Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS- I don't want one of those other cars. I would buy one or both of them if I wanted. I just want my P85D to put out the 691 HP I paid for, not 560 HP. Is that too hard to understand?

Have you emailed ownership at Tesla motors . com to ask what the official explanation is? Or, if you don't get a satisfactory response, Jerome Guillen directly?

While obviously many (most?) here, myself included, are satisfied that our cars originally advertised as being able to do 0-60 in 3.2s can do it in 3.1 or even 3.05s, you clearly are not. Fine. We get that. But you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Have you emailed ownership at Tesla motors . com to ask what the official explanation is? Or, if you don't get a satisfactory response, Jerome Guillen directly?

While obviously many (most?) here, myself included, are satisfied that our cars originally advertised as being able to do 0-60 in 3.2s can do it in 3.1 or even 3.05s, you clearly are not. Fine. We get that. But you're barking up the wrong tree here.

The P85D was also advertised as being 691HP, which implies that not only is it fast 0-60, but that it should also have significantly more 60-90 passing power versus previous single motor P85 cars. That appears not to be the case. I don't think he's barking up the wrong tree by starting a thread here to see if the community can corroborate the thesis. I too am a P85D owner and have noticed far less than 'insane' acceleration after 60mph. I will be watching the April 30th "announcements" as well as this thread closely.

Nope, sorry- I am barking up the right tree as I have NO explanation thus far, and just people like you who wont stop telling me that "the car does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, its fine, who cares how much actual HP it outputs, as long as it performs a 0-60 run as advertised". Great, I get your point- maybe this isn't a thread you should feel the need to check and respond to any more?

Yes, you created it with this title: P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

For the P85D, the Tesla website says 691 hp motor power. All of the other models state XXX hp with no modifier.

You got your asterisk. Mission accomplished. Time to move on.

Negative. See above response. The motors do not output 691 horsepower, therefore needing an official explanation from Tesla. Mission is NOT accomplished. Maybe you should move on and not read this thread any more.

- - - Updated - - -

The P85D was also advertised as being 691HP, which implies that not only is it fast 0-60, but that it should also have significantly more 60-90 passing power versus previous single motor P85 cars. That appears not to be the case. I don't think he's barking up the wrong tree by starting a thread here to see if the community can corroborate the thesis. I too am a P85D owner and have noticed far less than 'insane' acceleration after 60mph. I will be watching the April 30th "announcements" as well as this thread closely.

Thank you. The "Insane" mode on the P85D is just as "Insane" as a P85 and even an S85/S85D after 60MPH. Hardly "insane" and hardly 269 more horsepower of a car after the 3 seconds of acceleration to 60MPH.

The motors do not output 691 horsepower, therefore needing an official explanation from Tesla. Mission is NOT accomplished. Maybe you should move on and not read this thread any more.

You seem to believe that horsepower is some kind of universal constant that can be used to compare performance characteristics universally when it doesn't work that way. In a car with one gear driven by an electric motor that has the exact same horsepower as an ICE with a gearbox, you will see completely different performance at different speed bands. It doesn't mean that either horsepower rating was wrong, just that the drive systems and motors have different performance characteristics. As I have pointed out previously, there are defined methods for rating horsepower on electric motors and I'd be willing to bet that Tesla is in complete conformance with those methods. It is certainly true that the end result is a car that performs worse from 50-100 than an ICE with 691hp, but that doesn't make the rating for Tesla wrong.

I'm completely with you Kris81,

All the other tesla's perform better than advertised and the p85d doesn't.
For me at the moment it's a "freak"car that's insanely fast from standstill to let's say 60mph. Only if the car isn't in warm or hot state.
From 60mph to 100mph it's just fast and from above 100mph my current biturbo diesel (313hp) outruns this tesla very easily.
I'll wait with buying one untill it keeps performing at high speeds as it does most of the time on low speeds. Maybe april 30th by firmware, maybe different batteries needed or better cooler. Whatever, I'll wait for that.
See Ya!

@kris - EarlyAdopter has a point.
You have paid $100K+ for a car you don't believe meets its stated specifications.

It's one thing to bitch about it endlessly on here, but the logical thing to do is to contact Tesla and get their response to your complaint.

Of course I am sure we will all be very interested to hear the response from Tesla.

You seem to believe that horsepower is some kind of universal constant that can be used to compare performance characteristics universally when it doesn't work that way. In a car with one gear driven by an electric motor that has the exact same horsepower as an ICE with a gearbox, you will see completely different performance at different speed bands. It doesn't mean that either horsepower rating was wrong, just that the drive systems and motors have different performance characteristics. As I have pointed out previously, there are defined methods for rating horsepower on electric motors and I'd be willing to bet that Tesla is in complete conformance with those methods. It is certainly true that the end result is a car that performs worse from 50-100 than an ICE with 691hp, but that doesn't make the rating for Tesla wrong.

wrong on all accounts.

The P85D outputs only up to 411-414kW at the inverter which is barely 560HP

The P85 has been shown to output 360-370kW which is well over the advertised 417HP, closer to 460-470HP

The S85D has been shown to output over 371kWh which again, is closer to 460-470HP (advertised at 422HP)

Not that I want "more than advertised power" - I just want the HP that was marketed and hyped by Tesla. Clearly their other vehicles meet and beat these advertised numbers and that's great. Why does the P85D fall short by almost 150 horsepower? That's my point.

if I emailed Tesla about it I would get some random response and that's it. By having a huge thread here I hope Tesla will see there is genuine interest and concern and will address it accordingly.

