Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Immediately regret clicking that link... (Fred's spin is always terrible). "Punishing early adopters". No, Fred you got exactly the car you ordered for exactly the price listed. Tesla's mission is to get electric car adoption to spread as quickly as possible, as widely as possible, and a critical part of that is price reduction. You have to know that Tesla does not wait for "model years" to change prices and features. You run Electrek, for crying out loud.

If you're not happy with what you're getting, at the price you're getting it, when you place your order... don't order a Tesla. It might change tomorrow (without warning, because they don't want to Osborne themselves). That doesn't change what you got. Drop the envy for someone later than you getting a better deal - the goal is that everyone in the future gets a great deal. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you be an early adopter - you wanted to be an early adopter.

Im an early adopter, I don’t have any beef about paying more for my car. The trickle down affect applies to any technology. Remember when flat screen tv use to sell for $20k? Same ones go for $500 now.

Fred Lambert cracks me up. His tone on Tesla seems to depend mostly on how much something affects him personally.

Yeah, the waambulance is parked at Electrek HQ tonight.

em-swaambulance-em-s-ems-waambulance-27918093.png

My friend ordered a P3D- this past Sunday, his car is built and on its way sans the now-free plus package, and he's not whining.

Uh oh, shorts are toast.

Oracle founder Larry Ellison discloses big personal stake in Tesla

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Oracle's Larry Ellison Discloses Tesla Stake, Sees ‘A Lot of Upside’

• Billionaire says electric-car maker is his No. 2 investment
    • Chairman of software maker criticizes how media covers Musk
Isn’t Ellison worth $50 billion?

Founders' earnings include dividend, salary, and often they borrow against their large stake to do investment.

Ellison owns 30% of Oracle. My wild guess is that's 70% of his net, his total could be $80B or more. Wikipedia only knows publicly disclosed large stakes. If he has $5B in an index fund, or a small stake in Costco, Wiki and Forbes won't know.

Founders' earnings include dividend, salary, and often they borrow against their large stake to do investment.

Ellison owns 30% of Oracle. My wild guess is that's 70% of his net, his total could be $80B or more. Wikipedia only knows publicly disclosed large stakes. If he has $5B in an index fund, or a small stake in Costco, Wiki and Forbes won't know.

@neroden, Ellison had a $10.8B line of credit in 2015. Bloomberg - Are you a robot? Whatever portion of those funds were invested in 2015 have earned a healthy return so the funds available would be significantly greater today.

We don't know if he used the entire credit line but his largest investment from those funds is TSLA. We can speculate from there but hundreds of millions of $ seems like a given. Depending on how widely he's diversified his investments 1-2% of TSLA would not be out of the question. He's excited enough about TSLA that he spent a decent chunk of time on the Oracle ER call talking about it, which says something.

Also, aren't some of Blackrock's TSLA investments through index funds?

Last edited:
The DoJ needs to prove that Elon/Tesla lied. They need someone to say, “I told Elon in April, May, and July there was no way ( and it’s in fact impossible) Tesla would produce 5k week.” Who better to say these things then *former* employees.

Am I the only person who thinks that at least one of said "former employees" - if not the only one - is Tripp?

Ugh the mythical short squeeze talk again! I remember what happened the last time.
I would prefer to avoid a squeeze and have a nice gentle and steady rise. A short squeeze will fund a new generation of shorts, or give the Koch’s a new entry point to encourage other traders to come on board. A steady rise will just slowly bleed the shorts and let earnings and growth drive valuations. Tesla can be generating 2 billion a quarter a year from now and over 3 billion per quarter in 2020. For a company growing 70% over several years, 12 billion in earnings could be worth 200 billion market cap. Who needs a squeeze, when a nice long hug will do.

