Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales rep told me things about tax credit, and M3 Highland I don’t believe.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just test drove a model Y to make sure I’m cool with it for long term car vs M3. Drove an S while I was there for the giggle shits (BTW, loved the ventilated seats and how it hugged the driveline - can't afford new model S though).

He mentioned the sales managers are being told to tell potential buyers that the highland refresh isn’t delivering to the USA until 2025. And that the tax credit is for sure being cut in half (if not gone entirely) January 2024, and that since Tesla isn’t considered a “dealer” (they are direct to consumer) that folks won’t be able to take the credit up front as has been recently discussed.

All of that felt wrong to me. But I can see the dealer thing because that kind of “gotcha” is exactly the kind of thing I would expect from 'legalese" wordplay - but I not heard single thing that supports this or even mentions it as a possibility. And part of M3 highland not delivering to 2025 seems like a stretch given that it’s available in Europe and China now.

I was holding off on purchasing an MY until 2024 so I can get that $7500 up front. Now I'm not so sure because there's no way to know if the $7500 will even be available in January 2024.

What do you guys think?

He mentioned the sales managers are being told to tell potential buyers that the highland refresh isn’t delivering to the USA until 2025. And that the tax credit is for sure being cut in half (if not gone entirely) January 2024, and that since Tesla isn’t considered a “dealer” (they are direct to consumer) that folks won’t be able to take the credit up front as has been recently discussed.
This could all be because they're seeing a loss of demand from customers who are waiting on the refresh.

I heard a sales rep tell someone that the highland tail lights don't meet U.S. regulations. I don't know enough to confirm or deny.
This doesn't really "ring true" to my ears... Tesla has made so many cost optimizations, seems very hard to believe they would manufacture 2 different rear ends (one for U.S., one for everyone else). Certainly they would have known in advance if this particular tail light doesn't meet regulations.

This could all be because they're seeing a loss of demand from customers who are waiting on the refresh.

This doesn't really "ring true" to my ears... Tesla has made so many cost optimizations, seems very hard to believe they would manufacture 2 different rear ends (one for U.S., one for everyone else). Certainly they would have known in advance if this particular tail light doesn't meet regulations.
Yeah, I think the stuff about the tax credit is pushed to make sales. Which is shitty IMO, even if plausible. Tesla has a history of exaggeration or plausible deniability.

I understand it, IMO it’s better to just be upfront with folks and help them decide. Elon hates pressured sales but this is more like misdirection.

Reactions: father_of_6
Just test drove a model Y to make sure I’m cool with it for long term car vs M3. Drove an S while I was there for the giggle shits (BTW, loved the ventilated seats and how it hugged the driveline - can't afford new model S though).

All of that felt wrong to me. But I can see the dealer thing because that kind of “gotcha” is exactly the kind of thing I would expect from 'legalese" wordplay - but I not heard single thing that supports this or even mentions it as a possibility. And part of M3 highland not delivering to 2025 seems like a stretch given that it’s available in Europe and China now.

I was holding off on purchasing an MY until 2024 so I can get that $7500 up front. Now I'm not so sure because there's no way to know if the $7500 will even be available in January 2024.

What do you guys think?
BTW the sales rep is full of sh*t. Go here https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#overview WHY would they say credit would be halved if there were NOT new models. Oh and if they're NOT a dealer then they can reduce the MSRP price accordingly

Did a Google search. Here is what I got

Tesla buyers may be able to take advantage of new federal tax credits for electric vehicles next year12. The credits can be as large as $7,500 for new vehicles and $4,000 for used vehicles1. To qualify for the full tax credit in 2023, 40% of battery minerals and 50% of battery components must be produced in North America3. To qualify for the full tax credit in 2024, 50% of battery minerals and 60% of battery components must be produced in North America3. The tax credit is available at the dealership rather than through a tax rebate in 2024

Go find the guy's boss and tell him he lost a sale due to some idiot.

What do you guys think?
Telling you everything they can to get you to buy 2023Q4 instead of waiting for 2024Q1.

What do you guys think?

Probably meant 2024. Refresh 3 is coming next year to the U.S.

Probably meant 2024. Refresh 3 is coming next year to the U.S.
My opinion is it will shrink to $3750 because they will not be using enough home grown lithium. It will not disappear. The guy is just trying to make Q4 look good. There's also an outside chance the ranges will be higher. What I am concerned about is it HW3 or 4? I posed a question on this site to our Eurpean friends who actually got one to give us any details. Nothing yet

I heard a sales rep tell someone that the highland tail lights don't meet U.S. regulations. I don't know enough to confirm or deny.
Highland Model 3 cars have been spotted driving on US roads several times. They have MFG plates and are marked as Engineering. They have legal lights, I don't know if they are the same as Shanghai versions or where they were actually built.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Highland Model 3 cars have been spotted driving on US roads several times. They have MFG plates and are marked as Engineering. They have legal lights, I don't know if they are the same as Shanghai versions or where they were actually built.
Yes, I think I got a glimpse of one yesterday. Did a doubletake when I saw the running lights, but it turned and I lost sight of it in traffic.

What do you guys think?
Buy the MY now, you will be ready to do your taxes in 60-90 days and then you will have your tax credit with 100% certainty.

OP, I would not believe anything a Tesla sales rep says about tax advantages. Contact a tax expert.
A "tax expert" has nothing to offer here.

The issue is how compliant a given vehicle is with all the nuances of the overly complicated tax code. Only Tesla can answer that for each individual vehicle, and it is a moving target because Tesla is constantly changing their configuration. I believe part of the tax code requires a car dealer to provide a document to the consumer that identifies what portion of the credit a vehicle qualifies for. We bought a Mode Y 3 months ago and did not receive this document (although I am 99.9% certain that our Model Y is qualified for the full $7500). The sales rep's certainly are clueless, but Tesla Corporation is NOT. It may not be possible for even Tesla to know which future vehicles will qualify for what portion because they have not finalized those configurations. It should definitely be clear when you go in to purchase a given vehicle, but don't expect a crystal ball when pondering a future purchase !

The app states it clearly here when you buy:
1700655116678.png

Next step, your income must be within the threshold.
It’s not that complicated.

I had a MachE in 2021 and completed my taxes last year taking the credit that existed then.

The app states it clearly here when you buy:
Yes, but it is important for people to understand that although it is clear for a vehicle that you are purchasing now, it is not possible to know what any future vehicle may or may not have. If you want to wait until next year's model comes out (or even next month), then all bets are off with respect to an applicable credit because Tesla can and will change the % of US content, etc. You are taking a chance when trying to predict the future regarding tax credit applicability.

Reactions: Silicon Desert