Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turkey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the new supercharget network map on tesla, and it shows that at year 2015, there would be a network from serbia, bulgaria to the border of Turkey. but no info on Greece and Turkey. Still its great news and this means at least in 2016, they would reach to those countries and tesla is serious about it. which is a great news. I'm really and realy excited about this. İmagine a trip from istanbul to amsterdam with no fuel cost, no charging cost!

I think with the introduction of the Model 3, there will probably be a broad expansion of Tesla into developing markets, including Turkey, Eastern Europe, Russia and South America. As stated earlier in this thread, right now, the Model S is for the "super-rich" in Turkey, where the average income is around $10,000 a year. Even at around €30,000, it would still be a relative luxury item, but not drastically more than comparable premium models.

Model S and X would be for niche market. no doubt about that, but thats what it was intended to be anyway. for regular people model 3 is coming, and thats easily within the range of many turkish people. considering a VW is the hottest brand selling car in the consumer market and with an avg price of 45,000 usd no worries for Model C on that front. important part is the infrastructure of superchargers but it clearly show tesla is doing their homework and quickly. all good news for everyone.

I was in Turkey last week and spent a good part of the time on Ilica Beach.
I saw a Lambo and a Ferrari drive by one day. So you can be sure a Tesla
will be coming soon too. Soooo much diesel fumes in Turkey :) It is time
for a change, especially with the hundreds of windmills in that area.

/Ed

Kaizen,

where's your parking located, is it near Tsimiski St (Οδός Τσιμισκή)? It would be great if you can manage to get funding for a charging station inside your parking, just another reason more to visit Thessaloniki more often when I get the Model S. Also, a supercharger in vicinity of Thessaloniki would be perfect for residents of Macedonia to connect with Igoumenitsa, and from there by ferry, either to the beautiful Ionian islands of Corfu, Zakynthos or Lefkas, or to Italy and so on.

Hi everyone, I am now back from the vacations. Yes, the parking station is near Tsimiski road, only 5 min on foot from Tsimiski road.

To the rest of the comments it is crucial to my opinion to buy now the land in Greece , if Tesla decides to build supercharger stations here, as land is now devaluated but prices will go up in the future.

I have emailed Tesla and waiting for their response.

We would need "at least" a couple of superchargers near Chalkidiki (Kassandra, Sithonia) as well. I'm from Istanbul and recently went there for vacation. Those "fingers" are too big for an electric vehicle. It took 30 km from my hotel to Kalithea in Kassandra. Even if they did have a supercharger each in Kassandra and Sithonia, we would have to get a hotel near the supercharger. So Tesla really needs to invest in Greece to arrive in Turkey where they will meet immense market demand and attention. They have to build the infrastructure throughout Eastern Europe unfortunately. However they don't even have the simplest plan for Eastern Europe nor Turkey yet even for entire 2015. Instead, they seek to make superchargers more dense in central and western europe.

I think Tesla should start a supercharger station in Igoumenitsa, one in Thessaloniki and one in Alexandroupoli.
We will definetely need one more station in Halkidiki/Kassandra in the future as this is a primary touristic location, and Greece is investing a lot of money on a new Highway from Thessaloniki to Kassandra at the moment. There will be a new Highway from Thessaloniki to Paliouri in the near future too.

Kaizen,

where's your parking located, is it near Tsimiski St (Οδός Τσιμισκή)? It would be great if you can manage to get funding for a charging station inside your parking, just another reason more to visit Thessaloniki more often when I get the Model S. Also, a supercharger in vicinity of Thessaloniki would be perfect for residents of Macedonia to connect with Igoumenitsa, and from there by ferry, either to the beautiful Ionian islands of Corfu, Zakynthos or Lefkas, or to Italy and so on.

Yes it is 5min on foot from Tsimiski str. A charging station in Thessaloniki and/or Halkidiki will bring many Tesla onwers to Greece, especially those who want to visit the Halkidiki Peninsula , from May to October.

For Greece, there is no import tax on electric vehicles. There is a so called ''luxury'' tax which is depends on CIF price but this is going to be cancelled soon and it applies only to vehicles with IC engines. Electric vehicles whatever their price don't pay either import tax or luxury tax in Greece. Their owners also dont pay any road tax. Therefore electric vehicles or hybrid are cheaper here than in other countries of the EU.

For Greece, there is no import tax on electric vehicles. There is a so called ''luxury'' tax which is depends on CIF price but this is going to be cancelled soon and it applies only to vehicles with IC engines. Electric vehicles whatever their price don't pay either import tax or luxury tax in Greece. Their owners also dont pay any road tax. Therefore electric vehicles or hybrid are cheaper here than in other countries of the EU.

