Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive due to battery heater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently posted about my car 2014 model s not going into gears, since than I had a lot of people try to help but got no where.

Just now I decided to mess around with the service mode menu and seen there was a test I could do and got the results in the picture, now my question is would this be the actual problem as to why my car will not start and drive due to failed battery heater??
IMG_2547.jpeg
IMG_2549.jpeg

with any bms error u can't close contactors so it can't test anything HV related, ie AC/PTC/Bat heater...
isolation can happen in any of those, plus LDU...
there's also 2 types of isolation modes for battery heater, when it shorts HV to coolant only when its on or when IGBT shorts to ground
i believe the former will let u drive when heater is off, but latter won't, since HV constantly connected to ground..

theoretically u can disconnect HV plug n replace it with dummy connector that only has HVIL pins, to close the loop, n get it going
i've never heard of anyone that done this but it is in service manual somewhere...

Reactions: ucmndd
with any bms error u can't close contactors so it can't test anything HV related, ie AC/PTC/Bat heater...
isolation can happen in any of those, plus LDU...
there's also 2 types of isolation modes for battery heater, when it shorts HV to coolant only when its on or when IGBT shorts to ground
i believe the former will let u drive when heater is off, but latter won't, since HV constantly connected to ground..

theoretically u can disconnect HV plug n replace it with dummy connector that only has HVIL pins, to close the loop, n get it going
i've never heard of anyone that done this but it is in service manual somewhere...
Would replacing the heater or the pump fixes the issue?

There is quite lengthy discussion, with my addition here. It was also battery heater and I was stranded, needed to flatbed to service. Cost was around €900 with labor, of course with the €250 extra for the transportation service cost.
I appreciate that. I’ll probably go ahead and change that and see if that works. The car was driving just fine and just randomly stopped working I got the car from tx and I live in Wisconsin so maybe with this cold weather the car is acting up

Reactions: KalJoMoS
While it won't help older cars, Tesla has ditched the PTC battery heater on all new cars. The heat is now generated by the heat pump and/or running the motors in a way that generates more heat than normal (which can be done even if the motor is not turning). It appears to be a more reliable system.

Reactions: brainhouston