Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for V11 Rework/Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He had some quality issues before. I think his car spent about a month total in the SC. They did some questionable things and, generally, were not very knowledgeable. Essentially, changing components until somehow they solved the problem. I think he would have kept the car because there were no issues for a while; maybe he even started to come back. However, V11 pushed him over the edge.
I have no idea how common this is.

V11 brings Consumer Reports complaints into reality! Since we can't go back to V10 here are some comments re improvements:
1. Bring back the tire pressure and kWh/mile cards. If I want to monitor either then I miss the map.
2. If the system can warn me about a vehicle in the adjoining lane when I turn on the turn signal then it should be able to show vehicles behind me on the overhead auto view.
3. Defrost controls, front seat heaters should be on the bottom bar.
4. Please go back to the V10 entertainment interface starting with the musical note icon.
5. Incorporate a better alpha version checkout since V11 was never tested against early M3's. Our's is #24550 and had a firmware conflict that nearly killed the car. The Service Center had several other M3's with the same problem one of which had to be towed in. I use PIN to Start and V11 blanked out my screen with no possible entry of PIN. Roughly one hour of fiddling with start on the app and other steps I was able to drive ..... STRAIGHT to the Service Center.

5. Incorporate a better alpha version checkout since V11 was never tested against early M3's. Our's is #24550 and had a firmware conflict that nearly killed the car. The Service Center had several other M3's with the same problem one of which had to be towed in. I use PIN to Start and V11 blanked out my screen with no possible entry of PIN.

Their QA is inadequate even for non safety critical software.

So the phone app has a feature to remotely start the car (assuming internet connectivity). It's not obvious what that's good for, but would it help in this situation, given PIN-to-drive?

Reactions: Sporty

So the phone app has a feature to remotely start the car (assuming internet connectivity). It's not obvious what that's good for, but would it help in this situation, given PIN-to-drive?
Where do you see a feature to remotely start the car? Are you taking about the ‘power’ button on the climate screen? That’s to turn the climate control system on.

I agree. It’s mostly non-critical issues, but not exclusively. There was a recall (fsd beta) for forward collision warning regression. Another regressions which somehow disabled the heater from working in some freezing climates. Then a host of annoying ones that maybe aren’t critical but still… rear view camera problems on some drops. Some people reported for a while the stereo (Bluetooth?) would turn on at full volume. The partially unreadable map gray on gray colors. Sentry mode silently failing to record (I’m told now that’s a feature and not a bug).

Then of course all the non-critical regressions that have occurred.

The Controls section of the app has a Start button.

BTW, I have to manually update just this app on my phone. So check for an app update. Is there an Android setting for that?
This is what I have. The ‘power’ button on the climate screen just turns on the climate control system like one would expect. I have my phone set to auto-update but it’s an iphone. I have no idea how Android handles updates.

1643863316183.png
1643863388396.png

OK, so the app's Start button acts like tapping the key card on the console in order to let someone else drive your car for a bit without your key card.

This means you could use the Start button in the car if its key card reader is broken (assuming internet connectivity) or to handle/bypass the PIN-to-drive if the car's touchscreen is broken.

OK, so the app's Start button acts like tapping the key card on the console in order to let someone else drive your car for a bit without your key card.

This means you could use the Start button in the car if its key card reader is broken (assuming internet connectivity) or to handle/bypass the PIN-to-drive if the car's touchscreen is broken.
yes - I saw a few posts discussing that use. Also, for cars with a key fob it will work if the fob is broken.

