Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a discussion for about a hundred other threads, but my point is that the actual size of the battery was probably not a real issue for many average people, but rather what that battery could do.

691 HP, on the other hand, was a number and a description that even to your average consumer held some meaning, at least in rough terms.

I don't think anyone, or at least not nearly as many people would be expressing any concern about this if the 691 HP originally claimed turned out to be 680 HP or 670 HP. But the fact that it isn't even close to that 691 figure is the reason people are writing about it. (I'm not that on top of this, but isn't the general consensus that the max HP is actually well under 600?) The difference is significant.

An AWD gasoline car typically loses 20-25% of its power by the time it reaches the wheels. So a "691hp" AWD car will typically see about ~520-550whp. Yet people don't really stress over that. I don't know how much the general public really cares about the power rating, over something like 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers (similar of 85kWh vs the range number).

Andyw2100:
The battery is an 85kWh battery. Some of the capacity is reserved, and is not available for every day driving. That doesn't mean the battery is not an 85kWh battery.

Advanced Automotive Batteries tested the battery in Model S 85 and reported:
Cell Capacity, Ah, Rated 3.25 Actual 3.1 Battery Capacity, kWh, Rated 85 Actual 80

wk057 measured single cell capacity. His chart may not be exact, but the curve he got just does not look like an 3200mAh cell. 85 pack of LiIon cells would have to be ~3200mAh at 3.6V nominal.
I numerically integrated that curve and got 10,3Wh or 73kWh for the pack.

Tesla may be doing some magic to get 15% more out of a single cell that wk057 got or wk057 had some 'bad' equipment. Or the pack just isn't 85kWh. The other hint is 70D is designated 70 and not 74 that would logically follow from what is known about 85 and 70's pack.

But one may believe what he wants to believe. I for one want to believe that which happens to be real. If I need to change my beliefs to accommodate reality, so be it.

Every car manufacturer advertises the peak possible engine hp, not "at the wheels hp." If I order a motor (or motors) rated at 691 horsepower (gas or electric), what that means is that it is the peak horsepower the MOTOR is capable of. If the engine output is limited by other factors, like a low performance fuel pump, transmission, gearing, drag, or a LACK OF ADEQUATE ELECTRICITY, that doesn't mean the motors are not capable of 691 hp. In fact, given adequate electricity, these Tesla motors probably could produce a lot more than that (at a cost of longevity, heat, etc). So, its possible that Tesla is merely limiting its 691 hp motors until adequate test data is available, or to provide another news worthy event by changing a 3.1 sec car to a 2.9 sec car, or some other reason...who knows at this point.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Every car manufacturer advertises SAE hp at the crank. It's arrived at by taking the production motor with all of the equipment attached that will appear on the production vehicle including intake, exhaust, emissions equipment such as catalytic converters, mufflers, fuel pump, etc. The power is measured at the crank and then corrected for barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature. Most manufacturers do this under SAE J1349 or J1995.

Mazda got sued over overstating the RX8's power by a mere 10 hp. As part of the settlement, they were forced to buy back the car by anyone who asked. The engine in the RX8, with a few simple boltons produces far more than the advertised hp, but this didn't matter as it had to produce the hp that was advertised in the form it came in from the factory. There have been dozen of other such law suits in the past couple of decades for similarly insignificant differences in claimed vs actual power.

Even under optimal conditions, the P85D comes nowhere near close to producing the claimed hp. It's off by at least 150. I would hazard a guess that Tesla has overstated their hp claims of the P85D by more than any other manufacturer of any car in history.

@wk057

Thought experiment: If Tesla offers 200 kWh packs in 2020 and one or more individuals manages to get that battery accepted by a 2015 P85D and it's able to deliver "691hp at once" under at least some realistic road conditions, is Tesla's original claim vindicated?

The answer of course is their original claim would not be vindicated if the car could not produce the power as equipped. Many cars can have their power increased by trivial changes. Forced induction engines often can produce a great deal more power by simply telling the ECU to open the wastegate at a higher pressure. This of course voids the warranty.

Now, they might climb out of the hole if the car *CAN* produce the claimed hp with a software update. Technically the car didn't produce the power advertised at the time of sale but if they end up fixing it with a software update then they'll probably avoid litigation on this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

An AWD gasoline car typically loses 20-25% of its power by the time it reaches the wheels. So a "691hp" AWD car will typically see about ~520-550whp. Yet people don't really stress over that. I don't know how much the general public really cares about the power rating, over something like 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers (similar of 85kWh vs the range number).

I would be happy if the P85D could produce anywhere near close to 550 rwhp.

Those 0.15V at the start cannot store additional 10kWh. Voltage drops really fast there, it could account for maybe a kwh, not much more.

I'm not an expert, but this was the difference between rated 85 vs. actual 80 in the report you quoted.

http://www.advancedautobat.com/industry-reports/2014-Tesla-report/Extract-from-the-Tesla-battery-report.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

What about hybrids? I continue to read their max hp as sum of engine and motor power.
Not a single mention of them being unable to actualy output that power at any single time as electric motor reaches its maxmum way before the ice does.

In Finland their power is not advertised as adding electric and ice maximum power but actual power that is available.

Yes, mea culpa. They also used 3,6 as nominal voltage, which is 'strange' but panasonic also uses 3,6 or sometims 3,65. At the end of day it boils down to wh. Wk measured 73 and claimed bad instruments. There was this other guy I cannot find any more that measured smilar numbers. Tesla reserves some capacity for better lifetime but it exposes it when range charging to 100% - 4,2v.

maybe not in finland but here in slovenia citroen advertses its ds5 hybrid4 as 200 hp car without words like combined motor power.

in finland they list it as 163hp diesel with 37hp electric motor.

Last edited:
The one foot roll out is the only practical way to eliminate the often very large difference in people's reaction times.

My only comment on that is the "delay" is not only people's reaction time but also turbo, pedal and other engine response delays which the Tesla has very little of. In fact, that is one of the reasons that I bought the Tesla, very little delay from when you hit the pedal to when you start to move.

This thread is going around in circles a bit. I think a poster put it quite nicely a few posts back to say the two motors do have the stated power but they don't put out their max power at the same time.

I think tesla did make a mistake when they advertised it as 691 combined motorpower, whilst technically true what they failed to mention which was then later discovered by you lot is, on paper it is combined power but this did not translate to peak power due to mappings or whatever.

As as far as I'm concerned whatever the mapping is, the tesla is massively fast. Not many cars can hit their paper times. Nearly all require launch control if available, it is extremely hard to launch a dinosaur car to the paper figures.

In fact just tonight I tried to launch my jaguar xfr, it has been tuned slightly to put out 545bhp on average, I set it up on a perfect surface in race mode and launched it. I never normally do this, no need to but it felt much much slower than a tesla, way slower. The only time it feels like it has the legs on a tesla is at speeds higher than 60mph (possibly much higer) when you feel the transmission jolt, coupled with the noise. I think it's probably more obvious post 100mph but I haven't driven a p85d past 75mph.

I heard that using energy draw measurements that the tesla draws the equivelant of 5xx bhp, I think I read that in this thread. Compared to a transitional supercharger v8 putting out as near as dam it 550bhp the tesla just walks all over it until you get into silly speeds. So whatever they have done it works for me. Also considering the p85d is quite a bit heavier than my xfr. Regardless of the paper figured, motor power or not, something voodoo is going on.

Ultimately I think the wording wasn't thought through enough.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Every car manufacturer advertises SAE hp at the crank. It's arrived at by taking the production motor with all of the equipment attached that will appear on the production vehicle including intake, exhaust, emissions equipment such as catalytic converters, mufflers, fuel pump, etc. The power is measured at the crank and then corrected for barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature. Most manufacturers do this under SAE J1349 or J1995.

Mazda got sued over overstating the RX8's power by a mere 10 hp. As part of the settlement, they were forced to buy back the car by anyone who asked. The engine in the RX8, with a few simple boltons produces far more than the advertised hp, but this didn't matter as it had to produce the hp that was advertised in the form it came in from the factory. There have been dozen of other such law suits in the past couple of decades for similarly insignificant differences in claimed vs actual power.

Even under optimal conditions, the P85D comes nowhere near close to producing the claimed hp. It's off by at least 150. I would hazard a guess that Tesla has overstated their hp claims of the P85D by more than any other manufacturer of any car in history.
There's a couple things different here. There is no SAE horsepower rating procedure for EVs yet (they are working on it, I mentioned the SAE number somewhere in this thread but too lazy to dig it up). Tesla never claimed they have an SAE rating (because nobody does), they very carefully described the number as "motor power", and now in response to concerns raised in this thread, they even removed the reference to 691hp.

About the Rx8, I don't believe there was ever a lawsuit over horsepower (although there were for other engine defects). The buyback and coupon offer for horsepower is mainly to quell the backlash over the issue (it wasn't selling well in the first place, so this would just be another nail in the coffin). Officially Mazda said the lower chassis dyno results may be from ECU pulling back on detecting abnormal conditions and some late tuning they had to do related to catalytic converter longevity.

The ECU pulling back can be the same issue in the dyno tests of the P85D so far. Otherwise I don't see a very good reason why so far the results are *less* than what the P85 was measured at, esp given the REST numbers are far higher. Someone who pulls REST at the same time as a dyno run may be able to answer some questions there.

