Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V7.0 naming your Tesla 42

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN is replaced by the new name of the car.

962c365d22d416e5ddd7b6b303bc4abc.jpg

Damn ... I wish they'd get RID of the FROM ELON button.
So tacky.

...so I named mine 42. When I checked the car later I noticed the name of the car had changed from 42 to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
For those who haven't read the book, here is a section of the relevant passage:
-------------------------------------
"All right," said Deep Thought. "The Answer to the Great Question..."
"Yes..!"
"Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought.
"Yes...!"
"Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused.
"Yes...!"
"Is..."
"Yes...!!!...?"
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

When the v7.0 upgrade was done, my s85d asked for a name. I could not think of anything quick enough and I really wanted to get to the new feature release notes so I named mine 42. When I checked the car later I noticed the name of the car had changed from 42 to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

But what if you actually wanted to name your car 42?

YOU CAN'T!

It's another limitation of the new UI! :)

When the v7.0 upgrade was done, my s85d asked for a name. I could not think of anything quick enough and I really wanted to get to the new feature release notes so I named mine 42. When I checked the car later I noticed the name of the car had changed from 42 to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Very cool! I hope you don't mind but I made a very short video about your discovery:

Last edited by a moderator:
But what if you actually wanted to name your car 42?

YOU CAN'T!

It's another limitation of the new UI! :)

I would start trying to name it 42_ and _42 (_ = space).

- - - Updated - - -

Reading Elon's book, it says the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was one of his favorite books, as a kid.

It is, hands down, my favorite book. My wife looks at me funny when I read it because I can't contain my laughter. Adams knew how to pen for my kind of comedy, and I look forward to the day that Marvin will roam my home. :)

Have not seen anyone else post this yet. So if figured I would check with the forum to see if this is another Easter egg.

Has as anyone else seen this too?
What happens if you name the car "Forty Two"?
Looks like I missed it. I had named my car "four two" looks like I have to rename it now.

Last edited: