Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I should report that I noticed that one of the seams on my ultra white seats the stitching seemed to hit right at the perforations, and possibly due to the stress of a car seat, it seems to be separating a bit. I thought I'd ask about it while I was in getting my winter tires, I showed my service advisor. He was unsure about it because tearing is usually not covered by warranty. 5 minutes later he came back and said that yes, it will be covered by warranty, and he's already ordered a whole new seat that will take a few weeks to get in. I also found it interesting he said that he's frustrated that they can't fix upholstery - they have to replace the entire seat, which happens to be one of the most expensive parts of the whole car, because it's an entire assembly including seat heater, monopost, and all the mechanism underneath. It also makes me scared that if the seat back gets scuffed up, you can't just replace the plastic piece. Our seat backs are currently wrapped, but I guess it won't be after it's replaced!

So I should report that I noticed that one of the seams on my ultra white seats the stitching seemed to hit right at the perforations, and possibly due to the stress of a car seat, it seems to be separating a bit. I thought I'd ask about it while I was in getting my winter tires, I showed my service advisor. He was unsure about it because tearing is usually not covered by warranty. 5 minutes later he came back and said that yes, it will be covered by warranty, and he's already ordered a whole new seat that will take a few weeks to get in. I also found it interesting he said that he's frustrated that they can't fix upholstery - they have to replace the entire seat, which happens to be one of the most expensive parts of the whole car, because it's an entire assembly including seat heater, monopost, and all the mechanism underneath. It also makes me scared that if the seat back gets scuffed up, you can't just replace the plastic piece. Our seat backs are currently wrapped, but I guess it won't be after it's replaced!

Interesting. Do you have any pics of the damage you noticed?

They are also replacing one of my entire seats because of the staining (upthread) on the seat belt clip. That seems like serious overkill, but I guess they don't have the ability to just replace the clip.

So Tesla is replacing any seats that show the stains on the seat belt clip? That's impressive. (And both sad the entire seat has to be replaced. Doesn't bode well for post-warranty life)

So Tesla is replacing any seats that show the stains on the seat belt clip? That's impressive. (And both sad the entire seat has to be replaced. Doesn't bode well for post-warranty life)
I was told it was a known problem with the grease injected into the seat belt mechanism. It has been fixed (supposedly) and so they're replacing the seat. FWIW, this seat was already replaced in whole once for a small scuff in the fabric that I noted upon delivery. So this will be my third second-row driver's side seat. Third's the charm, right?

Reactions: *KT* and Ormond
I was told it was a known problem with the grease injected into the seat belt mechanism. It has been fixed (supposedly) and so they're replacing the seat. FWIW, this seat was already replaced in whole once for a small scuff in the fabric that I noted upon delivery. So this will be my third second-row driver's side seat. Third's the charm, right?

Ah so grease is the culprit. Good to hear they are at least attempting to address it.

It's too bad you cannot keep the old ones and convert them into seating for your home or office.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 2,379
Tesla replaced a complete seat in the 2nd row due to a flaky seatbelt sensor. For the life of me, I don't understand why they just didn't use the old glossy seat-back cover from my original seat, since I had an XPel wrap on it. Now I have to get it re-wrapped.

Be forewarned. If you get a seat replaced and you have it wrapped, make sure you ask to have the old back-cover put on instead of the new one.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Did you try one of those white Mr. Clean sponges to get the grime off?