This thread still going?

I thought it was established many posts ago that the P85D is battery limited to iro 550hp max.

Tesla originally advertised the P85D as a 691hp car, then updated it to "fitted with 221+470hp motors" = 691hp.
Note the 85D and 70D have an hp rating with no reference to motors on the website.
The difference being that they can actually draw enough from the battery to achieve their rated output.

I would go further than this to say that the 85D is likely software limited for acceleration from standstill, as the power ramp up is not as fast as the P85D and there seems no reason for this other than marketing, ie to leave a big enough gap to the P85D.

The 70D however cannot generate the same power as it runs off lower battery voltage.

This whole thread started due to a query whether the full 691hp was available at all SoC.
The answer appears to be.
No, in fact it never does reach that power output, and yes the power does decline with Soc but only as you would expect it to.

What remains interesting is if Tesla are holding anything back.
Is the P85D/85KWH battery capable of more? we simply dont know although WK057 found it is already close to the fuse values in the pack, so unlikely much more if any.
What if a new gen battery appears with higher current flow, would P85Ds be upgradeable?

I would go further than this to say that the 85D is likely software limited for acceleration from standstill, as the power ramp up is not as fast as the P85D and there seems no reason for this other than marketing, ie to leave a big enough gap to the P85D.
Doesn't the 85D have a smaller motor and inverter in the back? That may be the bottleneck, not the battery or some sort of software limitation.

There's a couple things different here. There is no SAE horsepower rating procedure for EVs yet (they are working on it, I mentioned the SAE number somewhere in this thread but too lazy to dig it up). Tesla never claimed they have an SAE rating (because nobody does), they very carefully described the number as "motor power", and now in response to concerns raised in this thread, they even removed the reference to 691hp.

About the Rx8, I don't believe there was ever a lawsuit over horsepower (although there were for other engine defects). The buyback and coupon offer for horsepower is mainly to quell the backlash over the issue (it wasn't selling well in the first place, so this would just be another nail in the coffin). Officially Mazda said the lower chassis dyno results may be from ECU pulling back on detecting abnormal conditions and some late tuning they had to do related to catalytic converter longevity.

The ECU pulling back can be the same issue in the dyno tests of the P85D so far. Otherwise I don't see a very good reason why so far the results are *less* than what the P85 was measured at, esp given the REST numbers are far higher. Someone who pulls REST at the same time as a dyno run may be able to answer some questions there.

There was a lawsuit but it did not go to trail. It settled out of court.

REST numbers were not taken with the two P85D dyno runs so we don't know what the car claimed it was pulling from the battery. It could have been too warm, or too cold. Who knows. Clearly the P85D under optimal conditions should dyno more than a P85 but the two that have been done so far are right around P85 numbers.

At any rate, the highest REST number ever obtained from a P85D is 414 KW which means that the most the P85D could ever produce with 414KW is 555 hp. But of course that assumes 0 loss through the inverter and through the motor. We don't know what those losses are. So the P85D is producing less than 555 hp under optimal 90% SOC with a warm but not too warm battery.

The SAE standards obviously don't apply to electric vehicle power testing, but 745.7 watts is still = to 1 hp no matter how you slice it. The REST numbers simply put an upper end on what the P85D could theoretically be making. It cannot make more than 555 hp under 100% zero loss conditions and it's probably making a lot less by the time it hits the motor shaft. I stress motor shaft because it's the most apples to apples comparison with the driveshaft of an ICE.

That said, we can give Tesla some discounts that make one of it's peak hp much better than an ICE's peak hp.

1) Instant response. No downshifting. No waiting for extra fuel and air to make it in response to the ECU telling the throttle body(s) to open open.
2) All wheel drive efficiency. The P85D doesn't have the same inefficiencies normally associated with AWD cars. AWD ICE cars have to transfer their mechanical energy through much more linkage and mass. Transmission, flywheel, transfer case, half shafts, etc non of which the P85D has. An AWD ICE car typically has 20 to 25% drivetrain loss loss. The P85D should be much less.
3) Width of power band. The Tesla produces it's power flat such that once you hit peak it mostly stays there. ICE cars have narrow peak power points such that the job of the transmission is to put gears just before and after the peak keeping you as close top the peak as possible. This is why the Tesla is so much faster from a stop. If you graph the power curve and integrate the area under the curve, the Tesla puts down much more power for the same peak power than an ICE does. This is why a P85D with 500 something real hp at the motor shaft will always kill an ICE from 0 to 60 as long as you're not slipping the clutch and relying on kinetic energy spooled up in a flywheel. Computer controlled versions of this are called launch control and even then it's hit and miss only working a fraction of the time. The P85D is pretty much a 100% consistent ride. I was stunned how my VBOX readings at 77 % to 74% produces such consistent 3.2 0-60 times within a 100 ms.

