Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports I've seen are that Panasonic is currently adding 3 new 5GWh lines to bring GF1 up to 35 GWh from 20. Originally they were expected to be online by end of this year. I think one or two of those were pushed out to Jan/Feb.

The new lines are only 3GWh/year each, not 5. (Bringing them to 29 GWh/year) And I think the thing people missed about the "by the end of the year" message is that they meant the end of the FY for Panasonic, which happens to be 3/31/19. So I think they are still on track for the original estimate.

Reports I've seen are that Panasonic is currently adding 3 new 5GWh lines to bring GF1 up to 35 GWh from 20. Originally they were expected to be online by end of this year. I think one or two of those were pushed out to Jan/Feb.
This suggests that if the demand requires, Panasonic can add at least 6 - 8 new lines next year after these 3. That many would bring GF1 to 65 - 75 GWh by end of next year.

Why do you believe that all Panasonic can manage is adding one new 5 GWh line per quarter?
Please spend a little effort into reading the comments I've posted explaining my reasons, and it's not especially helpful to state unsourced opinions. Frankly I'm weary of debunking this.

Last edited:
Rivian Pickup ladder skateboard looks expensive and heavy compared to model 3 underframe (no longer a skateboard really):

Rivian-Skateboard-Platform-EV-Truck-Teslarati-1.png

screen-shot-2017-09-22-at-11-02-29-am-e1506092632494.jpg

https://teslatopinfo.com/2018/11/20...n-china-with-interest-rates-likely-to-be-3-5/

Google Translate

note:
looks like this news is a few days old, but haven't seen it reported anywhere outside chinese media.

Tesla (TSLA.US) or raised about 1.3 billion US dollars in Shanghai to promote the construction rate of 3-5%
November 17, 2018 09:23 Zhitong Financial Network
I'm surprised this would pass through the tesla snoopers filter for a few days. Should wait for a second source. It's ammo for both shorts and longs

tl;dr

Late Q4 / early Q1 Tesla will start to produce approximately
  • 650 Mid Range Model 3s
  • 350 Long Range Model 3s and
  • 50 Powerwalls Edit: 2170 cells for PWs are not produced in GF1
per day.

My numbers confirm carsonight's claims:

We know Tesla is aiming for 1.000 cars / day in the coming weeks. This, in return means they need at least two extra lines (times 14 machines times 30k cells / day) to build 972 Mid Range models per day by then.

Now, since we know they won't exclusively produce only MR-, but also LR-models and Powerwalls, a third extra line becomes a necessity. With that in place, the most profitable split is around 65% MR and 35% LR. Per pure coincidence, this exact ratio also shows up in their recent VIN fillings (assuming RWD = MR, AWD = LR).

A single anecdote: my son’s LR 3 was produced 5 days ago and will make it to the east coast in two weeks.

Please spend a little effort into reading the comments I've posted explaining my reasons, and it's not especially helpful to state unsourced opinions. Frankly I'm weary of debunking this.

You artfully dodge answering a very simple question.
"Why do you believe that all Panasonic can manage (going forward) is adding one new 5 GWh line per quarter?"

You stated earlier:
"That's NOT the point. The POINT is that while Tesla is battery constrained, every battery cell allocated to Semi production is a battery cell diverted from Model 3/Y production"
"Each new (enhanced) Panasonic battery line at GF1 adds about 3GWh capacity per year. That's enough for about 5,000 Semis with the smaller pack size."

However last September 26 Electric reported the following:
"Tesla Gigafactory 1, which started in 2013, has already grown into the biggest battery factory in the world with an annual production capacity of over 20 GWh.
Panasonic said that it planned on adding three production lines to increase the capacity to 35 GWh by the end of the year to support the production ramp. "

Perhaps Panasonic changed this announcement to 29 GWh for adding three lines by end of year and I missed that. If that's the case, would you mind posting a link to the revised statement? If not can you stop referencing 3 GWh per line?

