Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk enhanced autopilot changed??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure they will know all sorts of things. It can also be so cold that they keep their gloves on at least while it warms up. Stop being so ridiculous.

There are lots of other scenarios that take very little imagination where a capacitive steering wheel would be a poor scenario, people with accessibility aids, bandages on hands, guitar players, people with dry skin etc (Zombie Finger and Touchscreens - Consumer Reports).
So they are able to plan ahead putting on gloves while still inside their house, in anticipation of their steering wheel being ice cold, but they are completely unable to plan ahead and turn on the heating in the car instead to make it nice and toasty before even getting into their cars.

Seems like a special bunch of people then.

How do you know when you get a strike? Does it literally say “strike 1 of 5” etc?

I’ve not had one as far as I know…..🤷🏼‍♂️
The ones i saw was like this

1. I got a strike because the car misdetected that i was not looking at the road.
2. Parked the car after arriving at destination.
3. Next startup i got a popup stating that i had, had a strike and i would lose AP for a week if it got 5 and also it said "1/5" ...

Holy crap, I can’t believe what you Tesla owners are prepared to put up. The car deciding whether or not it’s going to let you use AP. Punishment “strikes’. Unbelievable.
While you can consider it that way, you can also think that if certain Tesla owners keep using AutoPilot in an inappropriate and dangerous way then regulators are likely to enforce their own controls that are likely to be less desirable.

Yes, having to keep my eyes on the road in a car that was supposed to have self driving is annoying, but those are the regulations and TBH I was probably looking away a bit much. We seem to be going through a period where regulations are becoming intrusive with speed limit bongs, lane guidance bongs etc. but if anything Tesla are doing better at minimising this than some other manufacturers. Our Leaf drives me insane on country lanes as it complains about my driving position constantly.

Reactions: Durzel and KennethS
Holy crap, I can’t believe what you Tesla owners are prepared to put up. The car deciding whether or not it’s going to let you use AP. Punishment “strikes’. Unbelievable.
The main problem for Tesla is, if they continue down this road, they risk losing costumers.

If they keep this up, i bet this will be something i consider and actively seek to avoid, so if other manufacturers do not do this i will choose these.

When i looked for a new electric car i very quickly decided that i would NOT buy a KIA, this is because i really loathe their reversing bong. It is VERY intrusive, someone a few houses down and around a corner has a KIA, in summer it is VERY annoying that his car BONGS VERY LOUDLY whenever he reverses out of his driveway. He drives away early, before we get up, so we are unable to have our window tilted to get fresh air in, because we will be woken up by this annoying BONG.

The same way....If Tesla gets more and more "intrusive" towards the owner, i bet some people will not want a Tesla.,

Next thing is......Tesla always boasts that their AP / FSD is getting better and better while at the same time, making their "automatic driving" less and less useful.

Seems there is a disparity between what they say in their "advertisements" and what they do toward their costumers.

Advertisement says "Our system is getting better and better"

To the costumers (via warnings and disenagements) "We dont trust our system enough to let you use it, as you used to, we will lock it down even more to prevent your use of our product"

I could accept these 5 strikes and you are out if it has a timeout on the strikes that is reasonable and the system is pretty reliable that it’s not unfairly catching people out. I mean you do still need to be looking at the road and that’s important for safety, if you give some a bit of rope here they will abuse it.

Strikes that never expire is not on at all.

As for accepting this, every car at the moment is a compromise. Do you accept this and poor wipers, do I accept say my Lotus with matrix high beams that blind people and a poor heating system (And many other faults).

All cars seem to be pretty problematic at the moment. Fisker obviously but even Polestar, Porsche and so on. I was considering a BMW X5 50e but apparently the Check Engine Light is a known issue with those and comes on all the time… none work right, just some less so than others.

I could accept these 5 strikes and you are out if it has a timeout on the strikes that is reasonable and the system is pretty reliable that it’s not unfairly catching people out. I mean you do still need to be looking at the road and that’s important for safety, if you give some a bit of rope here they will abuse it.

Strikes that never expire is not on at all.
Other things affect the strikes also. The way you hold the steering wheel for example.

Other things affect the strikes also. The way you hold the steering wheel for example.
Totally

I often get the blue flashing....Not because i am not holding the steering wheel, but because i am not applying force.

