Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V7 improved RWD performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt like mine weren't working properly there was a lag time before it would register on the car (which is normal with the old tpms) so I upgraded and they have a reading to the car immediately.

How can you even tell with the current firmware what's being reported by the TPMS?

Also, in order to upgrade the TPMS, don't you also need to upgrade the TPMS receivers?

I'm assuming a sport/non-sport mode addition for the rwd versions? How awesome.

I'm firmly convinced that the hardware is identical between P and non-P models as far as the rear motor and inverter, the only difference being software. So the older P85 might get a nice boost to match the rear motor of the P90D, and the S85 could be brought nearer to the power of the old P85. Pure speculation but I can dream! This would be a lot of positive press for Tesla. Hold on to your car a few years and it just keeps getting better.

I'm firmly convinced that the hardware is identical between P and non-P models as far as the rear motor and inverter, the only difference being software. So the older P85 might get a nice boost to match the rear motor of the P90D, and the S85 could be brought nearer to the power of the old P85. Pure speculation but I can dream! This would be a lot of positive press for Tesla. Hold on to your car a few years and it just keeps getting better.
I've always thought everything is the same except for the inverter.... which supposedly delivers more power. motors are the same though. I thought that Tesla really only made two model S motors, a front and a rear version. Differences between the P and non-P are just inverter (juice provided to) motor

I've always thought everything is the same except for the inverter.... which supposedly delivers more power. motors are the same though. I thought that Tesla really only made two model S motors, a front and a rear version. Differences between the P and non-P are just inverter (juice provided to) motor

The latest blog post seems to confirm this:

Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications | Tesla Motors

The 70D motors deliver roughly 165 horsepower each, the 85D motors roughly 211 horsepower each and the front motor on the P85D delivers 221 horsepower. Although these motors are in the same family, their power electronics and control software are tuned differently.

Assuming the same applies to variants of the rear motor, the difference is evidently in the tuning of the electronics and control software, though it's a bit ambiguous because "tuning" the electronics may or may not involve variances in hardware.

The latest blog post seems to confirm this:

Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications | Tesla Motors

Assuming the same applies to variants of the rear motor, the difference is evidently in the tuning of the electronics and control software, though it's a bit ambiguous because "tuning" the electronics may or may not involve variances in hardware.

About the rear motors, the post says:

"The shaft horsepower rating of the rear wheel drive single motor Model S is straightforward and roughly 360-470 hp depending on the variant (60, 85 or P85). Also, it is generally similar, but not the same, as the battery electrical "horsepower" output."

This seems consistent with what people here were guessing early on--the 60 kwh and 85 kwh cars had the same motor and inverter, but the 60s were limited by the battery. Because the battery in the 85 could produce more power, the same inverter+motor could make more power than in the 60. The P85s had the same motor but a different inverter. Someone posted a chart that explained all of this at some point, but I don't have time to search around for it right now.

What the blog post doesn't really explain is why Tesla changed the way it was rating its power. Early on, the 300/360/416 ratings seemed to reflect the above differences in 60/85/P85 system power. Then they changed it. Reading between the lines, it sounds like it was because the difference in available peak system power between the P85 and P85D wasn't very impressive and/or wasn't representative of the real difference in performance that the driver could expect.