You seem to have assumed that because Panasonic fell a step behind meeting Tesla's demand for more cells this quarter and Q3, they will never be able to add enough new lines in 2019 and 2020 to meet the number of vehicles Tesla can produce in that time frame. Unless you are privy to the internal communications between Tesla and Panasonic about matching cell supply to demand, what facts can you cite to prove Panasonic at GF1 will not be able to add lines to reach the goal of 105 GWh at GF1 by the time that Model Y is being produced by the hundreds of thousands? Model Y reveal will be this March.
We can hope that it's ramp will begin by Q3 or Q4 of next year. Large volumes won't need cells from GF1 until 2020.
While more M3s will initially be assembled at China GF, Tesla plans to produce cells there to supply the larger volumes they will build up to.

On Oct. 31 Electrek reported:
Panasonic CEO Kazuhiro Tsuga commented (via Reuters):

“Investment for capacity beyond 35 GWh means that Tesla would also need to make substantial investment in vehicle production, so we will closely align with each other,”

BTW, if you are mistaken about as basic a fact as the number of cells the new lines produce, you need to pay more attention before cooking up your theories and presenting them as if they are fact.

You artfully dodge answering a very simple question.
"Why do you believe that all Panasonic can manage (going forward) is adding one new 5 GWh line per quarter?"

You stated earlier:
"That's NOT the point. The POINT is that while Tesla is battery constrained, every battery cell allocated to Semi production is a battery cell diverted from Model 3/Y production"
"Each new (enhanced) Panasonic battery line at GF1 adds about 3GWh capacity per year. That's enough for about 5,000 Semis with the smaller pack size."

However last September 26 Electric reported the following:
"Tesla Gigafactory 1, which started in 2013, has already grown into the biggest battery factory in the world with an annual production capacity of over 20 GWh.
Panasonic said that it planned on adding three production lines to increase the capacity to 35 GWh by the end of the year to support the production ramp. "

Perhaps Panasonic changed this announcement to 29 GWh for adding three lines by end of year and I missed that. If that's the case, would you mind posting a link to the revised statement? If not can you stop referencing 3 GWh per line?

You seem to have assumed that because Panasonic fell a step behind meeting Tesla's demand for more cells this quarter and Q3, they will never be able to add enough new lines in 2019 and 2020 to meet the number of vehicles Tesla can produce in that time frame. Unless you are privy to the internal communications between Tesla and Panasonic about matching cell supply to demand, what facts can you cite to prove Panasonic at GF1 will not be able to add lines to reach the goal of 105 GWh at GF1 by the time that Model Y is being produced by the hundreds of thousands? Model Y reveal will be this March.
We can hope that it's ramp will begin by Q3 or Q4 of next year. Large volumes won't need cells from GF1 until 2020.
While more M3s will initially be assembled at China GF, Tesla plans to produce cells there to supply the larger volumes they will build up to.

On Oct. 31 Electrek reported:
Panasonic CEO Kazuhiro Tsuga commented (via Reuters):

“Investment for capacity beyond 35 GWh means that Tesla would also need to make substantial investment in vehicle production, so we will closely align with each other,”

BTW, if you are mistaken about as basic a fact as the number of cells the new lines produce, you need to pay more attention before cooking up your theories and presenting them as if they are fact.

People on Reddit say that in this article: Tesla hints at seeking new battery suppliers in blow to Panasonic

“There’s no way a single company could cover all the immense need for auto batteries,” Yoshio Ito, the head of Panasonic’s automotive and industrial systems company, said in response to Musk’s tweet. “We’ll discuss the matter with Tesla, but we’re envisioning a range of options.”

I can't read that article so can't confirm it, but might be what you're looking for.

Reactions: neroden
I don't see how selling covered calls is less risky than buying. When you sell a covered call you can lose your shares and are exposed to large opportunity risk. When you buy a call your upside is very high and downside = what you paid.
OK, realistically the guidelines are from the broker's perspective - they would rather you lose your opportunity and have money than put all your money into weeklies and have no money in a week. It all depends...
Option Approval Levels | InvestorPlace

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.