Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW has made a few hundred EVs. They are modified 1 Series cars called the ActiveE.

BMW ActiveE
That's probably what she was driving. I see no reason for someone with a ICE car to unplug EVs as that will give no benefit for them (they can't use it to fill their car anyways and unplugging the car doesn't free up the space).

As for the general idea of unplugging someone, if the person is sure you are done charging and they don't touch your car to do it, I don't see why people are so offended by the idea. Just expect it to happen, public chargers are shared resources.

I suggest the... CHARGING STATION FIGHT club. Everyone arriving at a charging point after you challange you :p Whoever wins gets the plug. First rule of the Fight club is.... record with your cellphone and put it on youtube!

[me/signsupforthaiboxingagain]

The issue of charger squatting is no different than someone leaving their laundry in the dryer long after it was done in a public laundromat. If all the other machines are occupied, at some point you are going to remove that person's laundry and put in your own. Just like unplugging someone at an EV station who didn't move their vehicle long after their charge was completed. So really the Tesla Station is nothing more than an EV version of the neighborhood laundromat. :)

The issue of charger squatting is no different than someone leaving their laundry in the dryer long after it was done in a public laundromat. If all the other machines are occupied, at some point you are going to remove that person's laundry and put in your own. Just like unplugging someone at an EV station who didn't move their vehicle long after their charge was completed. So really the Tesla Station is nothing more than an EV version of the neighborhood laundromat. :)

But at least you know when the laundry is done; here you don't know if it is charging or not since the external light doesn't stay on.

Don't CharePoint chargers themselves have this capability? I have an account (signed up a while ago) but have only used their network once. I thought they could text a bunch of different status messages (complete, unplugged etc.).

I was charging at a ChargePoint charger tonight and was unplugged after only 45 minutes. When I discovered it via my Tesla App (I was checking the remaining time 3 hours after starting the charge) I immediately returned to the car expecting to see another car in the space next to me. there were no other cars parked near the charger and the J1772 was placed neatly back in the holder. My J1772 adapter was still in the car. If it had been another EV that needed a charge it would have still been there charging (even if it was a Leaf). If they completed their charge and left they should have plugged my car back in and restarted the charger for me. Why would someone just unplug my car for no reason.

as I write this I still have another hour left to go ( and the tesla REST site is down)
fortunately I can see that the car is still charging via the ChargePoint site. I double checked my Text/email settings and I should have gotten an alert when the car was unplugged. come to think of it I have never got any messages from ChargePoint when my charging was complete.

An EV should not be parked in an EV charging spot if it is not actively charging. It is as bad as ICEing a spot. Once you are done charging, move your car. Don't schedule a charge in a public EV spot, you are blocking it for someone who may need it more urgently than you. Are you going to keep your car parked at the gas pump until you need to fill it, or leave it there even after you have filled up your tank because parking it at the gas pump is more convenient than finding a parking space?

There are so few EV charging stations (at least on the east coast) we need to keep them open and always actively used.

In saying that, It is never ok to unplug an actively charging car, no matter how close to complete they are because you don't know how far they need to go.

Would it have done any good for them to plug it back in? I'm pretty sure that to start charging again you have to swipe your card. (Not that I think unplugging was acceptable, but once it's been done, just putting the plug back in wouldn't have made it any better.)
My understanding is that it's tricky to set up Charge Point notifications. I have Charge Point (and Blink) cards but I actually haven't used either.

I was charging at a ChargePoint charger tonight and was unplugged after only 45 minutes. When I discovered it via my Tesla App (I was checking the remaining time 3 hours after starting the charge) I immediately returned to the car expecting to see another car in the space next to me. there were no other cars parked near the charger and the J1772 was placed neatly back in the holder. My J1772 adapter was still in the car. If it had been another EV that needed a charge it would have still been there charging (even if it was a Leaf).

WTF. A prankster unplugged you, it sounds like. Sigh. ;-(

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this, I guess it's another thing to worry about when charging in public.

