Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TXU Free Nights plan (just switched)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily, my "flexible" rate was only in affect for one month; my bill doubled despite using less electricity! I switched to StarTex at 6.9c on a 6 month contract.

Watch out for them, they provided no notification that I was out of contract, even when I logged into my account. Nothing a calendar reminder doesn't fix, but I just learnt my lesson the expensive way.

The average price per kWh I'm getting is ~10 cents and this is during the heat of the summer. Once October/November hit with cooler temps, my average will drop significantly. I have seen those promotional rates that Pete posted, but I've also seen where those companies jump up to ~25 cents per kWh once the promotion is finished. I don't want the hassle of going back and forth between companies every 3-6 months.

The average price per kWh I'm getting is ~10 cents and this is during the heat of the summer. Once October/November hit with cooler temps, my average will drop significantly. I have seen those promotional rates that Pete posted, but I've also seen where those companies jump up to ~25 cents per kWh once the promotion is finished. I don't want the hassle of going back and forth between companies every 3-6 months.

I've resigned myself to the fact that in this ridiculous N. Texas deregulated electricity market "test case" we live in, you save a lot of money with some simple, but annoying steps:

1. Put a calendar reminder a few weeks before your contract expires
2. Search powertochoose.org - pick a low rate you can live with.
3. Click through and sign-up to cut over on your expiration date.
4. Go back to step 1 above.

If you are an apartment dweller or consume less than 2000 kWh it probably doesn't matter, but if you suck up 5000+ kWh (i.e. me) with AC running Apr-Nov, doing this 10-15 minute gyration can put $500+ back in your pocket over a year.

I wonder why Austin is not in the deregulated zone? ;)

I've resigned myself to the fact that in this ridiculous N. Texas deregulated electricity market "test case" we live in, you save a lot of money with some simple, but annoying steps:

1. Put a calendar reminder a few weeks before your contract expires
2. Search powertochoose.org - pick a low rate you can live with.
3. Click through and sign-up to cut over on your expiration date.
4. Go back to step 1 above.

If you are an apartment dweller or consume less than 2000 kWh it probably doesn't matter, but if you suck up 5000+ kWh (i.e. me) with AC running Apr-Nov, doing this 10-15 minute gyration can put $500+ back in your pocket over a year.

I wonder why Austin is not in the deregulated zone? ;)

Agreed, and it's more than $500, I just wasted that much by letting my last contract flip to the BS variable rate. Just about all of my team at the office do the same thing, it's worth the small amount of effort, but point 1 is important, as it seems certain Poco's don't tell you when your contract is about to expire (remember, you can switch 4 weeks prior to expiration without penalty).