Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical Gen3 Charger Install Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been doing some research on approved installers for Gen3 chargers in Auckland and it seems prices vary wildly… in fact one could say some are just taking the p155 and applying a ‘Tesla Tax.

Keen to hear what others have paid on installs previously - Specifically on a single phase 32AMP.

In my case, I literally want it installed right below the main switchboard, have plenty of spare slots in the switchboard and have an 80A breaker coming in the house.

This is an easy one. Let's start at around $300 and go up to well over $3,000. It really depends on your specific situation.
80A breaker into the house is going to be a problem.

A 32A charging current is going to require at least a 40A breaker. Because charging is considered a continuous duty cycle load, the circuit has to rated at 80% of the capacity of the circuit.

With an 80A breaker coming into the house, there is a BIG possibility that you don't have enough capacity for a 40A circuit. It depends on what loads you already have in the panel.
Because of this, you may want/have to go with a lower charging level. I am currently using a single 120V/15A standard wall plug to alternately charge two Teslas. You can get about 60 miles in 12 hours charging. Up it to 240V and you get about 100 miles in 12 hours.

And if you must go with the 40A charging, your cost may go well above $3,000. And it is quite possible that you can't do it at all. There have been situations in neighborhoods where a homeowner asks the power company to provide additional capacity and they responded with the grid was already at the max in the neighborhood.

Sorry for the not as great of news.

If the panel isn't overloaded, then you should only be looking at a few hundred dollars to install.

This is an easy one. Let's start at around $300 and go up to well over $3,000. It really depends on your specific situation.
80A breaker into the house is going to be a problem.

A 32A charging current is going to require at least a 40A breaker. Because charging is considered a continuous duty cycle load, the circuit has to rated at 80% of the capacity of the circuit.

With an 80A breaker coming into the house, there is a BIG possibility that you don't have enough capacity for a 40A circuit. It depends on what loads you already have in the panel.
Because of this, you may want/have to go with a lower charging level. I am currently using a single 120V/15A standard wall plug to alternately charge two Teslas. You can get about 60 miles in 12 hours charging. Up it to 240V and you get about 100 miles in 12 hours.

And if you must go with the 40A charging, your cost may go well above $3,000. And it is quite possible that you can't do it at all. There have been situations in neighborhoods where a homeowner asks the power company to provide additional capacity and they responded with the grid was already at the max in the neighborhood.

Sorry for the not as great of news.

If the panel isn't overloaded, then you should only be looking at a few hundred dollars to install.
Thanks for the response however I’m located in Auckland, New Zealand - All our houses are 230V over here - Not 110/120v like USA so 80A @ 230v is quite a lot.

The max my house pulls currently is 20A and that’s peak at 6pm at night , ovens cranking, heating blasting etc.

I’d only be charging off peak so can take advantage of the cheap rates (11pm - 6am) - At that time my whole house is only pulling 2A.

Really looking for experience of NZ based installs 👍😊

Reactions: FlyingKiwi
This was my install by AB Electrical.

Install gen 3 tesla wall charger in garage. Installed isolator for gen 3 charger that switches the phase and neutral. In switchboard installed 32a
overload protection and 30mA leakage protection on dedicated circuit for tesla wall charger. Additional to main switch installed 63a overload
protection before all final subcircuits. 20m run.
Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector with 32amp Single Phase Supply
Our standard installation is as follows:
- Cable from the switchboard to Tesla Wall Connector (10m included in standard pricing)
- RCD Type A (Worksafe and Master Electrician Compliant)
- Set Up Gen3 WC on Local WiFi for Updates
- Local Isolator
- Surface mount conduit
- No switchboard upgrade works
- No civil works
- Total cable run is 20m - charged additional 10m extended run
- No weekend or after hours works
- Client-supplied Tesla Wall Connector Gen3
- No load management
Tesla Extended Run Single Phase (Per Meter)
$40.00
$400.00
Tesla Install Standard Pack Gen3
$980.00
$980.00
$1,380.00