Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes 3 dynos now. This is the highest with the other two being in the 430 range. We were new it had to be at least 460 as P85s dyno in the 430 range but if you put a P85 next to a P85D at 50 mph and then hit it, the P85D will walk away from the P85, but real slow like.

Can you ask him to double check and make sure they did *not* correct for temperature, pressure, and humidity like they would for an ICE?

- - - Updated - - -

Using my VBOX, this is the highest reading I got at 90% SOC which is a bit higher than the dyno results. I would tend to believe a real dyno over this but I used the vbox on 2 of my other cars and after you factor in the drive shaft to wheel loss, they both came in very very close to the manufacturer specs:

90SOC0to60.jpg

Peak of 498 at the wheels. Obviously still far short of 691 hp even if you give a *very* generous loss from the motor shaft to the wheels.

The shape of the power curve is identical to dyno post above.

Here is blog post about that test (in Finnish :biggrin:).
http://www.teslaclub.fi/blog/22/P85D+dyno-testissä/

There were two runs, both with 99% charge.

There's also a video in the end.

They removed traction control fuse after first try.

results were 770 Nm and 460 hp

Max rpm was 18 330.

That dyno has been used with cars up to 2000 hp.
I dumped the link into Google translate and it seems to be saying that given the ramping torque curve (rather than instant peak torque until a certain point and then ramping down) like an ICE car they are not sure if the car had been limiting power or if it was measuring properly. I can't tell if this is an eddy current dyno (like Mustang dyno) or inertial dyno (like Dynojet). What does "Tatechin dyno" mean?

^I don't personally know him. I think it is best, if you ask here [email protected] (=email address of that blog site) because I'm not expert in this :)

Ps. In the video he says, that those readings are corrected for motor output, not on wheels.

I'm pretty sure he means corrected to sea level standard pressure and humidity, so yea, they messed that up. It probably won't make a huge difference but it might depending on if it was real cold or hot or high altitude.

- - - Updated - - -

I dumped the link into Google translate and it seems to be saying that given the ramping torque curve (rather than instant peak torque until a certain point and then ramping down) like an ICE car they are not sure if the car had been limiting power or if it was measuring properly. I can't tell if this is an eddy current dyno (like Mustang dyno) or inertial dyno (like Dynojet). What does "Tatechin dyno" mean?

The torque curves on all 3 dynos I've seen match the g-force reading on the vbox exactly. But the main point is the by the time peak power hits, torque is already far below peak. In that dyno it was already back down to 500 by the time peak power hit.

Why do people have the need to do this nonsense? One cannot 'correct' for motor power.
One can only take out the motor and measure shaft power.

It's been done this way for decades, and it is not BS. With motors closer to the wheels, there is probably even less increase to arrive at shaft power (fewer losses than an ICE drive trane). That only makes it more impossible to explain away ~200HP shortfalls.

World would be way better if only people stopped BSing.

The people you seem to be addressing didn't cost you anything.

Absolutely correct. The world would be better if Tesla stops BSing about how much hp their car makes.

I'd just like to thank Kris for starting this thread and continuing to keep it on track despite others who have accused him of persistent whining. I have a P85+ and was planning to get a P85D, so this has been important to me. I'm sorry that those who've ridiculed Kris have apparently been forced to keep reading and posting. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people have the need to do this nonsense? One cannot 'correct' for motor power.
One can only take out the motor and measure shaft power.
World would be way better if only people stopped BSing.

The video may say that, but that's not what he meant. Either bad translation or he was confused. He meant SAE corrected for pressure, air temperature, and humidity which would be in error on a motor that is not effected by those conditions. Dynos don't correct for drive train loss.

Hey guys,

I just found this on the Canadian Model S Spec page (Model S | Tesla Motors Canada). As you can see, all models have a "hp motor power" and a "hp" EXCEPT the P85D. This is weird...

View attachment 89253

It's not weird. They have to do it this way because when the P85D didn't actually meet the combined spec, they removed it and listed the individual motors separately only. The P90DL will actually have to have that combined power produced all at once to achieve a 10.9 second 1/4 in a 5000 lb car, but if they go back a combined power spec, it will call yet more attention to the outside world the that the P85D wasn't nearly 691 hp.

It's not weird. They have to do it this way because when the P85D didn't actually meet the combined spec, they removed it and listed the individual motors separately only. The P90DL will actually have to have that combined power produced all at once to achieve a 10.9 second 1/4 in a 5000 lb car, but if they go back a combined power spec, it will call yet more attention to the outside world the that the P85D wasn't nearly 691 hp.

Will the P90DL actually have to be able to produce that power all at once in order to achieve a 10.9 second 1/4? (You know a lot more about this than me, so I'll defer to you.) I'm asking, because the skeptic in me is wondering if it's possible that it doesn't have to, Tesla will again meet the speed specs they've announced, and that an additional reason the HP is not included on the website is that once again the car may not be capable of making the full 762 HP all at once, at any time. (Just as the P85D couldn't make 691 HP all at once, at any time.)

If I did the math right, the 1500A Elon referred to will get to the motor/inverter at the ~500-525kW level when the pack is full (ridiculous voltage drop at this amperage........) which is close to the original 691 HP number, but not quite the new 762 HP number. I'm starting to think they just make these numbers up. :confused: