Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shortsville times running out of FUD. Now resorting to creative abbreviations. From Apple stock newsfeed:
1BAFB6AD-117E-4AA5-895B-38A3CD66AF55.jpeg

Can someone summarize the MMD thing for me or link me to something?

Tesla's stock has this weird thing where it almost inevitably immediately gives up its overnight gains, and usually well below the previous day's close, early in the morning, before popping back up and then behaving normally.

Normally such behavior in a market is eliminated based on people choosing to profit on predictable behavior, and maybe it will be in time. But as for now, it's humorously consistent. A lot of people here credit it to short manipulation, but I think it's probably mostly a symptom of A) a difference in the types of people engaging in aftermarket / premarket trading vs. trading during opening hours (when institutional investors are generally active), and B) various portfolio-rebalancing policies of TSLA-heavy institutionals.

Last edited:
“For me, the fact that we were able to build at scale, amid all that craziness, that’s the real accomplishment,” one former engineering executive told me. “Just think about it: We designed a car that is so simple and elegant you can build it in a tent. You can build it when your CEO is melting down. You can build it when everyone is quitting or getting fired. That’s a real accomplishment. That’s amazing.”

To me the above is very positive coming out from this article! They succeeded the M3 ramp in the worse time of Elon and Tesla. Imagine what they can do now and future while Musk is in good shape and everyone else’s Tesla!

We can fairly assume that many of the small fish shorts are in a similar situation as that poor fellow.

We have seen time where the FUD was that thick that even we here at the forum needed time to distinguish truth and accurate from lies and made up. For that this Forum has been and is just worth "Gold" and I mean that literally.

Many investors though have been trapped in a echo chamber about Tesla been doomed one way or another and after a while people get pulled into a situation where its not any more about the money alone but about yourself and your reputation within your friends, family, colleagues and loved ones. There is a point of no return where it does not matter if facts show that Tesla will do well because its very hard for people to acknowledge to themselves they have been wrong all the way and now change source. You need self confidence and some boldness to do that.

I expect there is a large group of shorts, bears any naysayers out there who are emotionally not able to make that confession to themselves and the world as it means to lose face and in their view respect from everybody. Those are the ones who will lose most.

Its sad that this happens to them but as an investor you should never fall in love with a stock and always remain open for the possibility regardless how small you call it that your assumptions and predictions are wrong.

Its an exhausting exercise to repeat that but a hard requirement for success. Thats why I call investing really hard work.

This is what happens when you’re all about money and you let it rule your life in general.

Money is paper or plastic or metal or ones and zeros. When worshipped as more than what it is, balance in life suffers.

I get people have to put food on their table, a roof over their heads, pay their bills etc... but wishing, hoping, praying, expecting, wanting others to suffer or fail so that you can be monetarily enriched gets you exactly what you deserve. And that works both ways; bears and bulls.

I have no empathy for depressed, want to prematurely leave this world Twitter dude. I do have empathy for the innocents in his life that he’s put through this - if he’s even telling the truth. Yeah, I’m not necessarily convinced.

There’s a huge difference between I don’t think Tesla can make it because (huge list of probable, rational, logical reasons over the years) so I think TSLA is a good short and the Tesla/Elon is a scam, taxpayers subsidizing Ponzi scheme, GF is a Potemkin Village, hateful, dishonest spewing of diarrhea so I’m going to make it my personal mission to run it into the ground.

I got nothing but love for Tesla, TSLA, Elon, JB and the whole gang. And I got enough love for SpaceX, Boring Co., The Brick Store, et al...as long as the intent remains to do better for all. Anyone else on the other side of this coin can go pound sand.

Tesla's stock has this weird thing where it almost inevitably immediately gives up its overnight gains, and usually well below the previous day's close, early in the morning, before popping back up and then behaving normally.

Normally such behavior in a market is eliminated based on people choosing to profit of predictable behavior, and maybe it will be in time. But as for now, it's humorously consistent. A lot of people here credit it to short manipulation, but I think it's probably mostly a symptom of A) a difference in the types of people engaging in aftermarket / premarket trading vs. trading during opening hours (when institutional investors are generally active), and B) various portfolio-rebalancing policies of TSLA-heavy institutionals.

Thank you.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor

Normally such behavior in a market is eliminated based on people choosing to profit of predictable behavior, and maybe it will be in time. But as for now, it's humorously consistent. A lot of people here credit it to short manipulation, but I think it's probably mostly a symptom of A) a difference in the types of people engaging in aftermarket / premarket trading vs. trading during opening hours (when institutional investors are generally active), and B) various portfolio-rebalancing policies of TSLA-heavy institutionals.
Makes me wish I had some money in a day trade account. It seems like it would be easy money.

Stating the obvious here: stock has some legs this AM.
Yes 1% above Nasdaq.
Tesla target upped to $465 at Baird on upbeat profitability expectations
MARKETWATCH 5:52 AM ET 12/13/2018

Baird analyst Ben Kallo increased his price target on Tesla Inc.(TSLA) shares to $465 from $411 on Thursday, writing that he believes investors will start thinking about the company as one that can be "sustainably profitable" rather than as a perpetual money loser. "We think Tesla's transition to becoming sustainably profitable will transform the narrative around the company and should coincide with positive catalysts (including new product introductions/production, international Model 3 deliveries, China factory, etc.) which should drive shares higher," wrote Kallo, who has an outperform rating on the stock. Kallo said that while Tesla executives have said that they don't anticipate needing a capital raise, he expects that doing so "would remove lingering liquidity concerns and could be prudent to strengthen the balance sheet and insulate against risks of a broader global slowdown." The stock is up 1% in premarket trading Thursday, and it's gained 18% so far this year. The S&P 500 has dropped 0.8% in that time.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
It appears that Marge 'Nkalingyu is back on the phone again today. Her cousin Marge 'Nkalferyu has the day off.

Yep. It's really "Tesla beating macros" that matters in terms of pain for the shorts, rather than just "Tesla doing well". If everyone does well, then their long positions offset their short positions. When macros go down, however....

Status
Not open for further replies.