Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the steering feel much lighter on my Model S than my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All: I took delivery of a new Model S in May and immediately noticed that the steering feel is much lighter across all three modes when compared to my 2023 Model 3. For example, in Sport Mode, I would say the Model S feel is about 50% as heavy as the Model 3. The difference is so stark that my first reaction was to think there was something wrong with the Model S. Does anyone have any insights as to why this is the case? I much prefer the heavier steering feel of the Model 3. Thanks!

I too have a new 2023 S and and a 2021 3. Both are in Sport Steering. And indeed, the S is noticeably lighter in terms of steering heft. It's done on purpose by Tesla. The S appeals to a different demographic vs the 3. The S appeals to those who may be coming from a BMW 5 series and the 3 from a 3 series. Priorities of each type of own are different. The S buyer wants a more comfortable ride with steering that he/she doesn't have to wrestle with. The owner of a 3 wants a more "connected" feeling and more sportiness. Even the steering ratios are way different. The S requires more steering input to change direction where as the 3 has a "quicker" ratio so small inputs cause larger steering angle changes.

In my opinion, Sport Steering in a S is more like Standard in the 3. Standard in a S is more like Comfort in a 3. The average S driver most likely only some semblance of sportiness so Tesla engineers still overboots the level of assist vs the 3.

Interesting thread. I have the Hannshow wheel on mine and no matter what setting I have, the steering is steering seems more heavily weighted than my 3. With the yoke, I felt it was much lighter. Likely it is because the Hansshow wheel is a smaller diameter than the yoke.

Interesting thread. I have the Hannshow wheel on mine and no matter what setting I have, the steering is steering seems more heavily weighted than my 3. With the yoke, I felt it was much lighter. Likely it is because the Hansshow wheel is a smaller diameter than the yoke.
Absolutely! You have a longer lever arm with more distance from the center of the steering wheel. A smaller circumference wheel will always require more torque to turn with all things being equal.

I'm having my yoke swapped out by Tesla for the wheel on my 2023 S this week and it would be interesting to see if the steering heft goes up.