Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbiased 2-month review of 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Cargo capacity is significant considering the overall size of the vehicle.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Winter handling is pretty good overall.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).
- There are many other minor pros but they aren't necessarily game-changers.

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.
- Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

received_641836400730277.jpeg

The other frequent case of phantom braking is very uncrowded non-divided rural highways with no other cars. It gets confused by undulations in altitude and mirages in road ahead. US interstate highways have stricter requirements on grade control and the divisor make the car less likely to believe there is anything coming head on (presumably the reason for strong phantom braking)
My 75 mile commute everyday is consist of rural/un-divided highway with a lot of undulations and curves with trees on both sides causing a lot of blind spots and shades.
No phantom braking or anything similar. (22 MYP)

My 75 mile commute everyday is consist of rural/un-divided highway with a lot of undulations and curves with trees on both sides causing a lot of blind spots and shades.
No phantom braking or anything similar. (22 MYP)
That's great!

From what I"ve seen on videos it's elevation undulations going straight which can be a problem, when there is break in the apparent vanishing point, or extrapolation of lane boundaries towards the horizon. When it sees a hill and then the road appearing back behind that without continuity is when it gets confused, i.e. seeing the road at two different distances with a gap in the middle, perhaps thinking the far extension of road is actually a vehicle on top of the road on the hill. Similarly mirages when going straight might trigger a "there is something on the road I didn't see before and can't get a velocity fix" and it panics. if it sees more cars ahead driving normally it is OK too---I drive mostly SoCal freeways so there are always enough cars so I never get this problem.

It knows a hill on its own is OK.

Reactions: AJ..
That's great!

From what I"ve seen on videos it's elevation undulations going straight which can be a problem, when there is break in the apparent vanishing point, or extrapolation of lane boundaries towards the horizon. When it sees a hill and then the road appearing back behind that without continuity is when it gets confused, i.e. seeing the road at two different distances with a gap in the middle, perhaps thinking the far extension of road is actually a vehicle on top of the road on the hill. Similarly mirages when going straight might trigger a "there is something on the road I didn't see before and can't get a velocity fix" and it panics. if it sees more cars ahead driving normally it is OK too---I drive mostly SoCal freeways so there are always enough cars so I never get this problem.

It knows a hill on its own is OK.
isn't that what exactly humans do when they see something not clear? People slow down.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Cargo capacity is significant considering the overall size of the vehicle.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Winter handling is pretty good overall.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).
- There are many other minor pros but they aren't necessarily game-changers.

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

View attachment 886717
Very well observed and put together review. I have similar experiences with model 3 (add to it the “battery max capacity loss” so reduce another 30-45mile range after 3-4 years and that’s “normal”… I have 99.5% times only used level 2 chargers up to 80-85% range -!: that sucks!)
I haven’t had as many phantom braking (3 or 4 times in 4 years buttt when it happens you’ll remember it for a long long time!) and I love automatic/smart cruise control.
I’m leaving out road noise issue (given it’s older model). The range loss in East Coast winter is hard to get your head around in daily practical use (direction of wind, colder temps, vs Sunny conditions). I am often left thinking about the glass roof (if covering/layering it) would help with range improvements in general (it’s too cold/hot in adverse weather conditions even when touching from inside so there has to be energy loss to maintain the inside temp).

D...

sounds at least partially biased to me... i wouldn't normally critique a car based on the CEO or whatever but i understand supporting or not supporting a company based on political reasons e.g. Chick-Fil-A ... EM is a bit of an attention whore but i dont disagree with most of his viewpoints

Reactions: navguy12
sounds at least partially biased to me... i wouldn't normally critique a car based on the CEO or whatever but i understand supporting or not supporting a company based on political reasons e.g. Chick-Fil-A ... EM is a bit of an attention whore but i dont disagree with most of his viewpoints

I appreciate @aipaa comments about EM (I would love to like EM but.. it’s hard with bombastic talk about back in office crap that seems to show his billionaire mindset, or losing focus on Tesla cars with Twitter nonsense!). I cannot seem to detach these amazing cars from his news all over and treatment of employees. Most comments are spot on. Phantom braking, battery degradation, range loss, USS/radar removal - all seem bigger issues with this otherwise fantastic car.

@aipaa - the AC, temp and fan speed adjustments are much easier with voice commands. I hear you about these - very well observed.

Couple interesting things - phone app may be able to do some of these functions (better than fiddling with screen while driving), or outright use voice commands (with noisy car with kids or other human sound - these may be difficult to use)

I have heard S or X may be able to provide scroll wheel options to set up favorite functions instead of fiddling with screen.
I would recommend Tesla add couple more steering scroll wheels to provide common functions access (ok to not have buttons, but screen adjustment is risky and nasty while driving)

@aipaa - the AC, temp and fan speed adjustments are much easier with voice commands. I hear you about these - very well observed.

Couple interesting things - phone app may be able to do some of these functions (better than fiddling with screen while driving), or outright use voice commands (with noisy car with kids or other human sound - these may be difficult to use)

I have heard S or X may be able to provide scroll wheel options to set up favorite functions instead of fiddling with screen.
I would recommend Tesla add couple more steering scroll wheels to provide common functions access (ok to not have buttons, but screen adjustment is risky and nasty while driving)

They did add scroll wheel options, right?

isn't that what exactly humans do when they see something not clear? People slow down.
It is, but humans have better awareness of the context and memory. They know that there isn't a stationary obstacle in the dip that just vanished because they didn't see it before when that dip was more visible. They know what a mirage looks like and what conditions make them. The FSDb system does understand that when cars ahead drive through the area, that it should be safe to drive too---it's good at following, and at the moment, most of the leading cars are still human driven. When they aren't it will be worse, as everyone will be limited by the worst performer's phantom braking.

Also, human foveas have significantly better resolution than the current HW3 cameras which are pretty poor at 1280x960. These effects are not very obvious at far distances to the ML algorithms, it's just fuzzy pixels.

The HW4 cameras, once compute is upgraded to handle their resolution, should be better. I feel ripped off though that FSDb existing buyers don't get an upgrade despite being promised upgrades. Tesla promised upgrades previously to HW3 when their financial condition was much worse. Now they have tons of money.

Reactions: gt2690b
All of this mirrors my exact experience as a new MY owner in Canada.

There are two sections on the hwy400 that ALWAYS triggers phantom braking as the car gets near.

I wish there was a way to flag these events for assessment (like in FSD Beta). I’m confident it will get better, but only if the software can be improved and reoccurring events can be geolocated.

Secondly I wish there was a way to trigger AutoSteer WITHOUT TACC. I would like to control just the accelator while LKAS is engaged. Also the lane departure system is horrible. Why the F does it disable when I move to avoid objects / other vehicles weaving lanes? Terrible design.

Otherwise I love the car to death. There have been zero defects I could find. Gaps are perfect. Trim pieces perfect. No abnormal noises when driving, just tires and EV whirl.

• Love
Reactions: navguy12