Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Transition Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
allicons.jpg

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
Controls.jpg

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
acmini.jpg

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
mini lights.jpg

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
largeplayer.jpg

Mid:
midplayer.jpg

Mini:
miniplayer.jpg

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
wipers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I get that voice commands dont work for everyone, in every language. Thats not the part I didnt understand and perhaps there is a language difference here. You said "If I push the button to activate the wipers manually, it may smear the windshield". Under what circumstances would that occur?

If a wipe from pushing the button would smear the windows, so would turning on the wipers in some other manner, so thats why I didnt understand the comment.
Important to mention that a quick press on the button does NOT start the wipers but DOES bring up the mini screen! All the smear fear evaporated immediately!

I've just read in another thread that a light touch on the button will pop up the wiper control without activating the wiper. If that's the case then those of us in the snowy north will need to calibrate our left fingers appropriately.
That is correct. Keeping finger pressed on the button operates the wipers. A quick press and just the control panel comes up.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlowski
Just think what you could have been doing with your time had they not fumbled this update so badly. On the other hand, you're probably giddy wearing your Tesla Superhero outfit now. THANKS!
I think the update had to be made to show to the ones who are having trouble adapting to change, just how easy v11 is to master. I for one thank the OP for helping out these people!

Reactions: Tezlowski
Important to mention that a quick press on the button does NOT start the wipers but DOES bring up the mini screen! All the smear fear evaporated immediately!

Nice! How did you discover it? It's not in the owner's manual (nor is the swipe up from the bottom of the screen) and it's not in V10 (or else I didn't succeed in tapping quickly enough in two attempts tonight).

Nice! How did you discover it? It's not in the owner's manual (nor is the swipe up from the bottom of the screen) and it's not in V10 (or else I didn't succeed in tapping quickly enough in two attempts tonight).
I already tried it several times on my V10 car. As soon as the stalk switch is activated, the wiper card pops up, then a split-second later the wipers sweep. If Tesla has built in a delay in V11 then kudos for anticipating this need.

Discover it? I just pressed the button. In v10 it would activate the wiper. Not in v11. Its not that quick a tap, just press in and let go, hold it in for activating wipers and fluid

Discover it? I just pressed the button. In v10 it would activate the wiper. Not in v11. Its not that quick a tap, just press in and let go, hold it in for activating wipers and fluid
Nope, I'm on V11 now and it works the same as V10. Wiper card opens then wipers activate. I was able to open the card once with a quick tap when the car was still waking up, but after that the wipers always came on.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jsmay311
Nope, I'm on V11 now and it works the same as V10. Wiper card opens then wipers activate. I was able to open the card once with a quick tap when the car was still waking up, but after that the wipers always came on.
Yep, got to admit...you are right...I only tested it right after firing up the vehicle. After about 30 seconds it does indeed make wipers work.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Transformer
A quick tap activates the min screen and runs the wipers. Right? Which if the window is dry-ish could smear things. I had a chance to try this today and couldn’t get a quick tap to only pop the mini screen.
TexasTezla and I just agreed above that in fact it does still work the same as V10. The mini-screen will pop up without wipers operating only as the car is waking up. After that, the wipers will activate immediately after the card appears.

Reactions: Sporty
A quick tap activates the min screen and runs the wipers. Right? Which if the window is dry-ish could smear things. I had a chance to try this today and couldn’t get a quick tap to only pop the mini screen.
See reply above...apparently the tap to get up screen only works for the first few seconds after firing up car, then it does indeed activate wipers too...however if smear is your concern then keep pressing so that fluid works with the wipers.

See reply above...apparently the tap to get up screen only works for the first few seconds after firing up car, then it does indeed activate wipers too...however if smear is your concern then keep pressing so that fluid works with the wipers.
That's the obvious answer but it's not always the right solution, especially if the windshield is almost dry to begin with. Keep in mind the original intention was just to see what the current wiper setting is, and perhaps select to OFF.

Thanks. Use it frequently both ways. I was hoping for a way to get into the small wiper control ui without running the wipers.

Me too. Looks like the only way is the Controls menu, but it's far away from the driver.
Yes. It’s also not a good experience.
Eg calling up something that occludes the entire map and more then half the display just to hit one button doesn’t ‘work’ (for me). It technically works, but for some reason it’s not right. Sort of like saying ‘use voice’ (assuming it worked) . Yes that works.. but it’s a workaround. That’s what the Controls UI is like. That UI is fine in some cases, but it’s not fine for repeating things while driving like wiper control.

Reactions: GSP and bay74
Yes. It’s also not a good experience.
Eg calling up something that occludes the entire map and more then half the display just to hit one button doesn’t ‘work’ (for me). It technically works, but for some reason it’s not right. Sort of like saying ‘use voice’ (assuming it worked) . Yes that works.. but it’s a workaround. That’s what the Controls UI is like. That UI is fine in some cases, but it’s not fine for repeating things while driving like wiper control.
The wiper control is a small unobtrusive menu on the bottom left...you don't need to hit controls first. If you need to access wiper controls it is surely for only 4 reasons...to activate the wipers, to speed up the wipers, to slow down the wipers or turn off the wipers. If the wipers are already working then just press the end of the stalk and there appears the small menu bottom left. If it is to activate the wipers then press the stalk button and the wipers activate. Hold the button to activate wipers with fluid. Also the small menu appears bottom left. Surely you dont just need to 'see' the menu bur rather perform an action?

• Disagree
Reactions: WattsappMTL
It was news to me, too: Some people need to see that screen to find out which wiper setting they left it on:

Thanks for asking, because this question clearly illustrates how those living in California don't understand the reality of driving in northern climates. On mucky winter days, the windshield gets covered with a spray that contains a mixture of salt and dirt. It's often easier to let it build up for a while, then manually sweep it off with the wipers if it stays wet enough. However if there isn't enough water and you don't spray the windshield, it smears and you suddenly can't see anything. Tesla's idea of "auto" wipers works adequately for normal rain, but in winter my wipers are set to OFF most of the time because they can never get it right. Sometimes too fast, sometimes the windshield is almost obscured before they activate. Other times, I manually set the speed to match driving conditions. The bottom line is that I'm not always sure what setting I left them in. I don't want to activate the wipers with the stalk button in order to check the setting, because that might smear the windshield. The V10 icon is easily reachable and gives a quick display of the current setting. It should not have been removed.

The auto climate control doesn't work well in winter either. Windshield heating requirements vary with outside and interior conditions, but Tesla activates windshield heat based only on interior humidity and temperature. Sometimes that's inappropriate, because it can dry the salt spray on the outside. Air distribution in Auto is wrong too. I don't know of any other vehicle that sends hot air from the dash in the winter, but that's the Tesla default. It's fine for AC, but in winter conditions the footwell is the area that needs the most heat. My Model Y does a terrible job in that function, and there are several other threads addressing this issue.

When you enter a destination into the navigation, it used to show the expected state of charge at arrival and after a round trip. It still does, but you may have to scroll down the list of navigation directions to see it at the bottom.
Yes, it would be helpful if the battery state was in the spare space next to the distance and ETA so it was always visible