Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, this is a problem. My EV pricing plan super off peak window is only 4 hours. 11.5kW won't charge a 90kWh battery from 10% to 90% in 4 hours.
I called my "Inside Sales Advisor" and did get verification that the Model X has a 12 kW, 48 Amp AC charger. No word on if any upgrade would be available in the future.

Is it time to break out the piggy bank and install your own DC charge station? Don't forget the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

25kW portable CHAdeMO fast DC charger-Hydroelectric equipments,Pico hydro system,Diesel generator set,Uninterrupted Power Supply-Electway Electric

And here's a do-it-yourself plan thanks to our Leaf friends who really need to speed up their charging:

Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - NEW: CHAdeMO (TM) - compatible charge controller for EMotorWerks DC Chargers

Last edited:
There's another route to charge in shorter times - and it's a lot cleaner & more compact way to go then having to maintain a diesel generator.;
Charged EVs | Quick Charge Power to offer CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging upgrade for Toyota RAV4 EV
In short, many EV's (from the leaf, to the tesla/RAV4 iteration) have taken advantage of brusa chargers.

2443zap.jpg

Only got 4 hours to charge during night rates? The brusa, in addition to the EV's stock on board charger can get the job done.

Last edited:
Good thing they're not the only installer around then. For example - many of the leafs that added brusa were DIY projects. Granted, you better have the skills - or use one of those folks who knows what they're doing. I did find one website that very thoroughly step by step shows how it's done but one still has to have the skills. Finding a qualified installer turns on how motivated one is

Although this is off-topic, that linked 25kW Chademo charger looks like it needs a 3-phase AC entry. Most (all?) residential hookups are 2-phase, so it wouldn't work... Although it looks like internally, they go from 3-phase to 2-phase, so maybe they could make a 2-phase version?

1- brusa makes both single & 3 phase chargers. That said, & equally off topic,
2- one can 'make' their own 3 phase via a 3 phase rotary converter/motor. It's a relatively easy way to solve a power supply problen if one already has expensive equipment w/out the right phase power.

From what I understand, a Tesla will draw the most power at the beginning of it's plug in, then when near to full charge, reduce it's draw.

Imagine that for most all situations, a 4 hour window will get most of the charge that will be needed for daily driving, and that only a little bit of peak charging will be necessary to top off to the needs for the next day

Perhaps this is more of an imagined problem that a real one.

People are pretty clever, and I would imaging most would be capable of getting the most charge for the buck at off peak rates, and only rarely would need to pay for peak charging.

I called my "Inside Sales Advisor" and did get verification that the Model X has a 12 kW, 48 Amp AC charger. No word on if any upgrade would be available in the future.

Is it time to break out the piggy bank and install your own DC charge station? Don't forget the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

25kW portable CHAdeMO fast DC charger-Hydroelectric equipments,Pico hydro system,Diesel generator set,Uninterrupted Power Supply-Electway Electric

And here's a do-it-yourself plan thanks to our Leaf friends who really need to speed up their charging:

Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - NEW: CHAdeMO (TM) - compatible charge controller for EMotorWerks DC Chargers

Mark...I got this response from the charging installation program manager at Tesla...Looks like the X is capable of being charged at 72 Amps but only a 50amp external charger will be delivered with the car. You will need to purchase the 72Amp external charger should you want to charge more rapidly.....

"Congratulations on finalizing your Model X order!

Model X will include the Mobile Connector charging cable and adapter for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The recommended home charging installation for Model X is a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, see attached PDF for more detail on this outlet.

The on-board charger of Model X will be capable of accepting up to 72 amps. If you are interested in the faster home charging, you can have an electrician install the Wall Connector, configured with a 100 or 80 amp circuit breaker.

Best regards,"

So you're saying that there's inconsistent communication from Tesla? Surely not.

I don't see an inconsistency....They told Mark that the X would be delivered with a 50amp charger (I believe that is correct - the X will come with an external 50Amp connection cable). The X however, will be capable of being charged faster (at 72Amp) is you purchase the higher rated wallcharger which is capable of delivering 72 Amps.

I am installing a 100amp breaker because of my direct communication and response with/from Tesla. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the forums so if anyone want concrete information, I'd suggest contact Tesla directly for the answer.

Mark...I got this response from the charging installation program manager at Tesla...
"Model X will include the Mobile Connector charging cable and adapter for a NEMA 14-50 outlet...
The on-board charger of Model X will be capable of accepting up to 72 amps. If you are interested in the faster home charging, you can have an electrician install the Wall Connector, configured with a 100 or 80 amp circuit breaker.
But @FlasherZ and @MarkZ posted that they were told by reliable Tesla sources that the Model X onboard AC charger was only capable of a maximum of 48A.
This is confusing. As usual...

I don't see an inconsistency....They told Mark that the X would be delivered with a 50amp charger (I believe that is correct - the X will come with an external 50Amp connection cable). The X however, will be capable of being charged faster (at 72Amp) is you purchase the higher rated wallcharger which is capable of delivering 72 Amps.

I am installing a 100amp breaker because of my direct communication and response with/from Tesla. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the forums so if anyone want concrete information, I'd suggest contact Tesla directly for the answer.

You are confusing chargers with Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). The Model X will have an onboard charger. There have been reports of its capabilities being 48 amp, 60 amp, or 72 amp. The UMC that comes with the car is an EVSE. The HPWC is also an EVSE. The UMC for Model S is limited to 40 amps. The HPWC supports up to 80 amps. There has absolutely been conflicting information regarding the capability of the on board charger.

I was told, directly and specifically, that 48A would be the charging current limit for Model X.

The exact quote:

Following up with you regarding the onboard charger of Model X, as I know this will affect your installation plans at home.

Model X will be built with a single 12kW on-board charger capable of drawing a maximum of 48 amps. When connected to a NEMA 14-50, Model X will use its on-board charger to recharge at approximately 25 miles/hour. Higher amperage Wall Connectors will provide a recharge speed of approximately 30 miles per hour. Tesla wants customers to see that life with Model X is as simple as topping off nightly at home and leveraging Supercharging when they hit the road beyond home. This change will have no impact on Supercharging capabilities, as Supercharging bypasses the on-board AC charger to deliver DC-to-DC charging to the battery.

I apologize that the information previously communicated is no longer accurate.

PS - I hope it's wrong and it's actually 72A, I'd love it.

Last edited:
It's also worth repeating here that I'd really like to see DC-to-DC charging abilities out of my future Tesla Powerwall. Adding that capability to the Powerwall would make it even more attractive to a lot of existing Tesla customers, with the side effect of removing the worry about having an onboard charger limitation in the vehicle.

Most people have at least an 6 hour window for off-peak charging...more than sufficient for a recharging a 90kWh battery to 80%(12kW x 6hrs)= 72kWh.

View attachment 99563

you should stop posting this photo around since it was just speculation by someone and it is not accurate since there is no real zero mile protection buffer. it is very misleading and will cause people to think that they can get mileage past zero and will result in some stranded and very pissed off owners.

As much as the forum consensus is that the reason for the Model X delivery delay is due to supplier delays, I'm beginning to think that important design issues are still being decided. The on board charger is one example, I've also asked about the model X cooling capacity as it relates to Model S since you need a beefier cooling system to tow, and the answer I got back (2-3 weeks ago) could have been interpreted to mean they were still figuring it out.

I wish we could ask questions of the Founder series owners, but they don't seem to be talking.