Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And TSLA closed at $320.10 with significant end of day volume in the final 10 minutes, when price briefly dipped below $320.

Also someone hunted all those $319.90-ish stop orders and soaked up the liquidity - normally the breaching of such a strong line of support would have dipped the price to at least $317 - but it stayed above $319 this time on high volume and closed at $320.10.

Very curious price action!

Gentlemen, you can't talk about market action in here - this is the Market Action thread!

So here’s a fun anecdote. Feel free to disprove my friend if you think he is wrong and know different.

I have a good buddy who works for Toyota. He says no one holds it against you if you drive a car from another manufacturer.... unless it’s Tesla.

The people that have them at Toyota never drive their Tesla’s into work and never drive them to social events where they could be compromised.

Funniest *sugar* ever. Had me rolling.

Wonder if it goes both ways... how many Tesla employees drive Toyotas? Any Prius'? And do they feel comfortable driving them to work?

It did after all used to be a Toyota plant, along with Geriatric Motors...

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
Indeed, an ambush was briefly attempted about 10 minutes before the close, but today's unrelenting buying interest near $320 quickly brushed aside the insurgents. :cool:

What insurgents? I only saw terrorists! :cool:

With this protection at $320 what should we do for tomorrow ?

Three more curious market action details:

• The TSLA close of market trading session had an uncharacteristically high volume of 220k+ shares - much higher than daily volume would indicate. It resulted in the $320.10 closing price.
  • The closing session allows the posting of almost arbitrary amount of BUY LIMIT orders, which get matched with sell limit orders and get executed at the closing price. "Excess" orders are discarded. I.e. there were more than 220k limit orders at $320.00, which soaked up all the sell orders (220k shares worth of).
  • After market price never went below $320 either.

I.e. the $320 barrier seemed to be very strong - at least today.

Trade it like a min-pegged currency - if you trust the peg.

Last edited:
Wonder if it goes both ways... how many Tesla employees drive Toyotas? Any Prius'? And do they feel comfortable driving them to work?

It did after all used to be a Toyota plant, along with Geriatric Motors...

It's obviously not a problem for Tesla employees to drive Toyota's. Not all Tesla employees can afford Tesla's at this point in time. Many in the factory or retail locations are of college age. If they hold on to their stock options and do their job, they certainty will be able to.

The animosity for Tesla is high at traditional auto for many reasons, socioeconomic being one of them. Not having a union, not rolling coal, Tesla ending them if successful, etc and you have all sorts of reasons for Tesla to be taboo at traditional auto.

A Prius at a Tesla office is not a big deal, but you'd have to be pretty ballsy to roll up in a Taycan or iPace and park in Elon's spot.

Edit: Oh. and buy an adapter so you can charge your Taycan at Tesla using their HPWC. :D

Last edited:
It's obviously not a problem for Tesla employees to drive Toyota's. Not all Tesla employees can afford Tesla's at this point in time. Many in the factory or retail locations are of college age. If they hold on to their stock options and do their job, they certainty will be able to.

The animosity for Tesla is high at traditional auto for many reasons, socioeconomic being one of them. Not having a union, not rolling coal, Tesla ending them if successful, etc and you have all sorts of reasons for Tesla to be taboo at traditional auto.

A Prius at a Tesla office is not a big deal, but you'd have to be pretty ballsy to roll up in a Taycan or iPace and park in Elon's spot.

Indeed...

Well, if you are an Apple employee being spotted holding an Android phone on campus you're career is pretty much doomed.

Edit: Oh. and buy an adapter so you can charge your Taycan at Tesla using their HPWC. :D

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Am I reading and interpreting this correctly?
"Tesla reaching the $185 price target is absolutely crucial for out mission: to be able to cover our 15 million shares TSLA short position."
Does this mean
$185 is the aggregate basis of their short? $2,775,000,000 they got for shorting
$420 is the aggregate amount to buy back $6,300,000,000 they may owe?

a :pLOSS:p of $3,525,000,000 :)o_O
(i anticipate abrupt retirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.