Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats really interesting, what are the ethics of disabling a sensor without telling the driver?
Quite. You can also extend that to the ethics of modifying vehicle behaviour too.

As Tesla don't support any meaningful release opt out / LTS or provide at least some info in the release notes you don't really get any say in the matter. Everyone is a guinea pig. I personally do get some enjoyment in test driving each new release on a familiar set of routes just to see what seems to have changed, but that won't suit everyone.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Quite. You can also extend that to the ethics of modifying vehicle behaviour too.

As Tesla don't support any meaningful release opt out / LTS or provide at least some info in the release notes you don't really get any say in the matter. Everyone is a guinea pig. I personally do get some enjoyment in test driving each new release on a familiar set of routes just to see what seems to have changed, but that won't suit everyone.
How much difference does standard vs advanced actually make? Do we have any real comparison points? 'Standard' with advanced visualisation turned off could be kind of LTS?

How much difference does standard vs advanced actually make? Do we have any real comparison points? 'Standard' with advanced visualisation turned off could be kind of LTS?
Not sure if this is what you mean but my current setting is for standard upgrade and just this morning it upgraded to 2021.4.18 this is from stock firmware/os of 2020.47.104

In my experience, standard seems to make a small difference in not getting some bleeding edge releases, but not all. Certainly no evidence that advanced gives you any priority - you get a release when Tesla decide.

The current release line (4.15.x) is a good example. Normally I am on standard but recently I briefly changed to advanced, hoping not to put a blocker the nav update. We picked up 4.15.6, the start of the 4.15.x line. A few days later, when we got the nav update, I changed back to standard, Since then, whilst on standard, I've taken 2 further day 1 releases, ie releases on the day it was first available. ie standard did not defer the release. As this release line seems to be turning into a bit of a rollercoaster, I might just temporarily revert back to advanced though.

There is however some speculation that the 4.15.x line has had an issue, so a quick fix pushed out. So I looked at my release history on TeslaFi. Since early last year when I have been on standard, the majority of the releases have been offered to me (not necessarily installed) between 1 and 4 days since the release was first available. So standard did not significantly delay things in these cases.

The issue with ignoring releases, which I have done on many occasions, for up to 75 days (thanks to lockdown) is that once downloaded (not connecting to wifi helps with non critical releases), the car will nag you on every drive to install. Its only a matter of time before you, or someone else triggers the install. And thats before ignoring the Tesla warnings about not installing an update may invalidate warranty.

Model 3 Owners Manual 2020.44 said:
NOTE: The software update window persists until you install the update. You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible, and can limit Tesla's ability to diagnose and service your vehicle.

Last edited:
We picked up 4.15.6, the start of the 4.15.x line. A few days later, when we got the nav update,
It’s interesting how random the release of the Nav update is. Yours is a 2019 model with FSD, mine is 2020 with FSD. I’ve kept mine on advanced and have worked through the 4.15.x route up to 4.15.10. No sign of a map update. There are only some cars on both this route and 4.18 receiving them. I can’t think of any logical reason for not rolling out generally other than server loading.

It’s interesting how random the release of the Nav update is. Yours is a 2019 model with FSD, mine is 2020 with FSD. I’ve kept mine on advanced and have worked through the 4.15.x route up to 4.15.10. No sign of a map update. There are only some cars on both this route and 4.18 receiving them. I can’t think of any logical reason for not rolling out generally other than server loading.
But will you beat me to 4.18?

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
It's been clear from the releases that Tesla are doing two paths (at least) to compare different change sets, this has been going on for a while now. Sometimes this can help narrow down defects, sometimes it can enable them to see which code performs better.

I really don't think it's anything but random as to which you end up with, because they wouldn't want to introduce a bias within the results. I even think the map update is the same approach, leave some of the fleet on the older one for a bit to compare the two.

That makes us equally all guinea pigs, regardless of release. For example... is it Ethical to hold back a potential safety improvement, is it ethical to be the first to use a potential safety improvement. There is an ethical debate both ways.

But stepping aside from ethics, It's a very logical approach and acknowledges they can never fully test everything themselves.

Maybe they need to be more clear about what standard and advanced release cycle means and stick to that.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
On a side note of all this the UI I had on delivery is seems so much better than on this version. Quick question to those that have had their cars for long while now is how many UI changes have occurred.
I've had mine since August 2019, there haven't been any other changes I can recall that changed the driving control. There were a bunch of changes to the menu structure for apps, and new apps when v10 came out.

Reactions: OddJob83