Imagine if the AP / CC also demanded you oscillated the accelerator a bit to show your foot was on the accelerator. The greatest thing about "Cruise Control" is, you do not need to constantly apply force to the accelerator, i used to cramp up in my foot, because i had to "lock" my foot at a given position, not having to add force to the accelerator is the greatest invention ever (And CC also keeps the speed, which is great for not getting speeding tickets :) )

The Steering wheel i have to "yank" to prove i am holding the steering wheel, which is VERY annoying.

Totally

I often get the blue flashing....Not because i am not holding the steering wheel, but because i am not applying force.

Imagine if the AP / CC also demanded you oscillated the accelerator a bit to show your foot was on the accelerator. The greatest thing about "Cruise Control" is, you do not need to constantly apply force to the accelerator, i used to cramp up in my foot, because i had to "lock" my foot at a given position, not having to add force to the accelerator is the greatest invention ever (And CC also keeps the speed, which is great for not getting speeding tickets :) )

The Steering wheel i have to "yank" to prove i am holding the steering wheel, which is VERY annoying.
I do expect this steering wheel yank and holding to go eventually when maybe their camera system is good enough and they get sign-off like Ford Blue-Cruise did. Hence why I think they skipped on a capacitive steering wheel as they just don't expect you to be holding the wheel so it's a waste. Like everything with Tesla, they do this stuff way before the software or even laws catch up.

Totally

I rarely use autopilot simply because it doesn't understand that me holding the steering wheel at 10 to 2 simply doesn't give enough torque for it to know. It's very frustrating that holding the steering wheel with one hand seems to work much better, I just won't do that as it's not as safe.

Capacitive plus torque would be great, I'm not sure how much those two cost but it is a safety thing so cost should be less important, especially with autonomy as there is very high risks involved.

maybe their camera system is good enough
That’ll be difficult since some cars don’t have a camera, others do have a camera but no infrared lights while newer cars do.

It’s the reason why you can defeat the checks on keeping your eyes on the road with sunglasses on.

The whole thing is completely flawed because the camera was never intended to track your eyes, it was some robotaxi thing so that you can record people vandalising your car.

That’ll be difficult since some cars don’t have a camera, others do have a camera but no infrared lights while newer cars do.

It’s the reason why you can defeat the checks on keeping your eyes on the road with sunglasses on.

The whole thing is completely flawed because the camera was never intended to track your eyes, it was some robotaxi thing so that you can record people vandalising your car.
Well whatever the reason for originally putting the camera in, they obviously have found they can at least partially use it for other purposes. I suspect if / when they can get hands free approved like Ford Blue Cruise if the camera cannot clearly see your eyes it's going to revert to hands on steering wheel. Sunglasses, no go. Nighttime and no IR, no go, etc.

Of course I also don't think for a minute that Tesla are working on trying to get this working and approved for use on UK roads like Blue Cruise. I don't think they care about doing anything like that for our market.

I rarely use autopilot simply because it doesn't understand that me holding the steering wheel at 10 to 2 simply doesn't give enough torque for it to know. It's very frustrating that holding the steering wheel with one hand seems to work much better, I just won't do that as it's not as safe.

Capacitive plus torque would be great, I'm not sure how much those two cost but it is a safety thing so cost should be less important, especially with autonomy as there is very high risks involved.
10 to 2 if your problem here.

The torque at 10 is countering the torque at 2 resulting in no torque and a warning.

10 to 2 if your problem here.

The torque at 10 is countering the torque at 2 resulting in no torque and a warning.
Yeah I know, but given it's been taught for decades as the way to drive having a system that doesn't allow for it is a bit frustrating.

I've tried putting in some steering input from time to time but it just annoys me and ends up being the opposite of a nice relaxing drive having the car driving for me.

Yeah I know, but given it's been taught for decades as the way to drive having a system that doesn't allow for it is a bit frustrating.

I've tried putting in some steering input from time to time but it just annoys me and ends up being the opposite of a nice relaxing drive having the car driving for me.
Even when I one hand it, I still need to give it a tug when it starts flashing. A bit annoying but ultimately I still find this better than not having autopilot on at all.