Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to see Stealth Grey next to MSM, it looks to be the same colour to me only they forgot to put the shiny flecks in the paint pot.

I very much regret getting MSM for my second Model 3, I felt getting the same car in the same colour would be too boring but now I'll certainly be going Back to Black next time.
I went from white to Grey and also regret it. I wish I had gone red. its the only colour I don't see multiple of every day. Would be nice to feel at least a little special having spent so much on the car 🤣

Reactions: EVMeister
I also don't think much of the Stealth Grey. Like most paint colours in the sun it probably looks great, but the sun is an alien concept in the UK most of the time. I feel like it would suffer greatly in overcast conditions (i.e. 99% of the time).
Tesla's cough "range" of colours has always felt like another of their cost cutting measures. My car and its predecessor were both red over tan because literally every other car I see is some cheerless variation of grey.

In fact, one quarter of all new cars in the UK are grey. And the next most popular colour is black. Which as we all know is the same as grey unless you wash it every 250 yards and steer around puddles.

Along with limited sunshine hours it's no wonder everyone's miserable. Have a look around the next car park you stop in: grey grey grey black grey grey white grey. Half expecting the government to reintroduce monochrome as the broadcast tv standard.

Yeah Tesla paint is pretty underwhelming. I definitely miss some of the more memorable colours I've had. Hell, even Audi blacks are usually pearlescent and really pop with purple, etc in sunlight.

Would love some Porsche colours too.. crayon and the ice blue they have is lovely. The MG4 orange is very striking too.

As you say - the choice is very poor, by the numbers, not enough variety. Surely having more choice in that department wouldn't cost them more, would it? We're not asking for "paint to colour" custom paint jobs, just more variety.

Reactions: Leytonstone
It'd be lovely if they made some of the PFF colours actual colours. I'd have a real hard time choosing between Forest Green, Glacier Blue and Slip Grey.
1697799079827.png
1697799089201.png
1697799096846.png

I have a 22 Zero SR/S in Aileron, which is a flat, slightly old fashioned colour midway between Forest and Crayon and similar to Pearl Deep Mud on the 21 Gold Wing. And I routinely get stopped by folks not the least bit interested in bikes but who feel compelled to tell me hey, what a nice colour that thing is. In all my years of owning bikes, nobody has ever mentioned colour when striking up conversation.

And you know what, it is a nice colour. It's really different. It makes the bike.

1697802598387.png

The more you think about it, the odder it seems that Tesla doesn't even have one trendsetting colour on such an undeniably trendsetting car.

• Love
Reactions: LiamPope and Durzel
Yeah Tesla paint is pretty underwhelming. I definitely miss some of the more memorable colours I've had. Hell, even Audi blacks are usually pearlescent and really pop with purple, etc in sunlight.

Would love some Porsche colours too.. crayon and the ice blue they have is lovely. The MG4 orange is very striking too.

As you say - the choice is very poor, by the numbers, not enough variety. Surely having more choice in that department wouldn't cost them more, would it? We're not asking for "paint to colour" custom paint jobs, just more variety.
My take on this is to minimise the variations of cars they need to build. If you don't buy it, quite likely someone else will pick it up quickly.

When I asked on the Eletre R there were 3 customer cancelled UK cars just about to hit the country. It's certainly not like some makes in terms of customisation but there's enough that all 3 of these where wildly off the spec I would order so of no interest.

It's the mass market approach of Tesla. Also as mentioned people don't go for wild colours often so the lack of colours probably isn't stopping people buying a Tesla either.

It'd be lovely if they made some of the PFF colours actual colours. I'd have a real hard time choosing between Forest Green, Glacier Blue and Slip Grey.
View attachment 983793View attachment 983794View attachment 983795
Wonder if they might go the way of only shipping white cars and then wrap them to peoples choice just before purchase? If anyone would try something like that it would be Tesla. By that point it's just the 3 motor / battery options and either a white or black interior. So just 9 different combinations to build for each model.

Wonder if they might go the way of only shipping white cars and then wrap them to peoples choice just before purchase? If anyone would try something like that it would be Tesla. By that point it's just the 3 motor / battery options and either a white or black interior. So just 9 different combinations to build for each model.
That would be a nightmare imo.

I've had a wrap, and whilst they are great they are a nightmare when it comes to insurance. Few companies will cover them, as they complicate repairs. The same is true of PPF which is essentially just a transparent wrap.

Also wraps don't last forever, and can also hide a multitude of sins. Try selling a car with a wrap, anyone buying is going to wonder what state the paintwork is in underneath in case they want to remove it (or it starts coming off on its own).

