Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

umc extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem: I'm travelling with my Gen 2 UMC and it's not quite long enough to reach from the accommodation power point to the car.

Solution 1: buy a suitable (and expensive) 240v extension cord.

Proposed solution 2: buy a Type 2 to Type cable that one would use with public chargers. Then, use that to extend the reach of the UMC.

Does solution 2 work?

Solution 1: buy a suitable (and expensive) 240v extension cord.
Proposed solution 2: buy a Type 2 to Type cable that one would use with public chargers. Then, use that to extend the reach of the UMC.

The other thing is a suitable extra heavy duty extension cord for the UMC (like this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-10m...-heavy-duty-tradesman-extension-lead_p4420227) costs less than $50 - so not expensive.

A Type 2 - Type 2 lead, which would not even work in this situation, costs $250 - $350.

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
Maybe while you are grabbing an extension lead consider getting one of these (or similar) too.
It will keep the water out of the socket and also you can lock it so its less likely to be unplugged or stolen.

Note that my UMC has a right angled 240v plug on the end, so doesn't really fit in most of these weatherproof connector covers when connected to an extension cord, so choose one that will fit.

Definitely get a heavy duty extension cord.

david

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
Note that my UMC has a right angled 240v plug on the end, so doesn't really fit in most of these weatherproof connector covers when connected to an extension cord, so choose one that will fit.

Definitely get a heavy duty extension cord.

david
Very good point!

There are some available that accomodate right angle plugs but i wouldnt vouch for how waterproof they would be.. might be better off Mcgyvering one out of a sistema lunchbox :)

Not so waterproof:

Very good point!

There are some available that accomodate right angle plugs but i wouldnt vouch for how waterproof they would be.. might be better off Mcgyvering one out of a sistema lunchbox :)

Not so waterproof:
Replying to myself - Or, good quality gaffa tape or self amalgamating tape :)

I've got this already, surely its ok? Rated at 10A.

Unfortunately no. At 10A continuous and 1mm conductors, maximum length for 3% voltage drop is 18m not 25m. You’re getting 4.7% voltage drop with this which is too much. The cable and plugs will get hot with continuous use and potentially melt, and I would not recommend. Even 1.5mm conductors are not thick enough for 25m, would need to go to 2.5mm.

Check with this:

Does solution 2 work?

Not unless you do this: