Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbiased 2-month review of 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Cargo capacity is significant considering the overall size of the vehicle.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Winter handling is pretty good overall.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).
- There are many other minor pros but they aren't necessarily game-changers.

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.
- Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

received_641836400730277.jpeg

Yup. Whenever I employ any TM3 cruise control feature, I’m consciously driving for two…me and the person behind me…because one never knows.

Worst stretch of highway in my experience: the still under construction (expanded to 12 lanes) portion of HWY 401 west of Mississauga ON towards Milton ON; some sort of reliance on mapping data makes the TACC set speed just drop by 20 kph or more because the car suddenly thinks it’s off the main freeway.

I think about this all the time. Luckily all my phantom brakes wasn't in traffic, but I'd feel terrible if I brake checked someone behind me unintentionally. :(

I think about this all the time. Luckily all my phantom brakes wasn't in traffic, but I'd feel terrible if I brake checked someone behind me unintentionally. :(
Thanks djjim and navguy for confirming my PB experience, I was beginning to think I just drive on crummy roads except for I70 which this past Summer was a great run with charging all along the way. That is, great except for the one or two PBs. See you all on the road.

Great review! I've had my M3 since August and I agree with pretty much everything. I much prefer the look of the 3 but that's just taste. I'm quite happy to use voice control for everything it can be used for.

I was at our service centre last week with all my complaints about TAAC with detailed diagrams of all the situations which upset it; when I could identify a cause anyway. I said exactly the same thing: "I just want a functional cruise control that focuses on the lane ahead and nothing else".

Trouble is, TAAC is a part of FSD. Based on my experience with TAAC and the active safety features I've come to the conclusion that FSD is impossible. If too many cars had it there would be grid-lock and it would take forever to get anywhere.

Intelligence needs to be in the roads, seamlessly organising vehicles on and off freeways at speed, not at a shuddering crawl.

The Tesla guy I took out for a ride basically said "your concerns will be noted, but....."

TAAC aside, I do love the car though.
🤪 Agree with you on TACC being part of FSD. Imagine all cars with FSD at a 4-way stop intersection and none can decide which goes first! So they all just sit there or start creeping. Sheesh!

My local news in the CA Bay Area released a report the other day that an 8 car pileup in the tunnel on the Bay Bridge was caused by someone's FSD suddenly braking. It was on Thanksgiving and I was briefly stuck in the traffic that backed up for miles. I had no idea at the time that this was the cause.

Anyway, I've always wondered how FSD was allowed on public roadways, especially the sudden braking and the lane changing. It's BETA for Tesla owners, but that BETA affects everyone else on the road.

The only time I tried TACC, the car immediately lurched into the next lane and I turned it off. I have since reset my camera calibration and will drive more on freeways before I try it again. I've made mental notes of the conditions that make it lose its little robot mind.

If Elon is so concerned about customers that he'll suddenly tweet "yes" to some request, why hasn't he added straight, dumb cruise control? I'd like that before caring about apple music or karaoke or any of those things in the holiday update. 🙄

You are mixing AP/EAP with FSD

Ap/EAP is the best highway smart cruise control on the highway compared to all other manufacturers. What other car you liked cruise control in?

FSD on the other hand is still far from real FSD.

You are mixing AP/EAP with FSD

Ap/EAP is the best highway smart cruise control on the highway compared to all other manufacturers. What other car you liked cruise control in?

FSD on the other hand is still far from real FSD.
Hyundai drive assist works well although it requires input on turns. It won’t stay within the lines but I think it was designed that way.

I tried out full self driving today and uhm NO. Far from being ready. I had to intervene or I would have gotten t-boned making a turn from a stop. The car in my opinion doesn’t have enough “peripheral” vision like humans. Just my experience from using it around my neighborhood. Haven’t built up the courage to get on main roads yet.

Reactions: navguy12
Hyundai drive assist works well although it requires input on turns. It won’t stay within the lines but I think it was designed that way.

I tried out full self driving today and uhm NO. Far from being ready. I had to intervene or I would have gotten t-boned making a turn from a stop. The car in my opinion doesn’t have enough “peripheral” vision like humans. Just my experience from using it around my neighborhood. Haven’t built up the courage to get on main roads yet.
And you still liked it over highway AP?!?!

Sounds like a lot of Tesla owners are a bit triggered by Elon these days. LOL
Elon has Asperger's Syndrome. He's always been consistently awkward and saying things that most people consider not socially acceptable or pc in today's world but he has trouble controlling it. He's under a ton of pressure. You just have to look past that surface layer, he is pretty brilliant.

