Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No @jhm, I am not asking for 'baseless speculation'. If I was interested in baseless speculation I would have used another site to ask for that kind of response. I posted my question here on TMC because I am continually amazed at the amount of news/information people find and share before I ever run across it. The two top-moving auto stocks trading more than 5% above all the other auto stocks I follow, and trading within 0.1% of each other certainly seems like a reason to ask an informed board if anyone on TMC might have some idea why, doesn't it? I just wanted to know if I missed some news regarding the correlation, or if someone knew why Audi was up so much when Germany seems so neutral on EV's.
Sorry, my language was simply lighthearted exaggeration. Perfectly valid question.

Last edited:
i made some solid gains after being down big early. im out for the day. phew....
I just started trying to duplicate option _snipper. Yesterday I sold one (starting cautiously) TSLA call for over $2k that I bought for $480 on Friday.

I missed his TSLA trade this morning, he made a little over 100% on todays very brief dip!

Last edited:
I believe Tesla would do this and turn Superchargers and all the stuff around them like Coffee shops and restaurants into a profit center. Since Audi owned by VW and VW has to build a huge charging network because of Diesel gate, why would Audi want to help Tesla. I think Tesla would do it, im suspect why Audi would when its not clear that VW really believes in EVs.
This would depend on the nature of the partnership. To be sure, Audi would not do it to help Tesla. They would do it to deliver the best experience to their customers. Particularly, if they are unsure of the long-term viability of EVs, then effectively "leasing" capacity in the Supercharger network could be the lowest risk option. They would not need to have an equity stake in such infrastructure. One way such a deal could be structured is that Tesla sells licenses to Audi that allow them to sell a vehicle with Supercharger access. This may simply be an option to the owner of the vehicle wherein they agree to pay some amount per use. Tesla would put proceeds from sell of Supercharger licenses into building out and maintaining the network. Audi would then be able to market the car as Supercharger Enabled, and this would close the charging gap between buying an Audi EV or a Tesla. A buyer would simply select the car that best meets their needs as both have the same access to Supercharging. This would enable Tesla to monetize the value of the SC network beyond the number of vehicles it could produce. So the price Tesla sets on Supercharger licensing would reflect the perceived value consumers place on the network itself. Additionally, Tesla would be competing with other charging network operators such as ChargePoint. If Tesla demands a license fee that is too high, then these competitors will have an opportunity to undercut Tesla. So I suspect that there is price point somewhere in the middle where Tesla wins, Audi wins and EV buyers win. Particularly, if Musk is really serious about selling food and entertainment at Superchargers, it's extremely important to expand the customer base beyond the number of vehicles Tesla can produce. And if that business model prove profitable enough, Tesla may be willing to license access for next to nothing. (Of course, charging stations with a restaurant could easily provide charging for all EVs.)

Elon just needs to buy In-N-Out. Its owned by one person and most of the country does not have access as they are mostly in the West. Oh wait.. Cows exhale and fart so eating them in large numbers is bad for the environment so I am not sure if the synergies are there, but I still love the idea.
It's pretty straightforward to include vegetarian options in a burger menu. This would go a long way toward offsetting environmental concerns. It's up to the customer to decide.

I forgot to mention that, as a vegetarian Tesla owner, I have a vested interest in seeing that vegan and vegetarian options are included. Presently, not all Superchargers have adequate vegetarian food within walking distance.

Last edited:
It's pretty straightforward to include vegetarian options in a burger menu. This would go a long way toward offsetting environmental concerns. It's up to the customer to decide.
Swedish burger chain MAX (one of the biggest companions to Supercharger locations here) has chosen to profile itself as green: fully CO2 compensated by planting trees, offering a vegetarian, even vegan, alternative and in fact promoting that instead of more CO2-intensive beef menus. So, nothing new as such.