Yeah, but in fairness, I think this is very, very rare.

Indeed... this sound like somebody being mischievous. Unfortunate, but hopefully a rare occurrence.

Sorry that happened, but good you caught it quickly. It does underscore that some proactive notification (text msg, app pop-up, email, etc...) that charging has terminated (either because of completion or unexpectedly) would be useful...

Indeed... this sound like somebody being mischievous. Unfortunate, but hopefully a rare occurrence.

Sorry that happened, but good you caught it quickly. It does underscore that some proactive notification (text msg, app pop-up, email, etc...) that charging has terminated (either because of completion or unexpectedly) would be useful...

Would it have done any good for them to plug it back in? I'm pretty sure that to start charging again you have to swipe your card. (Not that I think unplugging was acceptable, but once it's been done, just putting the plug back in wouldn't have made it any better.)
My understanding is that it's tricky to set up Charge Point notifications. I have Charge Point (and Blink) cards but I actually haven't used either.

My ChargePoint account was set up for text notification but it has never worked. If it had been another EV that unplugged me they should have plugged and swiped to restart me. If someone that did not have a swipe card unplugged me by accident they could have called the number on the charger and requested the charger be restarted.

to further ruin my evening after plugging my car back in... I wanted to keep closer watch on this charge but when I checked with my phone app the Tesla site was down and I couldn't get status. fortunately I could see on the ChargePont site that I was still plugged in and charging.

Last edited:
The sharing of a scarce resource that at times can be hard to both locate and acquire is indeed a challenge!

I'd certainly prefer if Tesla could find some elegant way to sort it out for SuperChargers (biggest one for me being that lack of even a vague charging time remaining estimate; doesn't have to be perfect, but at least get it within a 30 minute window, or better yet show some rough graph plotting charge level / time, then one can see when the car will reach various range benchmarks)

As to sorting out sharing for high speed public chargers, whether through ChargePoint, some other network, or a non-networked charger, that is where things get a lot harder to coordinate.

Expecting to push the burden onto the staff at hotels (whether valet or front desk) is likely unreasonable. Even if there was a whiteboard or in/out board bolted right to the charger to use for scheduling, there would still be issues, as a lot of folks don't want to leave contact info out in the open.

It is far more likely that the high speed charger density will increase to a more usable level before either Tesla or another interested party comes up with a viable solution to manage the process of sharing such a scarce resource.

I'd be happy if any of the smartphone charger locating apps would allow me to filter for chargers that are >30A, as stopping at anything 30A is mostly useless unless staying overnight in that location.

WTF. A prankster unplugged you, it sounds like. Sigh. ;-(

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but in fairness, I think this is very, very rare.

Rare, but it does happen...

Earlier this week, I plugged in my Roadster to charge at an office building where I had a meeting. About an hour later, I got an SMS indicating that charging had stopped. Since there was only one Level 2 there, I figured someone else had decided to charge, so I headed down to the parking garage to tell them that I really needed at least another hour charging.

When I arrived, there wasn't another EV there. Just four guys gathered around my Roadster. One of them was holding the (disconnected) J1772 in his hand. He said he just wanted to see how it worked. I suggested to him that this was analogous to removing the nozzle from someone else's car while it was fueling, and might not be considered acceptable behavior. It hadn't occurred to him.

There are all kinds of people out there - you just can't predict what behaviour you will find.

When I arrived, there wasn't another EV there. Just four guys gathered around my Roadster. One of them was holding the (disconnected) J1772 in his hand. He said he just wanted to see how it worked. I suggested to him that this was analogous to removing the nozzle from someone else's car while it was fueling, and might not be considered acceptable behavior. It hadn't occurred to him.

Okay, they sound like morons. I mean, come on! Double, triple sigh. Curiosity/"can't keep my hands off things" is no excuse for anyone over the age of like 10, IMHO.