Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're onto something here.
Sentiment is so poor. This may be a great opportunity for Elon to reset the whole dynamic when reporting numbers. Do not try to create happy narrative, present things as they are, somber, even make them worse than they are. No promises, don't offer hope. SP is low enough that it won't be affected for that reason alone, And this would be a great set up for overdelivering, rather than working from position of catching up to the promise and trust deficit.
But he won't do it. I think ego won't let him. Nothing can be done there, he is who he is, and that ego is probably huge part of his success. Reasonable people don't start car and rocket companies...

I agree this would be a good move, and I agree Elon won't do it. I don't think it's ego, however. He's bright enough to understand that sometimes one's pride must be swallowed.

I think the real reason is fear. He's flat-out said that Tesla's real value is not the cars, but rather the productizable factory, the machine-building machine, the alien dreadnought, the volumetric efficiency, the vast superiority of Tesla's manufacturing capability over pitiful blind dinosaurs like Toyota and Ford. What happens to the Tesla story, and the Tesla stock price, if he comes clean and admits this was all baloney, and that Tesla is actually less capable than GM as a maker of cars? Elon is afraid to find out.

What happens to the Tesla story, and the Tesla stock price, if he comes clean and admits this was all baloney, and that Tesla is actually less capable than GM as a maker of cars? Elon is afraid to find out.

Well, we don't live in the parallel dimension where that is the case, so neither the peanut gallery nor Elon will find out.

Show me any other manufacturers with automated seat and dash installation robots with integrated nut/bolt drivers.
Show me any other manufacturers with all transmission, motor/engine, and fueling system creation/assembly under 2 roofs total (3 if you include fuel supply).

The differentiator for Tesla will be the price per unit for assembly on top of raw materials, the faster the factory, the better the margin.

You've missed the point, Todd. The question at hand is what's driving the 15%+ nosedive in the stock the past two days.

I'm not holding Tesla to any standard. The stock market is saying that Tesla is falling short somewhere. I suspect the recent Uber and Tesla crashes are a significant factor. Whether that's fair or not is entirely irrelevant.

And the question you ask is irrelevant because tomorrow, next week, next month and next year it’ll be something else; the first fire, the first recall, the 100th bankruptcy, the first death, the coming competition, the fourth wife, omg the list is endless.

It is what it is, elevator up or down. Get off if you don’t like the ride, get on if it’s going to your floor of choice, or just stay on and ride that puppy like it’s the world’s greatest roller coaster.

The only thing that matters is the Tesla mission. Has it changed in the last two days or is it business as usual? The stock will catch up in due course only to pull ahead, then fall behind, then catch up again - rinse and repeat.

The American stock markets will observe regular trading hours tomorrow.

NYSE: Holidays and Trading Hours

2018 NASDAQ Stock Exchange Holidays | StockMarketClock

TD Ameritrade agrees.
Aha! I didn't completely dream it. ETrade banner announcement:
Important Information About Good Friday
In observance of Good Friday, the US stock, bond, and futures markets will be closed on Friday, March 30, 2018. Additionally, US bond markets will close at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 29, 2018.
I just missed the bit about it being the bond markets.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Apparently you didn't see today's news. These robots are precisely the problem - Oops!

Tesla is overusing automation in Model 3 final assembly, analysts say

These analysts really have chosen the wrong profession. With all their knowledge about factory automation, they could have earned millions building not automated factories. While now those ‘amateurs’ who thought that this level of automation was feasible, actually have to build the automation (and probably did).

In short: don’t listen to financial types who claim to know something about technical issues. If they were any good at it, they wouldn’t be in the financial sector.
In Dutch we have the saying ‘De beste stuurlui staan aan wal’.

Well, we don't live in the parallel dimension where that is the case, so neither the peanut gallery nor Elon will find out.

Show me any other manufacturers with automated seat and dash installation robots with integrated nut/bolt drivers.
Show me any other manufacturers with all transmission, motor/engine, and fueling system creation/assembly under 2 roofs total (3 if you include fuel supply).

The differentiator for Tesla will be the price per unit for assembly on top of raw materials, the faster the factory, the better the margin.
you DO live in a parallel dimension if you believe tesla is better at manufacturing than the big companies
they produce upto 10 million cars a year, tesla is struggling to go over 100k per year and is losing huge amounts of money producing them
what is good about that? dont get blinded by all the talk

Really Guys? We don't even know if auto pilot was on. It's Moody's downgrade and the expectation that Tesla will once again fall short on M3 production. It's the fear that even if 5K/WK is reached it will be unprofitable. It's the current stock price, which makes capital raises very difficult and expensive.

