Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UHFS sounds different on my 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many already know, I just replaced a refresh 2016 S70D with a 2017 S100D. Starting to notice the subtle differences between the two cars as time goes on.

One striking difference is that UHFS seems to sound different between this car and my previous one, exact same equalizer / audio settings. The most appreciable difference is that there appears to be a lot more bass even in Dolby Surround mode, when before, turning on Dolby would basically get rid of most of the bass effects unless you cranked the equalizer way up.

The overall sound quality also seems a little different, slight nod to the new S100D.

Perhaps Tesla changed some components in UHFS between my two builds? Or maybe my 70D was a dud, or this S100D is just amazing.

The larger battery in the 100 provides a higher acoustic damping factor for the sub woofer. The soundwaves generated by the sub woofer then react with the additional lithium ion's in the battery pack causing a chain reaction across the entire pack that radiates acoustic energy throughout the cabin to dramatically reinforce the bass.

Or…don't believe everything you read on this forum. My meds. My meds. Where are my crazy pills?o_O

did you loose a good amount in swapping to the 17? I was entertaining the same move until I found out how much I'd get back for my 16 75.

Yeah, but around what I expected: Tesla ended up giving me the best trade in offer (shopped KBB instant cash, Carmax, Autonation) and it was also the least hasseled — I basically just emailed a dude and he sent me a PDF with an initial trade in offer (based off the options and milage they remotely pulled off my car) and after taking 8 photos, the price was confirmed and locked until I take delivery. Everyone else gave me slightly lower trade-in offers. I entertained the notion of a private party sale, but the additional money it fetched was not worth the extra hassle/risk (I had not paid off the car yet, and going to the CA DMV is like pulling teeth)

Long story short: I wanted to get some custom equipment installed on my car, and with AP2, I knew I would not keep my AP1 car for more than 1 more year at the most. All in all, it was going to be a sizable depreciation hit whether I trade in now or a year from now. I decided to enjoy the car I really wanted today.

Are you sure both cars were on the same firmware version? They've changed audio settings so many times I've lost count..

Good point. They weren't — I was on 17.4.14 on my AP1 and my AP2 is on 17.10.11. It's very much possible this is a firmware change.

Reactions: Sather