Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a false equivalency. 1 semi probably uses about as much battery as 3 Y's or 2 pickups. And margins are probably excellent for semi. Plus literal visibility of semi is a non-negligible factor.

That would be about 250 kWh of battery capacity. That won’t get it very far.

Sounds like an ideal partner for a powerwall.
From an economic point of view, not really.
We need the most electricity for heating in the winter when solar panels have a lot less output, so there’s no solar power surplus to store in the winter.
And the delta between peak prices and night prices is too small to make charging during the night from the grid, and consuming that during the day worthwhile.
However, if I had a powerwall I would at least have a guarantee that I would be able to heat my home during the winter. As you may have heard, due to 5 of the 6 of our nuclear plants being shutdown for maintenance, we may get electricity grid shutdowns next januari or februari. Luckily I live in an area that would be shutdown last. It would probably world news if a western country like Belgium would have to resort to such measures, but here the electricity situation is daily news.

I honestly find the TMC forum website to be very sophisticated. With that in mind, wouldn't it be super if the TSLA thread could have the TSLA ticker built in somewhere?

It would be nice if each post was auto-tagged with the stock price at the time of posting. That way when i catch up on 20 pages after work there is some context.

Have not seen this noted here, but could be the most understated news of the week, and from Tripp chowdry no less.
He says they are dismantling the tent, yes that tent. Implication is that 7000 a week this month would be with the original G3 line. That means margins could go up and there could be a new surprise assembly line appearing somewhere in Q1?!
If true, I think it’s most likely the tent would go to Shanghai and that 3000 a month in China could be sooner then anticipated. Ok, probably crazy idea, but if true, Tesla could have higher margins in China and hit 10,000 a month much sooner then expected.
Love to hear from locals. If the tent is coming down, margins are going up. If the tent goes to Shanghai or even Sparks, revenue is going up soon.

Tesla (TSLA) Production Surge Possible as Huge Tent Gets Dismantled - Global Equities' Chowdhry

Elon Musk on Twitter

Supercharger V3, which starts rolling out early next year, will also charge much faster
Remember for all practical purposes it is your car - the battery size, current SoC, ambient and battery temps are the constraints.

So i am not sure higher supercharger rates will help that much, unless they come with a bigger battery. The Roadster and Semi can definitely benefit, but not the sub 100 kWh cars

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
Have not seen this noted here, but could be the most understated news of the week, and from Tripp chowdry no less.
He says they are dismantling the tent, yes that tent. Implication is that 7000 a week this month would be with the original G3 line. That means margins could go up and there could be a new surprise assembly line appearing somewhere in Q1?!
If true, I think it’s most likely the tent would go to Shanghai and that 3000 a month in China could be sooner then anticipated. Ok, probably crazy idea, but if true, Tesla could have higher margins in China and hit 10,000 a month much sooner then expected.
Love to hear from locals. If the tent is coming down, margins are going up. If the tent goes to Shanghai or even Sparks, revenue is going up soon.

Tesla (TSLA) Production Surge Possible as Huge Tent Gets Dismantled - Global Equities' Chowdhry
Bears would say, 'Tent going down due to #NoDemand"

Remember for all practical purposes it is your car - the battery size, current SoC, ambient and battery temps are the constraints.

So i am not sure higher supercharger rates will help that much, unless they come with a bigger battery. The Roadster and Semi can definitely benefit, but not the sub 100 kWh cars

I remember some talks about liquid cooled charging cable, that should work.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

"Space Exploration Technologies Corp. is now seeking to raise $250 million despite having enough investors on board to reach the targeted $750 million, the people said. The debt is expected to price on Tuesday within the initial guidance for the bigger loan at 99 cents on the dollar and yielding 425 basis points above Libor, they said."

"Investors had negotiated to strengthen loan covenants, especially on the definition of earnings for the cash-burning space exploration company, according to one of the people."

Some of us work during market hours and can’t watch the ticker in real time. For that reason I don’t mind the ticker discussion.
Could we post the live SP and corresponding date and time on each page of this forum? Better yet, posters could opt to show the SP on each post at the time they hit "Post Reply". Or opt to show it live. Add a little space between the 6 rating icons for us clumsy old folks, and a place we can click to hide any post we don't want to see again... and I bet more of us will click the red "SUPPORT TMC" on the bottom of this page. Did you guys know that was down there??

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash

Based on his history, I don’t have any more faith in Trip than I do in Tamberrino. They have the same track record, always wrong, just in the opposite directions.

What really matters is time to volume production, not initial market intro. Apart from brief moments, Tesla vehicle production is limited by total battery output.

So the critical path of everything is constrained by Panasonic. I can't imagine Elon being happy with that. You have to feel for Panasonic. One minute being asked to wait while Tesla sorts out pack production, next minute being told they are the handbrake. If only Panasonic were a division of Tesla...

So the critical path of everything is constrained by Panasonic. I can't imagine Elon being happy with that. You have to feel for Panasonic. One minute being asked to wait while Tesla sorts out pack production, next minute being told they are the handbrake. If only Panasonic were a division of Tesla...

Yep, and that is one reason why I think they should start the Semi production, in limited quantities ASAP. Then tell Panasonic to ramp up and make as many cells as possible as fast as possible. The Semi can eat up the battery production insanely fast. (It only takes ~500 LR Semis a week to use as much battery capacity as 7,000 LR Model 3s a week.)

So use the batteries for Model 3, Powerwall, Y, Pickup, etc. and then just put any leftovers into Semis.

Status
Not open for further replies.