Sorry to comment on the accident, I realise there's another thread on it, but... Dreadful that the driver died, seems to me that the biggest contributor to this outcome was the poor road maintenance. However, a small positive I take from it is that the unfortunate driver was removed from the wreckage alive, but died later in hospital. Looking at the photos of the crash and hearing the description of it, I'm astonished anyone could have survived the initial impact.

So my conclusion is that my Model X is rather safe...

In my Fidelity account just now I noticed this graphic, under "Market Movers: Today's Orders By Fidelity's Customers"
6139.png

Does that mean most people were buying it?

Timing of fall in the stock price is just baffling. Because you have got ton of good news on Tesla , Signs of Model 3 production accelerating, , Norway deliveries rocketing in march, Autopilot update being great, great reviews for model 3, model 3 software updates being rolled out , new faster MPU's on S and X , model 3 deliveries opened in Canada, model 3 AWD and white interior cars being spotted, Solar roof installations etc. And yet stock is plummeting. That's why it feels being manipulated. This fall could have been justified in January or post Feb earnings call but not right now. Tesla is not profitable ever since it's debut in market baring couple of quarters so its not new news.

My take ,
For Q1 model 3 production numbers 10-12k with 2000+ weekly run rate
Q1 model 3 deliveries 8-9k
Q1 S/X deliveries 22-24K

Tesla will be closer to 5k weekly rate by June end and Tesla will affirm this in coming production numbers release.
Tesla does not need fresh capital other than refinancing any maturing debt this year.

Do not worry about stock price now, it will bounce back in next 3-4 weeks. After coming earnings release is when I think Tesla will accelerate towards 400 and probably go above it in June.

The negative sentiment is absolutely incredible. It's just old news being recirculated again and now it's being done in mainstream media.

The only way to reverse the trend or at least cauterize it to stop the bleeding is in next weeks report it tells us what production level was reached for Model 3.
I assume some funds had to sell on Moody’s downgrade. Once the stock is adjusted to the institutional adjustment it can rebound.

I’m in Madrid this week. Saw first Model S in front of Prado museum and Tesla shop was busy with two groups.

Reactions: madodel
If you follow the Model 3 lot pictures thread over in the Model 3 subforum (you should if an investor), it looks like there's a dramatic uptick in truck loading activity from that lot. Most pictures and reports from various times of the day indicate about 10 semis loading and hauling away cars at any one time.

Latest report is there were tons of trucks even late at night.

I have a feeling that even though total delivery numbers for Q1 will be lower than most of us expected, they will be close to or will exceed the 2,500/wk number exiting Q1.

I think market may not be expecting this (especially due to the lag of the Bloomberg tracker), and there will be a big correction upward. Today is the last day to get in. If you want easy money, buy today.

Just a hunch and I could be wrong of course, but I base this on truck activity relative to levels we saw at that lot earlier this month.

I'm feeling pretty good about profits coming consistently within about a quarter. Whether Tesla decides to go spend that for further expansion is another thing, but it's starting to look like Tesla is now back on track.

Well, hold your horses with this one. While I keep fingers crossed this will be the case in the future, it's nowhere near reality yet. For now I put it on the shelf next to Tesla Network - nice fantasy, but still long long way to go. I have no doubt they will get there, in 3 years maybe, definitely 6.

Sounds like you feel strongly about this.

Given your assessment that there wont be a true leader (let alone a massively dominant leader with over 50% market share), what year do you think Tesla will fall below 50% of global market share of long range EVs (200+ miles of range), excluding ones built by Chinese manufacturers for Chinese consumers?

A straight forward answer, i.e., naming a year that you think this will happen, would be appreciated.

Tesla isn't dominating the EV market with 50% market share currently (% is way less), but if you only implied to long range EV, then yes it is taking the lead.

The year is 2022. Tesla's current 250-300 battery range will lose its magic in 2022 because it will be joined with several other players that also have this range.

Also, Tesla has participated in a side quest to build 1 million EV by 2022. But guess what, several major brands also have pledged to reach that number too. (and they have more capital resources)

Back to my point, which player will be a force to be reckon with (or the dominant leader of EV).. the answer is no one. =]

300 range ev - Google Search

2022 ev - Google Search

Status
Not open for further replies.