Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger locations currently unbalanced.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Leeds supercharger is now officially online. Congratulations, you now have 50% more in the north.
Lol at first glace I have to agree.

It's certainly a nice location for users moving around the area and obviously very very welcomed.

However....[here it comes]..if you read the first line of the original post you will see this SC is still geographical in the South of the UK.

Nit picking aside its really good to have it opened. Thanks again Tesla.

But I'm personally heading to Wincester in two weeks so I've got plenty of SC options on my route South.

RLuner I agree. There is a gaping hole between Leeds and Edinburgh and Scotland is a supercharger desert. Its an unfortunate fact that not many live in Scotland and the public charging network north of the border is thin on the ground. Scotland may not buy many cars but it needs more than one supercharger. I hope the projected map of sc growth is going to happen.

I wouldn't exactly say it's thin on the ground. This is just CHAdeMOs on the CYC network, for example.

Screenshot_2015-02-05-08-52-25-1.png

Yes around Glasgow/Ediinburgh and up the East Coast there are some granted.

However, where we go on holiday several times a year on the West Coast it is thin on the ground. Our cottage is near Arisaig and the nearest charging point is 50 miles away in Fort William. The cottage itself has no electricity supply which rules destination charging out (yes it is fairly basic but fun). We like to drive up the West Coast from there to places like Skye and as your map shows there is nothing. The only recourse we have is to drive back to Fort William which is 100 mile round trip.

You're right in that the West Coast is more spartan. The map I published is only CHAdeMO points but even all points types are fewer in the west.

Suggest you find a willing partner such as a hotel, pub or campsite and get them to install free Zero Carbon World points. Maybe Mallaig ferry terminal could install a rapid? Failing that, maybe the nearby campsite has a commando socket you can use?

Back on topic, I see Tesla say the travel to the far north of Scotland will be possible this year so maybe a supercharger in the Inverness area is coming.

Given that the population centre of the UK is Leicestershire, I think this thread just took a turn to the farcical.
With respect, cars travel on roads not population centres. This thread; as can be seen from the very first post is about location based travel around the country, which as everyone realises requires SC to be spaced over the country fairly equally.

@smac I'm really happy for any SC to be placed in the UK, however as someone who travels North and South I thought it interesting to compare how easy one can move between SC in various parts of the country.

Rluner, sorry I was being a little flippant :redface:

I agree it is valuable to understand the true nature of owning the car depending on where you live and travel, and Superchargers play a big part in that (less so for me in fairness, as I didn't opt for it, at least in part because I concerned it would be a while before they were sited suitably for my needs). Tankersley goes a long way for me, but I tend to use the A1 north and South more than the M1, so Peterborough and Newcastle would round it off for me personally.

With respect, cars travel on roads not population centres. This thread; as can be seen from the very first post is about location based travel around the country, which as everyone realises requires SC to be spaced over the country fairly equally.

No, "a car" travels on "a road", but cars in aggregate tend to travel on roads that connect major population centres. Roads that connect places with small populations have small numbers of cars on them.

Everyone agrees that it is important that the SC network ultimately provide a method to travel between any two points in Britain, but at the same time you must surely recognise that if every day say 10,000 people drive from London to Manchester and 10 people drive from Dumfries to Fort William then installing superchargers that enable the London-Manchester route is much more valuable in the short term than installing some to enable the Dumfries-Fort William one?

This thread was going just fine I think, until you claimed that Barnsley is in the South. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single person there (or indeed in the whole of Yorkshire) who thinks they live in the South :)

MGBoyes I think both are needed. In parts of the South we need better placed/more capacity SC locations. The North has a significant hole between Leeds & Edinburgh which needs filling and Scotland is an SC desert. Tesla are not going to sell many cars in the North with the map as it is.

The hole runs from Stansted to Cambridge to Peterborough to Leeds to Edinburgh... Bit sucky.

It's the return trips that kill it, rather than the strung together Supercharger hops in my view. Go 110 miles between any two destinations and if there isn't a Supercharger en route (-ish) you are relying on Ecotricity or destination charging :(

For example from personal experience, Nottingham to Stansted to catch a flight then return home a few days later doesn't work.

This thread was going just fine I think, until you claimed that Barnsley is in the South. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single person there (or indeed in the whole of Yorkshire) who thinks they live in the South :)

I don't claim, I'm simple quoting what was stated in the original post and referenced from Wikipedia about the center of the British Isles.

Center of British Isles Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_points_of_the_United_Kingdom

I must admit in all honesty it doesn't feel right, however I have to admit Wikipedia is usually correct and I'm just using it to illustrate a point here nothing more.

ofc I also understand that it's population driven placement of SC, however, the gaps need to be filled in before we keep adding more SC where there already are no gaps.

Cars typically run between population centres and Tesla have to concentrate resources where it makes most sense. They have opened up access to the north of England with these superchargers and with care or a brief stop, Scotland's Edinburgh supercharger can be reached. For the less well traveled routes there are CHAdeMO and 22kW sites for the time being.

By your argument of having immediate, uniform coverage Tesla should roll out superchargers in places like the Gobi desert.

I agree the Gobi desert isn't sensible, though would be great for PV!

There's definitely a conflict, and Tesla is a business. There are simply more potential customers south of Watford Gap, (or in certain footballer havens in the North West ;) )

As far as I can see they've gone for the areas where the prominence of the Superchargers is important first, and truly country wide travel second. I don't have a problem with this, TBH when I bought the car it's what I expected.

Why put Superchargers between Nottingham and Peterborough when there are only 4 owners, and probably only 250 potential Model S buyers more in the entire region.

Putting them round London, South East, and Bristol is great advertising and pushes the brand. Without the car sales, there'd have been little point in massive rollouts, Tesla would take an absolute bath financially in the UK.

The rollout is happening, though it does seemed to have slowed a little from the flurry over Christmas, hopefully it picks up pace again soon (though the only reason I'm bothered is when I come to sell the car!)