Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock On Approach Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I observed a Tesla M3 driver walk up to his car and the headlights flashed when he got near it. My M3 doesn't give me any outside indication that it is detecting the presence of my key fob. It unlocks normally. Do only some of the cars flash the lights or is there a setting I'm unaware of?

I observed a Tesla M3 driver walk up to his car and the headlights flashed when he got near it. My M3 doesn't give me any outside indication that it is detecting the presence of my key fob. It unlocks normally. Do only some of the cars flash the lights or is there a setting I'm unaware of?

The first thing that comes to mind is that sentry was on and the car failed to detect the owner's phone key, and the headlights flashed due to a sentry mode activation. Are you using a key fob or do you mean the phone as a key? I don't have a key fob, but neither my M3 nor MY give any indication when the phone key is in range, but I often have sentry activate on my when approaching my own car.

Good points; I forgot about Sentry. However, it would be nice if the car did something to notify the driver that it has detected a key and is unlocking the door; maybe a faint horn beep and headlight flash. While they are at it, have the car give 2 beeps when doing the walk away. I sometimes miss that one faint beep in noisy areas and wonder if the car locked.

The car doesn’t “unlock” on approach in the normal sense or like when you tap the card on the B pillar. When you pull the handle it checks for presence of a phone key or fob and allows the electronic latch to unlatch if a correct key is detected.

The car doesn’t “unlock” on approach in the normal sense or like when you tap the card on the B pillar. When you pull the handle it checks for presence of a phone key or fob and allows the electronic latch to unlatch if a correct key is detected.

Well, the car certainly knows I'm not present when I walk away with the key fob and it locks the doors. Why would the car not know I'm present when approaching it with the key fob?

Well, the car certainly knows I'm not present when I walk away with the key fob and it locks the doors. Why would the car not know I'm present when approaching it with the key fob?
It can detect if the fob/phone is nearby and will pre-authorize door opening but it doesn’t actually unlock until you open the door.

Again all the latches are electronic. There is no physical “locked” or “unlocked” state for the door handles. The computer determines if access is authorized or not authorized. If authorized then the door handle will request the computer to send the unlatch signal to the latch. If not authorized then the computer will ignore the door handle request.

If the car is asleep it probably doesn’t poll for nearby keys as frequently otherwise it would run down the battery faster. So you end up where it might take a couple tries before the door opens.

Why do you want to be notified when the car detects your phone key? If the key isn’t detected, you’ll know as soon as you try to open the door.

A headlight flash so that you know which identical-looking black Tesla is yours at the supercharger or big-box store parking lot, so that you don't give a heart attack to the unsuspecting driver waiting in their car when you accidentally pull their door handle instead of your own....

• Funny
Reactions: dusty22 and cmy4x4
A headlight flash so that you know which identical-looking black Tesla is yours at the supercharger or big-box store parking lot, so that you don't give a heart attack to the unsuspecting driver waiting in their car when you accidentally pull their door handle instead of your own....

That's funny, I did that once while charging. A man was standing next to the car with the driver's window open. I knew my car was locked with the window closed and I was about to say something when he smugly looked at me, pointed and said that's your car over there. Yes, a headlight flash would have saved me from that embarrassment.😡

I guess that helps if the other Tesla is parked next to yours, but you can also flash the lights (or honk the horn) using the mobile app.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Could be the other owner has the Ingenext module. That enables the car to detect the linked phone, flash the lights, and auto open (just enough to open the door) on approach, which can be adjusted for distance. It’s pretty neat.

Reactions: dusty22
Mine usually flashes as I approach but I don’t always see it. I thought it was because I was already at doorside sometimes when it does.

Yes the lights flashing is just a sentry mode alert.

It would be cool if Tesla added lights on approach. Have the parking lights and interior lights fade on when you get near and it detects the key. They can even have cars with matrix headlights display the word “TESLA” like it does in light show. But I guess fart sounds are deemed more important to code in than premium lighting touches like that. 🥴

Reactions: dusty22