Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB not recognised after formatting with car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bringing this up again. When I format my USB drive(Sandisk 256 GB) in the car, the drive gets formatted, but it is not creating a TeslaCam folder.

I get the camera icon with the red dot on it, but when I touch It to view teslacam, the teslacam viewer closes on me, and the camera icon disappears. If I then go to the security settings, it tells me to format the drive. If I click on format, the same thing happens again.

If I remove the drive and view it on a computer, the drive is blank. Once I create the TeslaCam folder, everything works as it’s supposed to. Until I reformat the drive in the car.

It’s not an end of the world type problem, but annoying to have to remove the drive to reformat and create a TeslaCam folder.

I am on 2021.36.8.

Any solution to this?
The solution for me when I had the same issues: a new MCU. And there are other folks with the same issues and the same solution that worked.

Reactions: f308gt4
Thanks. Could you explain what that involves? Were you having other issues as well?

My car is a Mar 2020 build date, if that matters.
I was not having any issues other than USB drive problems.

I suggest you keep pestering the service department telling them your issue hasn't been solved and that there are others with the same issue and it was solved with a new MCU. If you read all the posts on this forum about USB Device Malfunction you will see that there is nothing common about the date of the vehicles nor their location. It can't be a software issue because there would be thousands of folks with the problem. It wasn't a USB drive fault because they were all tested OK. It wasn't a USB hub issue because that was replaced with no relief. That only leaves a few candidates for being the problem: cables and the MCU.

Maybe there will eventually be a service bulletin about this issue if enough folks experience it.

Some folks are suggesting that the car isn't formatting correctly. because there aren't any subfolders. But when the car formats the USB drive it only names the drive and creates a TeslaCam folder. The subfolders aren't created until the car first writes to the drive with video clips.

• Informative
Reactions: f308gt4
Three years later, the TeslaCam folder still doesn't recreate itself after formatting from the car.
Any known solution for this that I may have missed?

I'm using a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader and 1TB Lexar MicroSD.
See attached
IMG_3987.jpeg

Thanks @RMannino, I wasn't aware that it's documented.

I'm curious why they are documenting this issue instead of fixing it. How hard can it be to create a 'TeslaCam' folder after formatting the drive from the car?

My car is parked in a public parking zone, which triggers a ton of Sentry clips. Usually, I skim through them and format the drive when I get a "full drive" error. I bought a 1TB card so the format won't happen as often, but now I can't even format the drive without PC access.

@EVRider-FL MY LR 2023. I'm able to format the drive from the car, but I can't use it (red X on the Sentry app). The drive only functions correctly after I create the 'TeslaCam' folder using my PC. (This doesn't happen with the original 128GB Tesla USB drive)
Read through this thread. Lots of information. I don’t know how to post a link to the thread. I guess search exact thread title.
IMG_3994.png

@EVRider-FL MY LR 2023. I'm able to format the drive from the car, but I can't use it (red X on the Sentry app). The drive only functions correctly after I create the 'TeslaCam' folder using my PC. (This doesn't happen with the original 128GB Tesla USB drive)
They might have some sanity check code somewhere that is checking for the Tesla drive, possibly to deconflict with drives that might be used for media or other functions. I'm presuming you plugged your drive into the glovebox port and there are no other drives plugged in anywhere in the car (just to eliminate center console ports being a variable).

Read through this thread. Lots of information. I don’t know how to post a link to the thread. I guess search exact thread title.
To post a link to a thread, just go to the thread, copy the URL from the address bar, and paste it into your reply. If the URL ends with page and post numbers, delete them if you want the link to go to the beginning of the thread. There might be better ways to do this, but that’s what I do and it works.

Reactions: RMannino
Thanks @RMannino, but the only useful info there is about creating the TeslaCam folder, which I'm already doing and it works.

@stopcrazypp Yes, the drive is connected to the glovebox port and there are no other drives plugged in anywhere else in the car.

I don't understand why they would document something so trivial instead of fixing it. If the absence of the TeslaCam folder prevents Sentry Mode from working, why allocate resources to document it rather than fixing the bug? It feels nonsensical.

Thanks @RMannino, but the only useful info there is about creating the TeslaCam folder, which I'm already doing and it works.

@stopcrazypp Yes, the drive is connected to the glovebox port and there are no other drives plugged in anywhere else in the car.

I don't understand why they would document something so trivial instead of fixing it. If the absence of the TeslaCam folder prevents Sentry Mode from working, why allocate resources to document it rather than fixing the bug? It feels nonsensical.
Adding a section in the manual can be done with a lower level employee and covers all bases. Trying to fix it with updates requires an engineer to put the work in and this doesn't necessarily fix it for everyone (especially given not everyone updates their car or gets the updates in a timely manner)?

This might also be something they purposefully don't intend to fix. Like if they were doing that function they would rather err on the car not creating TeslaCam, than for example accidentally creating it on a media drive and then formatting the wrong drive.