now, so it'd have to be worth more. We don't drive much in the city, so 5K miles per year at the most. Any guesses how much the P could be worth in 1 and 2 years? Comments welcome on those predictions. Ha ha. Thanks gang.

That was very helpful; thanks a lot. I just punched my immaculate trade "23 G70 Sport Prestige), and Tesla offered $28K, vs $33K with Carvana (need to check others). Geez. So would have to pay for the P, then sell the G privately. Unless Musk lowers the price locally like in Dallas ($46K + fees), I wouldn't buy it. I want to buy a new C8 coupe, but are still having lots of issues with their stupid DCTs, so will wait a year or two. So I need to determine if I lose more money keeping the G, or getting the P in the mean time. Assuming Musk lowers the P to $46K, I'd have to shell about $10K for the swap. The question is how much is the P going to be worth in 1 and 2 years? If it stays the same, I don't think the G would depreciate an additional 10 grand from what I'd get now, so it'd have to be worth more. We don't drive much in the city, so 5K miles per year at the most. Any guesses how much the P could be worth in 1 and 2 years? Comments welcome on those predictions. Ha ha. Thanks gang.
C8 Stingrays rarely hit their stated numbers. Everything has to be perfect for them to get a 2.9 0-60 mph and 11.1 1/4 mile.

With 18” wheels and some weight reductions I can hit those numbers consistently in my 2022 Model 3 Performance.

I wanted a C8 before I got my Model 3 Performance. However, I really wanted the consistency of AWD so the Tesla won out.

IMG_0215.png

Hey, those are awesome numbers. A C8 doesn't do anywhere near 2.9-sec where I live (4K' altitude), especially being NA. Plus you'd have to abuse the crap out of the finicky DCT with launch control for the best numbers, which I'd never do anyway. So for practical purposes, a non-Z51 (with A/S tires) C8 would be like a 3.7-4.0 sec car at my altitude IMO (no L/C). But that's quick enough for me. The problem is if it's ever going to be reliable. If not, then I'm not interested. The P is going to deliver anywyere, but I'd immediately replace the tires for the same ones the non-Z51 C8 comes with (Michelin Pilot A/S4s), which might slow down the P a little. But for sure it's quicker than any NA C8 at my altitude, at least without L/C.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Hey, those are awesome numbers. A C8 doesn't do anywhere near 2.9-sec where I live (4K' altitude), especially being NA. Plus you'd have to abuse the crap out of the finicky DCT with launch control for the best numbers, which I'd never do anyway. So for practical purposes, a non-Z51 (with A/S tires) C8 would be like a 3.7-4.0 sec car at my altitude IMO (no L/C). But that's quick enough for me. The problem is if it's ever going to be reliable. If not, then I'm not interested. The P is going to deliver anywyere, but I'd immediately replace the tires for the same ones the non-Z51 C8 comes with (Michelin Pilot A/S4s), which might slow down the P a little. But for sure it's quicker than any NA C8 at my altitude, at least without L/C.
Honestly, I think the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO summer tires would be the best option for the Model 3 if you live in a warm climate. If you are in a cold climate then the Hankook iON EVO AS tires would be a great option.

I did an 11.24 @ 119.42 1/4 mile and a 3.06 0-60 mph with 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires on my Model 3. All season tires don’t hurt acceleration that much with the Model 3. It isn’t traction limited.

IMG_0238.png
IMG_0239.png