Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's definitely disturbing. I like my alcantra headliner. I think you may have a case if you wanted to push it as what you signed up and paid for isn't what you received. That alcantra throughout is one of the selling points of the perf model.

While I wholeheartedly agree, one thing of the MVPA we signed does state (and I didn't like this either) that the car can change without warning. It would be the wrong thing for Tesla to do (from a PR perspective), but I bet they could fall back on that in court. Though since it seems their legal team is actually a pod of failwhales, perhaps they'd still lose.

Yes, I agree they may find a way in the MVPA to get themselves out of this...however based on principle alone I don't think I would be a repeat customer no matter what they came out with. It is bad practice. I'm hoping that they realize how big of a deal this actually is (and I agree maybe the headliner is not an issue to most of the population) and fix it. Keep me updated if you guys hear anything and I will do the same. Still waiting for word from Ownership experience. 2 days and going?

I'm not at all happy about this. What does it save Tesla? $20-$30 if that much.
The change in headliner material actually may save them a *lot* more than that if, as I hypothesize, it is a factory efficiency issue.

But it's the way they went about it which is the real issue. If they'd announced the change in advance and it had been for people who had not finalized yet, people would probably shrug their shoulders and deal with it. What did it save them to shove the change out so quickly with no prior notice? Given the current (quite short) times from ordering to delivery, maybe two weeks of slowed production; they could have put all the remaining "finalized with Alcantara headliner" orders in a single queue, done them all at once, and then made the change. Why make a "stealth change"?

But it costs a lot more in customer satisfaction. This is penny wise and pound foolish. George B are you listening?
Yeah. This is another piece of utter carelessness when it comes to customer relations. And Tesla's developing a reputation for failing to communicate with customers appropriately.

I would be very pissed. They can't just start stripping features out like this. The *is* one of the selling point features of the P85. If this is a permanent change, they should *AT A MINIMUM* reduce the price of the P85.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone post photos of the cloth interior so we can compare with the above Alcantara photos?

Yes, I agree they may find a way in the MVPA to get themselves out of this...however based on principle alone I don't think I would be a repeat customer no matter what they came out with. It is bad practice. I'm hoping that they realize how big of a deal this actually is (and I agree maybe the headliner is not an issue to most of the population) and fix it. Keep me updated if you guys hear anything and I will do the same. Still waiting for word from Ownership experience. 2 days and going?

I went weeks without hearing anything on my HPWC. My local service rep finally got on them and then it showed up. So perhaps try that route?

I got a call from Customer Care about a week ago saying "by late April." My local service rep has no idea when it will show up. I'll just wait, as my 14-50 is fine, and the HWPC is going in in addition to the 14-50, so not a huge deal. Of course if it's May and I still don't have it, then I'll start being the squeaky wheel...

I went weeks without hearing anything on my HPWC. My local service rep finally got on them and then it showed up. So perhaps try that route?

I would be very pissed. They can't just start stripping features out like this. The *is* one of the selling point features of the P85. If this is a permanent change, they should *AT A MINIMUM* reduce the price of the P85.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone post photos of the cloth interior so we can compare with the above Alcantara photos?

I am very pissed but what can you do. I'm trying to be patient. It's bad enough thinking about how the interior will have to be torn apart if I want it fixed.
At work right now so I can't get to it right away...

- - - Updated - - -

How do I find out about the local service rep? Not my service advisor at the service center? Thanks.

Yes, sorry I meant the service advisor. I just asked them for help nudging Tesla

Thanks..yeah that is what I thought. He straight up told me this couldn't be handled in their service center. I drove straight to the service center (where I picked up the car) as soon as I realized the switch in headliner and couldn't believe my eyes. He didn't know what to say other than contact ownership experience.

I just got an email from Tesla ownership...they state the issue has been escalated to a "top level."

This is very poor form on Tesla's part. Much much worse than carrerascott getting plastic inserts instead of chrome ones in the rear hatch area (did that ever get resolved, Scott?!)

Wonder if some maverick at the factory made this call coz' I can't imagine GeorgeB and the like ever approving something like this. Hope this gets addressed soon; it'll be messy and painful to have to replace it outside the factory.

Here's how my cloth headliner looks (I have a lot of it given no pano roof); I'm happy with it but, there's no reason for someone who paid a pretty penny for the Perf to 'live with it':

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364530373.519715.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364530384.003168.jpg

Not that this is an excuse, but is it possible they are done with alcantara headliners altogether? Did I read correctly that it was only officially for Signatures? If so, it seems possible that they had excess from bulk orders and ended up using it for production P85s until it ran out.

This is very poor form on Tesla's part. Much much worse than carrerascott getting plastic inserts instead of chrome ones in the rear hatch area (did that ever get resolved, Scott?!)

According to my DS, the chrome rear hatch inserts were for Signature cars, and they used up the leftovers in some non-Sigs, and black plastic is what is the "norm." Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I do have chrome in the same place in the Frunk that i have black plastic in the trunk. I can only take their word on that since it's not an item mentioned in the car's description. As for the alcantara, that's obviously mentioned in the description of the car, even right now if you go to order online it says "Model S Performance features an interior replete with Alcantara and carbon fiber accents." (ps I didn't order the Carbon Fiber interior, so I have no carbon fiber accents anywhere -- I thought there were supposed to be some exterior carbon fiber, but I guess not.

It does have this disclaimer on the order page:

disclaimer.jpg

TM also posted (on their blog I think) a justification of why the Performance was such good value for money, noting that the Alcantara headliner was a $$$ option on the Porsche Panamera. I'm on my iPad at the mo and can't find it, but I clearly recall it, and if this isn't a production line screw up, it's exceptionally cheap of Tesla.

Ok glad you all agree. They need to be on the same page. My buddies P85 delivered 1 week before mine has the alcantara and looks great though it is tan with black interior. The fabric version appears so cheap it changes the entire feel of the interior for me. I've contacted ownership 2 days ago and am waiting to see what they say. To me, the alcantara was a HUGE selling point for the P85.
To those expecting delivery, just be aware of it. Mine is vin 8027.
I don't jump at Tesla for all the other minor issues, but this is a big deal and was kept internal. Almost as if they didn't want us to know. These small details can make or break a company in my opinion. It's the principle of the matter whether the car is 5k or 200k.
I hope they realize this because I don't think anyone would put up with this if this were a BMW or MB (speaking in terms of their reputation).

Will keep you updated on what TM says...hopefully sooner rather than later.

>>To me, the alcantara was a HUGE selling point for the P85.<< I AGREE - that's the ONLY reason why I spent the extra money. The fabric headliner seemd VERY CHEAP LOOKING and when you spend over $100K you don't want CHEAP. I didn't really care about the stronger motor......1 Second is not a big deal for me. The interior was my main focus.

It seems like Tesla is feeling the pressure of GROSS MARGINS. It makes no sense for them to change the interior unless they are having supplier issues and if that's the case they should have
informed reservation holders. My arrived at the end of Feb. and it has the Alcantara.