This would depend on the nature of the partnership. To be sure, Audi would not do it to help Tesla. They would do it to deliver the best experience to their customers. Particularly, if they are unsure of the long-term viability of EVs, then effectively "leasing" capacity in the Supercharger network could be the lowest risk option. They would not need to have an equity stake in such infrastructure. One way such a deal could be structured is that Tesla sells licenses to Audi that allow them to sell a vehicle with Supercharger access. This may simply be an option to the owner of the vehicle wherein they agree to pay some amount per use. Tesla would put proceeds from sell of Supercharger licenses into building out and maintaining the network. Audi would then be able to market the car as Supercharger Enabled, and this would close the charging gap between buying an Audi EV or a Tesla. A buyer would simply select the car that best meets their needs as both have the same access to Supercharging. This would enable Tesla to monetize the value of the SC network beyond the number of vehicles it could produce. So the price Tesla sets on Supercharger licensing would reflect the perceived value consumers place on the network itself. Additionally, Tesla would be competing with other charging network operators such as ChargePoint. If Tesla demands a license fee that is too high, then these competitors will have an opportunity to undercut Tesla. So I suspect that there is price point somewhere in the middle where Tesla wins, Audi wins and EV buyers win. Particularly, if Musk is really serious about selling food and entertainment at Superchargers, it's extremely important to expand the customer base beyond the number of vehicles Tesla can produce. And if that business model prove profitable enough, Tesla may be willing to license access for next to nothing. (Of course, charging stations with a restaurant could easily provide charging for all EVs.)

I totally get it. But you really didnt address the question. VW is being forced to build a charging network already. Audi is wholey owned by VW? I get the benefits to Audi, it takes a long time and money to build out a charging network where you can drive anywhere on the planet and never get to far from a charger, even when its part of a court ordered settlement because your parent company broke the law and defrauded a bunch of people. I guess my point is that VW is already being forced to take the risks so maybe its just about providing the best experiences for customers. Also this VW network will be accessible by Tesla's and other EVs already, obviously with some kind of adapter, based on settlement. So maybe this is a bit of a quid pro quo where Tesla is being gracious and saying, because VW is being forced to build out a high speed charging network, we are willing to discuss granting access to Audi, which makes the combined networks much better for both companies and EV owners in general. I believe its more then $2B worth of new charging infrastructure that VW must build.

It almost seems inevitable, its not like auto manufacturers have their own gas stations. Gas stations already do not make any money from the fuel, really pennies on the dollar. They make most of their money of the convenience items they sell. Every charging station would have a solution based on how many stalls and how busy they are. They wont all have restaurants. Some might just have vending machines and the 40 stall super stations might have a nice coffee shop and a retro burger joint with an actual convenience store that is 24x7. A captive audience is a beautiful thing. Only the biggest most trafficked locations would have a restaurant, and most would just have some kind of cool, self service, vending solution.

Reactions: dhrivnak and jhm
I totally get it. But you really didnt address the question. VW is being forced to build a charging network already. Audi is wholey owned by VW?

Unlikely to occur but wondering: Putting aside whether/how the Tesla/CCS compatability could be solved (separate cable ends, adapters, whatever), did the ruling specify that VW had to build a pure CCS network themselves? Could they in theory sub contract it out to Tesla as long as the resulting network has CCS connectors and VW puts $2B into it? There's many other reasons why this likely would never happen, but is there any legal reason with the settlement that it couldn't?

If Tesla is serious about getting into the power delivery (charging stations) game with all it's attendant potential profit centers (i.e. convenience stores, food, etc), and really want to promote BEVs, is it entirely crazy to start building SC stations with at least some CCS connectors to widen their customer base? I'm sure they can find a way to package them into similar pedestals (perhaps even dual-cable pedestals) and maintain the brand look.

At least in Europe this is easier if they can switch to Type 2 CCS ports (looks like it would fit for Model 3's charge door, but need either an exterior refresh or the Chinese market fuel door kludge for S/X), as they can keep the non-CCS part Tesla modified Type 2, and thus without adapter those cars could receive both Tesla and CCS connectors. Just have to maintain a mix for some time, adjusting mix as mix of cars with non-CCS ports changes. In NA this is going to need separate cable ends or separate pedestals, or tethered (and likely to be stolen/damaged) detachable adapters. If they don't switch to CCS ports in Europe then they'll have to take all the same measures as NA.

One annoyance is the CCS cars might have a port anywhere, so longer cables must be attached to the pedestals, but this is only an aesthetic issue, technically it is trivial.

I don't think it's so simple. I suspect Tesla supercharging is closely integrated with their cell and battery management system design. For anyone to provide supercharging on their car, they would likely have to license Tesla's battery technology, and Tesla would have to provide technical support. It will probably require the licensee to volume produce in order to have enough economy of scale to be able to afford the license fee that would make it worthwhile for Tesla. Audi for sure could shoot for such volume, but it would require them to commit a pretty large % of their production to EV to make this happen, battery supply could also get in the way even if there is a will.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi and jhm
Status
Not open for further replies.