I do not practice criminal law but this is my understanding from being involved in similar civil matters. Actually the FBI will gather facts for the DOJ prosecutor. The prosecutor will be considering whether he can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that EM intentionally lied about production. It seems to me that even if former employees said something is impossible, the real question is EM's motive and state of mind. Remember a jury must unanimously believe that EM intentionally lied for some purpose. This is not a civil case like the SEC regulators. The jury would have to strech a lot to find bad motive and EM constantly revised his optimism downward. Also the jury would likely hear or know how many times EM has accomplished the impossible. I am not saying there is not a risk of political prosecution but the DOJ would have an almost insurmountable hill with a jury especially in CA. I continue to believe that the FBI is professional and dedicated. However I do not have the same confidence in prosecutors. In essence this could be a drag on the stock.

The DoJ needs to prove that Elon/Tesla lied. They need someone to say, “I told Elon in April, May, and July there was no way ( and it’s in fact impossible) Tesla would produce 5k week.” Who better to say these things then *former* employees.
Yeah but how does that makes sufficient evidence? How many people including industry experts told Elon landing rockets are impossible?

Maybe it is time to reflect on April 2013

They say history never repeats but sometimes ........

In April ,2013 Elon texted profitable quarter , the price was approx $ 45

On 8th May,2013 earnings were released and the price prior was $55

The next 5 days over 20m shares were traded each day , and by 31 May the price was $ 114

By 1st October 2013 the price had risen to $ 194 ( 5 month run approx )

My guess we will see $ 400 by the New Year

Yes, it is apparent that China & Europe will go electric before the USA. It makes me sick that the USA does not have the political will to do the right thing. And obviously, business (outside of Tesla) does not have the will either. This lack of a quick transformation will make the USA a second rate country, if we aren't there already.
It's not just a lack of political will to do the right thing. It's a sheer lack of understanding the whole American auto industry as well as Energy sector is being jeopardized by the systematic refusal of pushing ahead with investments and R&D into sustainable transport and energy production. How many well-paid American jobs does that represent?

I agree with you tis time folks wake up, as this could represent a direct threat to USA's prominence in the world order. And here we thought they was trying to make America great again.

I would prefer to avoid a squeeze and have a nice gentle and steady rise. A short squeeze will fund a new generation of shorts, or give the Koch’s a new entry point to encourage other traders to come on board. A steady rise will just slowly bleed the shorts and let earnings and growth drive valuations. Tesla can be generating 2 billion a quarter a year from now and over 3 billion per quarter in 2020. For a company growing 70% over several years, 12 billion in earnings could be worth 200 billion market cap. Who needs a squeeze, when a nice long hug will do.

upload_2018-10-26_22-23-25.png

[Reminds me of 2013... they've learned to be a little nicer now compared to 2013. Back then, I clicked "Confirm" for my S on the order page at 11:59:50, ten seconds before my order period would have timed out had I not confirmed. Then, a day later, Tesla announced major price hikes and revamps on the Premium Package and Sound system, and they introduced Parking Sensors for the first time, as an option. I talked to my DS and was told, basically, "Tough luck, you ordered, if you cancel and re-order, the same car (with "improved" versions of Premium & Sound, as well as Parking Sensors) will now cost $4750 more." So I bailed on getting parking sensors and took the car as-is. Oh well. 91000 miles later, I'm still driving the ol' clunker, and still loving every minute of it.]

According to the Electrek article, "(Tesla) said that they will adjust the price for the vehicles on order, but buyers who took delivery before today are out-of-luck."

Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance – punishing early adopters/reservation holders

I’m heavily invested into TSLA so a few more leg ups will make 5000 a wash.

But it’s unreasonable to tie TSLA performance from the perspective of being a car owner. For yourself and other owners.

Other owners might not own any stock and other owners might have an even higher cost basis than present thanks to “funding secured”.

I will survive just fine, but will fight for the car owners who don’t own TSLA. Tesla could have handled the massive drop better.

Hashtag #punishmentsecured if you feel like helping.

5B912FAE-307D-41A9-B2EE-5DF54BF2E5DC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.