Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using climate keeper to prevent freezing of liquids in car overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have the system in automatic or manual? If automatic, the compressor was enabled. If manual, did you disable the compressor and set a manual fan speed?

LO with the compressor disabled will essentially do fan-only. On a non-heat pump car, enabling the compressor will do active cooling down to some lower limit of the system’s capabilities, although I don’t know what that limit is. On a heat pump car, I don’t know what it will do, but I suspect it will behave similarly.

Keeping climate on will keep the car computer running, which adds some heat to the interior simply by being on.

More rigorous testing would need to be performed to determine how well various settings protect the cabin from freezing.

I’m glad your wine is fine. Cheers.

Very detailed analysis, big Earl.

My car definitely has a heat pump given that it’s a 2022, and when I enable the climate keeper through the app, I don’t think there is a way to do it Manuel as you don’t have many options.

I cannot imagine that the car computer heated the car from a 39° interior to a 47° terrier when the outside temperature was 34°.

I do agree more rigorous testing is needed.

Reactions: scottf200
I cannot imagine that the car computer heated the car from a 39° interior to a 47° terrier when the outside temperature was 34°.
I think that’s perfectly possible. The car consumes about 300 watts when awake with all the computers on. That’s a not insignificant amount of heat.

Since we’re all navel gazing on such a strange topic with such descriptive details as “other liquids”…

It would have to be pretty damn cold outside to freeze a case of ~13% ABV wine overnight that was sitting inside a car heated to a “comfortable for humans” temperature when it was parked. That’s a lot of thermal mass to dissipate. The smallest amount of insulation (like what’s already present in the vehicle itself, the cardboard box, and maybe add a blanket or two) is a hell of a lot cheaper than running your car all night and likely just as effective unless we’re talking like extreme North Dakota style cold. There’s zero reason to do this in near-freezing temps like 20-30 Fahrenheit. Remember your car’s cabin is sitting all night right on top of a warm ~thousand pound battery.

Last edited:
I think that’s perfectly possible. The car consumes about 300 watts when awake with all the computers on. That’s a not insignificant amount of heat.

Since we’re all navel gazing on such a strange topic with such descriptive details as “other liquids”…

It would have to be pretty damn cold outside to freeze a case of ~13% ABV wine overnight that was sitting inside a car heated to a “comfortable for humans” temperature when it was parked. That’s a lot of thermal mass to dissipate. The smallest amount of insulation (like what’s already present in the vehicle itself, the cardboard box, and maybe add a blanket or two) is a hell of a lot cheaper than running your car all night and likely just as effective unless we’re talking like extreme North Dakota style cold. There’s zero reason to do this in near-freezing temps like 20-30 Fahrenheit. Remember your car’s cabin is sitting all night right on top of a warm ~thousand pound battery.
You do make some very valid points

i do wish they would give us more control over the climate settings at lower temperatures. Like if it's 0F outside, running the climate to maintain 45F inside while using a 12v electric blanket on my person will keep me acceptably comfortable while using much less power than running the climate at 69F. Even if not, it would be interesting to see the comparison.