Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off the Media/Audio??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll ask again, months later. What is the difference between pausing and turning off?

Presumably turning it off would power down the amplifier and would stop the communication with streaming audio sources. I'm not sure either can be done. Of course, you can stop the streaming by selecting a non-streaming source, but I don't believe there is just an "off" setting.

I do wonder this as well. The other day, I was running a bit close to 30 miles on the range, so I was able to shut down my bluetooth, dim my screen and other options to save on energy use. However, I couldn't figure out a way to shut the media system off so the amplifier is not running.

I do wonder this as well. The other day, I was running a bit close to 30 miles on the range, so I was able to shut down my bluetooth, dim my screen and other options to save on energy use. However, I couldn't figure out a way to shut the media system off so the amplifier is not running.

I was wondering this as well. but to be honest, the amount of power the amp is using is negligible. even if the system was using 500watts CONTINUOUS (not realistic), that's 0.58% battery per hour. It's probably more like 50-100watts/hour total, so you're talking about like 0.1%. You're talking about a range difference of about .31 miles per hour, lol. In a 3 hour road trip, it might save you about a mile. If you really want some more range, get some low-rolling-resistance tires and the aero wheels. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't figure out a way to shut the media system off so the amplifier is not running.

By the way, just because the amp is "on", doesn't mean it's sucking juice. sure there's some vampire load for keeping it on, but it only uses more power than that when its powering the sub on a bass hit.

Why don't you just push the button to skip to the next song?

Didn't think I could skip because I listen to my local FM radio station using TuneIn rather than FM. The scroll wheel effectively 'pauses' live radio. I'm sure there is a limit to how much play time it buffers, but I haven't tested that out. The FM station must be too far away for the Model S antenna to receive it properly. Never had such weak FM reception in any other car (same station, same driving locations). I suppose with TuneIn, I could pause it for a while, hit play and then skip. Will give that a try however it amounts to the same thing as turning the volume down and waiting.

I wish there was a mute button just like on the left scrollwheell on the audio up/down area on the lower right of the main screen. I'd like it so my wife can mute the sound with one click when the kids in the back start asking questions, screaming, whatever.

It can be a pain to sit there and click-click-click to turn the audio down using the buttons, for the front seat passenger.

Didn't think I could skip because I listen to my local FM radio station using TuneIn rather than FM. The scroll wheel effectively 'pauses' live radio. I'm sure there is a limit to how much play time it buffers, but I haven't tested that out. The FM station must be too far away for the Model S antenna to receive it properly. Never had such weak FM reception in any other car (same station, same driving locations). I suppose with TuneIn, I could pause it for a while, hit play and then skip. Will give that a try however it amounts to the same thing as turning the volume down and waiting.

I didn't know that you could pause TuneIn. That would have been useful during the World Series.

Now I have to go figure out how long of a buffer it has just because I hate not knowing.