That would be a nightmare imo.

I've had a wrap, and whilst they are great they are a nightmare when it comes to insurance. Few companies will cover them, as they complicate repairs. The same is true of PPF which is essentially just a transparent wrap.

Also wraps don't last forever, and can also hide a multitude of sins. Try selling a car with a wrap, anyone buying is going to wonder what state the paintwork is in underneath in case they want to remove it (or it starts coming off on its own).
It's a Tesla, they'll know the paintwork sucks underneath ;)

Insurance is interesting as they ask if the car is modified but if Tesla ship it to you like that then it's not modified. You'd not have to tell them about it, it's more just a case if they decide to adjust Tesla insurance costs but they are already high as it is.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Ok so what did everyone order !??

I’m replacing a white 2019 SR+

Would ordering a white 2024 SR+ be too boring !?

Best colour pound for pound ????

Placed an order last week for the new 3 LR to replace my 3 P whose lease is up in December. My app is quoting a delivery of mid to end December which seems way to early for the new revision model.

...actually I just heard back from Tesla after I queried the same and they've said they're going to freeze my order until 1st Jan. Makes me wonder though - would they really have expected me to accept the current revision of Model 3 when the order I placed via their website was based on the new revision they're advertising? In fact, it was via a link in an email I got from them saying the new revision was now available to order!

That feels a tad misleading to me to say the least.

Last edited:
Placed an order last week for the new 3 LR to replace my 3 P whose lease is up in December. My app is quoting a delivery of mid to end December which seems way to early for the new revision model.
firstly it will be more of an estimate than a quote. They can be wildly inaccurate. Secondly don't be too sure that is too early. They stopped making the old 3 a while back. Mid December delivery means shipping start of November. If they have RHD old spec cars to ship at the start of November where the heck have they been hiding them since the factory re-tooled. I don't see how any car shipping start of November can not be a Highland.
Unless you are a BMW driver now might be a good time to practice not indicating on roundabouts.

Reactions: Durzel

...actually I just heard back from Tesla after I queried the same and they've said they're going to freeze my order until 1st Jan. Makes me wonder though - would they really have expected me to accept the current revision of Model 3 when the order I placed via their website was based on the new revision they're advertising? In fact, it was via a link in an email I got from them saying the new revision was now available to order!

That feels a tad misleading to me to say the least.
With respect I don't know why it is misleading...

The link you got in an email saying (as I recall) - "preorder the new Model 3 Highland", or something along those lines, was always going to be some kind of ad hoc bodge of the ordering system, since you were ordering the existing car but actually expecting to get the refresh one.

I'd argue it was actually dangerous to follow this completely informal email - since it could potentially be argued, perhaps even in court, that the car you were told you were buying when you went through the process only is the one you were delivered, and that any email or correspondance you might have received prior to this was not contractually binding (unlike the actual website).

firstly it will be more of an estimate than a quote. They can be wildly inaccurate. Secondly don't be too sure that is too early. They stopped making the old 3 a while back. Mid December delivery means shipping start of November. If they have RHD old spec cars to ship at the start of November where the heck have they been hiding them since the factory re-tooled. I don't see how any car shipping start of November can not be a Highland.
Unless you are a BMW driver now might be a good time to practice not indicating on roundabouts.
I'm going to lean on the horn every time a Highland owner fails to indicate off a roundabout. They need to be reminded of the fact they've chosen to be worse drivers just to get a newer car.

• Funny
Reactions: speedyranger74
The link you got in an email saying (as I recall) - "preorder the new Model 3 Highland", or something along those lines, was always going to be some kind of ad hoc bodge of the ordering system, since you were ordering the existing car but actually expecting to get the refresh one.

Not quite sure I understand you there tbh. Their website describes the new version of the Model 3 very clearly (as far as I can see) and I'd expect any order placed via their website to be for what is described on the website. If something different to what's described arrives, I'm not sure how they could get away with that.

Not quite sure I understand you there tbh. Their website describes the new version of the Model 3 very clearly (as far as I can see) and I'd expect any order placed via their website to be for what is described on the website. If something different to what's described arrives, I'm not sure how they could get away with that.
Sorry I assume you meant you ordered via the website on the strength of an email that was apparently doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago inviting people to "Preorder the new Model 3 Highland".

In other words it was asking people to order a Model 3 (which still had the old one on the website, at the old prices & specs) and then hope that it would be converted into a refresh car by someone at Tesla manually.

Even if that did happen you'd still have the issue of having paid for a car that is substantially different to the one you actually receive - i.e. the specs you agreed to might be different, maybe worse in some cases, on the new car.