Elon has Asperger's Syndrome. He's always been consistently awkward and saying things that most people consider not socially acceptable or pc in today's world but he has trouble controlling it. He's under a ton of pressure. You just have to look past that layer, he is pretty brilliant.
He is brilliant. I'm just noting the fact that people now seem to dislike him since he's moved more towards the middle-right side of political spectrum.

He is brilliant. I'm just noting the fact that people now seem to dislike him since he's moved more towards the middle-right side of political spectrum.
Ah yes, well that is different and I am not really a fan of that either. The way he runs his companies and employees like a sweatshop is a mess too. He certainly doesn't put the health and safety of his employees above his own agenda. I was hoping he'd buy twitter and dissolve it. I think twitter and facebook are going the ways of myspace soon anyway.

Great review, I agree with most of these (some I’ve solved myself)

Re Range - I did my first long trip in May this year, drove my 22 model3 LR down to Chicago from MSP to pick up our new bmw X7, the fast deterioration of range in the 3, above 70mph surprised me, trying different speeds to ensure maximum range was a fun trial (it was April so not warm but not below freezing). I stopped at the superchargers and watched Netflix or ate lunch and found it never really kept me waiting too long … until the drive back later that day, realizing that you need a little mindset shift. I had to stop 4 times to charge on the way back in the Tesla, it was late at night in the most random back parking lots of Walmart / ‘random store name here’ sometimes with 4% battery left which was a little stressful but it predicted that. Meanwhile the X7 cruised up all 550+ miles and still had a quarter tank of gas left, so they were left waiting with me at areas. Not comparable but at times it felt unsafe and just inconvenient on the drive back (late, irritated and wanting to get home) all things you have to keep in mind when driving long distance with an EV. I have since adjusted expectations when traveling long distance, which has been fine.

Reactions: aipaa and navguy12
Suicide doors? Agreed, ‘98 Pathfinder keeps it simple. Set speed and that’s it. Still I like the EVs overall.
No, the suicide doors are on 1960s Lincolns.

OT: a friend of mine has a ‘66 convertible that we do cross country drives with; it drives like a farm implement compared to modern vehicles…and the steering is like a wet noodle. We are constantly amazed we don’t die in a crash on some windy two lane highway that traverses the continental divide.

No, the suicide doors are on 1960s Lincolns.

OT: a friend of mine has a ‘66 convertible that we do cross country drives with; it drives like a farm implement compared to modern vehicles…and the steering is like a wet noodle. We are constantly amazed we don’t die in a crash on some windy two lane highway that traverses the continental divide.
Was it power steering? Some early version maybe. could the pump, tubing and actuator be changed out for something more current? obviously not familiar with that system. I did rebuild a Peugeot 304 but neglected (ok, forgot) to re-torque the overhead valve shaft bearings after a couple hundred miles so it ate a valve and I gave it away. Learn by doing is my motto - still learning.

Reactions: navguy12
Was it power steering? Some early version maybe. could the pump, tubing and actuator be changed out for something more current? obviously not familiar with that system. I did rebuild a Peugeot 304 but neglected (ok, forgot) to re-torque the overhead valve shaft bearings after a couple hundred miles so it ate a valve and I gave it away. Learn by doing is my motto - still learning.
It has power steering; just nature of the beast.
I have another buddy with a ‘62 sedan; he insists on keeping it absolutely show correct, so driving that thing on bias ply tires is an absolute nightmare.

Reactions: tevman
My buddies 2017 Bolt EV.

My wifes 2021 Kona EV.

Heck, the cruise control that was in my 1977 Lincoln Continental was better to use because it was 100% predictable.
Back in 1995, I bought a brand new Acura Integra. It of course had “dummy” cruise control. One day on the highway the cruise control mechanism revved my engine all the way up to redline and kicked it out of 5th gear (MT)- I don’t remember exactly but it kept it revving at about 7800 rpm for a whole minute or so while I was frantically trying to get the throttle to respond. Then BOOM, my engine blew.. it sent a valve through the head and put a massive dent in my hood.

It was a bizarre incident. Honda/Acura immediately took responsibility and replaced my engine and hood.

This was a throttle-by-wire old school system but I remember how after that I never used cruise control again - for over 20 years, no matter what kind of car I had.. later on as I got older, I never even used it in my. BMWs or Audis..

So, that being said. Even with my Tesla’s sometimes quirky AP system, I feel that cruise control has come a long way. It’s restored my faith in cruise control, whether TACC or AP.

Reactions: Bob2C and navguy12