Why even have a public forum to discuss concerns with our cars then, if we can simply email Tesla for all the answers we seek? Give me a break. People who are ok with the car showing less than advertised power, 150 HP which is huge, shouldn't even be in this thread because apparently they like to be told they are buying one thing, but end up with another. I'll be happy to sell them a 5600sq ft home for the price of a 6910sq ft home in the same neighborhood with the same features. I'll bet they will be perfectly fine with that. I wouldn't be.

if I emailed Tesla about it I would get some random response and that's it. By having a huge thread here I hope Tesla will see there is genuine interest and concern and will address it accordingly.

In my experience over two and a half years ownership, Tesla is more responsive to owners emailing them with questions and concerns directly than random people posting on this non-official forum. Sure, they'll occasionally reach out and contact owners who post problems here, but only in cases where there's a mechanical failure reported and it's clear who the owner is, through self identification (VIN number in signature, real name used as user name, etc).

Right now, you've got neither going for you. What have you got to lose in emailing them? 5 minutes to write up your concerns and register your complaint with them directly, officially, unequivocally. Sure, you might get a canned response, but it'll be a response none the less and you will ensure they've heard you. More than you're getting here.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm completely with you Kris81,

All the other tesla's perform better than advertised and the p85d doesn't.
For me at the moment it's a "freak"car that's insanely fast from standstill to let's say 60mph. Only if the car isn't in warm or hot state.
From 60mph to 100mph it's just fast and from above 100mph my current biturbo diesel (313hp) outruns this tesla very easily.
I'll wait with buying one untill it keeps performing at high speeds as it does most of the time on low speeds. Maybe april 30th by firmware, maybe different batteries needed or better cooler. Whatever, I'll wait for that.
See Ya!

Such is the nature of having only a single gear "transmission" in the Model S. Imagine how poorly an internal combustion engine car would do if it was stuck in 6th gear. That's what the Model S is working with.

What's the point of my one email? They can look on this thread and see other people want answers too. I seriously have no idea why anyone cares if I email them or not. If you are fine with getting 150HP less than you are supposed to and buying a 691HP vehicle to find out it only has 560HP, then move along- this isn't your topic. In fact, people who are going against this thought process is probably affecting a potential response by Tesla and is counterproductive. Take your cute little meme pics to another thread perhaps?

Because of this its funny, so many people have messaged me and told me how stoked they are that I brought this subject to light ever since I started the topic. I can't even tell you how many people tell me they would rather not post publicly because of the backlash they would get here on TMC because of the attitudes of certain members. How crazy is that.. now I know what they meant. If people don't agree with the thread, they come in here trashing you. Its pathetic.

What's the point of my one email? They can look on this thread and see other people want answers too. I seriously have no idea why anyone cares if I email them or not. If you are fine with getting 150HP less than you are supposed to and buying a 691HP vehicle to find out it only has 560HP, then move along- this isn't your topic. In fact, people who are going against this thought process is probably affecting a potential response by Tesla and is counterproductive. Take your cute little meme pics to another thread perhaps?

Because of this its funny, so many people have messaged me and told me how stoked they are that I brought this subject to light ever since I started the topic. I can't even tell you how many people tell me they would rather not post publicly because of the backlash they would get here on TMC because of the attitudes of certain members. How crazy is that.. now I know what they meant. If people don't agree with the thread, they come in here trashing you. Its pathetic.

I'm not trashing you, I'm wondering why you think the right person from Tesla will magically wade into this thread and take action. It's not a company forum.

I'm not trashing you, I'm wondering why you think the right person from Tesla will magically wade into this thread and take action. It's not a company forum.

I wasn't specifically targeting you, its a couple of the other people above.

It's pretty well known that employees of Tesla check this forum and specifically reach out and make things happen based on feedback here, so I guess that's what I am hoping the outcome is. It certainly needs to be addressed publicly, not by some direct email to me.

I wasn't specifically targeting you, its a couple of the other people above.

It's pretty well known that employees of Tesla check this forum and specifically reach out and make things happen based on feedback here, so I guess that's what I am hoping the outcome is. It certainly needs to be addressed publicly, not by some direct email to me.

I for one am quite interested in what Tesla would have to say, which is why I'm encourging an email. I haven't heard Tesla taking action based on a forum post here in quite some time. And when they did it was usually for an egregious service issue or fault.

I for one am quite interested in what Tesla would have to say, which is why I'm encourging an email. I haven't heard Tesla taking action based on a forum post here in quite some time. And when they did it was usually for an egregious service issue or fault.

Who is the top dog at Tesla I can email and send a link to this thread then? If anyone knows the name and email address I'll be happy to do it then..

wrong on all accounts.

The P85D outputs only up to 411-414kW at the inverter which is barely 560HP

The P85 has been shown to output 360-370kW which is well over the advertised 417HP, closer to 460-470HP

The S85D has been shown to output over 371kWh which again, is closer to 460-470HP (advertised at 422HP)

Electric motors are not rated by the amount of input power applied, nor does the actual power produced in the installation directly equate to the horsepower rating of the motor. Should Tesla redefine the methodology of rating electric motors to fit your criterion (which appears to be to use input power applied in the application), the new numbers would seem to me to less reflective of the actual performance of the cars. Furthermore, it would require them to change the actual rating of the motor anytime they changed the software to apply more input power.