V11 brings Consumer Reports complaints into reality! Since we can't go back to V10 here are some comments re improvements:
1. Bring back the tire pressure and kWh/mile cards. If I want to monitor either then I miss the map.
2. If the system can warn me about a vehicle in the adjoining lane when I turn on the turn signal then it should be able to show vehicles behind me on the overhead auto view.
3. Defrost controls, front seat heaters should be on the bottom bar.
4. Please go back to the V10 entertainment interface starting with the musical note icon.
5. Incorporate a better alpha version checkout since V11 was never tested against early M3's. Our's is #24550 and had a firmware conflict that nearly killed the car. The Service Center had several other M3's with the same problem one of which had to be towed in. I use PIN to Start and V11 blanked out my screen with no possible entry of PIN. Roughly one hour of fiddling with start on the app and other steps I was able to drive ..... STRAIGHT to the Service Center.
I would like to "second" this post. Going from one menu button to another is twice the amount of time your eyes are off the road. The windshield wiper change I can accept, but defrost (front and rear) and seat heaters should all be on the main menu again. The changes to the media setup makes it more difficult to change stations on radio or switch to streaming from my list of favorites more difficult in traffic or slippery conditions. Most of my driving is done in traffic or in adverse weather. Anything that alters the driving controls should be off the table for future updates other than putting some back on the main menu.
Also, please add a voice command for turning on/off the fog lights. They can be very useful in New England.

Reactions: Boza
If that is truly the case, I bet they it's because they live where there's no real winter. Obviously polls on these forums are going to be negatively biased because users are looking for somewhere to vent their frustration, but I'd be surprised if even a slim majority were fully satisfied with this change. It has some good aspects but others just reek of a lack of understanding and concern for owner's real needs.
I’ll be the lone dissenter here. I live in Denver and drive in the mountains often as well. I noticed the changes but I guess they just don’t really bother me. I still drive in the snow and have managed not to die AND keep my butt warm. That being said, I certainly understand other peoples frustrations and agree that moving some of the features from one click doesn’t make much sense. My wife’s XC90 also requires multiple touches to adjust the seat heater, so maybe I’m just used to that.

I still drive in the snow and have managed not to die AND keep my butt warm.
Pretty low bar for $100k+ car. For the amount I spent on it, and considering all the hoopla how advanced and luxury it is, I would expect the UI to be super intuitive. Not automated (because Tesla automation is pretty bad and almost everything is beta) but intuitive.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Pretty low bar for $100k+ car. For the amount I spent on it, and considering all the hoopla how advanced and luxury it is, I would expect the UI to be super intuitive. Not automated (because Tesla automation is pretty bad and almost everything is beta) but intuitive.
I didn’t set that bar, others have by pointing out they think it’s now a death trap when driving in cold weather. Just giving my opinion as someone who drives in cold/snowy weather. I agree it should be better. But it took me like 2 seconds to figure out where the controls moved to, so it’s super intuitive for me, maybe not you.

Based on a very quick look of V11 after accepting the install:

The user configurable bottom bar is probably the best new feature. Unfortunately, some of the things that would be really nice to be able to put there are not able to be put there. Would prefer if they added the following options to be able to be put on the user configurable bottom bar:
  • Headlights on/park/off/auto.
  • Windshield wipers.
  • Fan speed with < > for one touch down/up.
  • Window defogger (front+rear/front/rear/off).
  • Heated seat control (separate for driver and passenger).
Replace the recents on the bottom bar with additional space for the user configurable things.

Add "headlights on when wipers are on" as a user configurable option for auto headlights.

V10 allowed putting displays like tire pressure on the bottom of the traffic display. It would be better to have that back, but they do not need to be as big as they were (and there is enough space to allow more than one such display.

Based on a very quick look of V11 after accepting the install:

The user configurable bottom bar is probably the best new feature. Unfortunately, some of the things that would be really nice to be able to put there are not able to be put there. Would prefer if they added the following options to be able to be put on the user configurable bottom bar:
  • Headlights on/park/off/auto.
  • Windshield wipers.
  • Fan speed with < > for one touch down/up.
  • Window defogger (front+rear/front/rear/off).
  • Heated seat control (separate for driver and passenger).
Replace the recents on the bottom bar with additional space for the user configurable things.

Add "headlights on when wipers are on" as a user configurable option for auto headlights.

V10 allowed putting displays like tire pressure on the bottom of the traffic display. It would be better to have that back, but they do not need to be as big as they were (and there is enough space to allow more than one such display.
You're discovering the issues that many of us have been unhappy with since V11 appeared almost 2 months ago. Light controls can be accessed by moving the left stalk forward or back. Fan speed does have one-touch functionality - just tap either side of the dot to move one speed step, or tap at the end of the line to jump the speed. Hopefully future updates might restore quicker access to frequently-used controls.

Reactions: Sporty