This sounds almost too good to be true. Now if only the Model S were not so BIG.. what a pain to drive around the narrow streets of Athens. I also wonder if the tech package would include Navigation infer for places like Athens and Thesaloniki.

Hello everyone.I have just looked at the updated supercharger map.It shows a supercharger at Istanbul in 2015.I am really glad that Tesla is coming to Istanbul in 2015.I just wish they establish one in Izmir too as soon as possible.

I spoke with someone from Tesla and they replied that Greece is not a priority.
Good news for Instanbul, hopefully they will build a supercharging station in Thessaloniki by 2016 too.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds almost too good to be true. Now if only the Model S were not so BIG.. what a pain to drive around the narrow streets of Athens. I also wonder if the tech package would include Navigation infer for places like Athens and Thesaloniki.

Well , that's the situation now. Green technology i.e. electric cars are favoured here. New cars with less than 100gr CO2 emmissions also pay 0 road tax.

Athens has some pretty nice roads, I don't think you will struggle with the model S there. Navigation is not a problem, you can buy a secondary external unit for less than 100 dollars, although as far as I know, the model S offers naviagation via the google maps so that should suffice.

Tesla Motors latest map of Superchargers for 2016, including Turkey, Greece, Macedonia and other countries in Southeastern Europe. It is simply amazing what Tesla is accomplishing is such a short time frame.
teslascnetwork.png

Wow it's been almost a year since I started this thread and now Tesla is officially coming in, much sooner than I expected so that is awesome.

I saw the one and I think only Tesla Model S in Turkey the other day and boy was I jealous. Can't wait for Tesla to introduce the Model III (so I can afford it) and for Tesla to launch operations in Turkey (only 12 months tops left for that) so I can fulfil a dream, owning a Tesla. ICE engines look so ancient to me now and I still have my 11 year old VW Golf struggling to not die and it looks like I have at least three more years till I get my Tesla Model III. (assuming deliveries before 2017 isn't possible)

Actually, thinking of Tesla's commitment to due dates I wouldn't expect mass international deliveries of the Model III before 2018 or maybe 2019 (considering the immense demand) But I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of Model S's in Turkey starting next year once they have a real, official dealer and service centre. Can't wait!

So after more than a year since I started this thread we know for sure that Tesla will establish itself soon in Turkey. Their expansion in Northwestern Europe was more rapid than I expected and I am impressed. As a Turkish Tesla enthusiast who can't wait to get a Tesla here in the country with the extreme fuel prices, I am stoked to see 9 superchargers planned in Turkey by the end of 2016 and one by the end of next year.

As an Apple enthusiast alongside my Tesla love, I saw Apple's initiation officially in the country besides the certified resellers just a couple years ago that resulted with Apple launching their iTunes Music Stores, Online Apple Store and their first ever Turkish Apple Store. The way they went about with that was "green field venture" so they started almost from scratch gathering up talents, hiring and researching key people, looking up locations, doing analysis etc. So they had a lot of work to do before they did the grand opening of their Istanbul Apple Store. (took them more than a year)

So with only a month left in 2014, and the map showing one supercharger in Istanbul by 2015, shouldn't Tesla start their operations here already? Still no rumours (not that Tesla rumour mill is as big as Apple's) haven't seen any job applications regarding Tesla nor anyone speculated a store location. I saw in one Turkish website and this guy said they were just opening a supercharger in Istanbul so people could travel there, supercharger didn't mean store and official sales, service, representation etc.

What do you guys think? Will we see something like that soon enough?

As I've mentioned in my original post Tesla has a great advantage here. ICE cars have extreme taxing here (below 1.6cc 45%, 1.6-2.0 90% and above 2.0liter engines 145%(!)) With electric vehicles though the biggest tax rate is 15%. So in countries with reasonable taxing you can get an M5 for 100,000 euros, but in Turkey it sets you back 260K euros. If Tesla were to start sales here, Model S p85D would probably cost like 110K euros at most so this means rich Turkish people (there are a lot of them) can get a car which is the equivalent of an M5 if not better for less than half the price. Plus with an EV you don't pay the yearly tax which is on average 1K euros a year. Considering a base model BMW 520d costs 80K euros here I'm thinking Teslas will sell like hotcakes. (just like it did in Scandinavia) In fact because our government is sheer evil they probably will come out with a special tax for EVs that will put Tesla's price up there with others. Because if not, after the Model 3 launch Tesla's factories will only produce cars for Turkey, the demand will be that great.