These factors make an AWD electric car with X hp much better, faster, and responsive than an ICE car with the same rated X hp.

It's just a darn shame that Tesla overrated the P85D by so much.

Note, I'm still hopeful they'll fix this. They're still telling customers when the ask directly that it's 691 hp. That's more likely because the CS reps haven't received instructions on telling customers anything different. I'm sure this issue is being taken extremely seriously and I'm hopeful they'll fix this.

There are those that are trying to claim Tesla didn't lie because the motor power of the two motors added up = 691 and nowhere did Tesla state that they'd produce that power together at one point in time.

TESLA IS NOT MAKING THIS STATEMENT THEMSELVES. This is speculation by other members. And if it's not what Tesla intended, it doesn't mean they lied. It just might mean they made a mistake or they got ahead of themselves and advertised something they intended to deliver but haven't quite yet.

I seriously doubt they'll try and fallback on word games as others have. When they advertised 691 hp, customers expect that the car will perform like a car that actually has 691 hp and in certain important ways, the P85D doesn't. It cannot accelerate as fast from a rolling start as cars that have even a much lower power to weight ratio spec. Tesla has a claimed weight to power ratio in the 7:1 range yet it performs like other ICE cars that have a ratio of 9:1 when comparing 50-70 and 70-90 passing.

Note, I'm still hopeful they'll fix this. They're still telling customers when the ask directly that it's 691 hp. That's more likely because the CS reps haven't received instructions on telling customers anything different. I'm sure this issue is being taken extremely seriously and I'm hopeful they'll fix this.

There are those that are trying to claim Tesla didn't lie because the motor power of the two motors added up = 691 and nowhere did Tesla state that they'd produce that power together at one point in time.

TESLA IS NOT MAKING THIS STATEMENT THEMSELVES. This is speculation by other members. And if it's not what Tesla intended, it doesn't mean they lied. It just might mean they made a mistake or they got ahead of themselves and advertised something they intended to deliver but haven't quite yet.

I seriously doubt they'll try and fallback on word games as others have. When they advertised 691 hp, customers expect that the car will perform like a car that actually has 691 hp and in certain important ways, the P85D doesn't.
I am less hopeful that you are. As I pointed up thread, the "motor power" rating was not targeted specifically for the P85D. The entire line-up had the power ratings rewritten to "motor power" at the same time:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ower-numbers-for-tesla-model-s-whats-the-deal

Those numbers were intended to reflect the power of the motor only and not what the car as a whole package would put out. This is evident in how both the 60kWh and 85kWh was re-rated to 380hp "motor power", when they were limited previously to 302hp and 362 hp. There was no hardware change announced, just a re-rating to "motor power".

Note how Tesla has now reversed back that marketing back to the old 362hp number (no more reference to "motor power") for the 85kWh (60kWh is discontinued). For the P85D they have still left only the motor power ratings for the separate motors and no combined number yet. Perhaps they still have some updates coming before they can put a final number, but I'm not so optimistic about that given there hasn't been much news on this front.

I am less hopeful that you are. As I pointed up thread, the "motor power" rating was not targeted specifically for the P85D. The entire line-up had the power ratings rewritten to "motor power" at the same time:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ower-numbers-for-tesla-model-s-whats-the-deal

Those numbers were intended to reflect the power of the motor only and not what the car as a whole package would put out. This is evident in how both the 60kWh and 85kWh was re-rated to 380hp "motor power", when they were limited previously to 302hp and 362 hp. There was no hardware change announced, just a re-rating to "motor power".

Note how Tesla has now reversed back that marketing back to the old 362hp number (no more reference to "motor power") for the 85kWh (60kWh is discontinued). For the P85D they have still left only the motor power ratings for the separate motors and no combined number yet. Perhaps they still have some updates coming before they can put a final number, but I'm not so optimistic about that given there hasn't been much news on this front.

That's probably their corporate lawyers trying to mitigate the damage as much as possible. I wouldn't assume that reflects on the engineering side of things. But the point is taken.

I've sent a letter twice through their owner feedback link asking them to address this. However, I'm not pressing it until I've finished collecting much more data. I can't expect them to address concerns when I'm using evidence from other P85Ds that could be in question.

Interestingly, of all the issues, suggestions, and other feedback that I've submitted to that link, these two letters are the only things where I've gotten dead silence. Pure speculation, but customer service may simply not be allowed to respond in writing to questions regarding this issue.