Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk/Frunk dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, one of the key dimension issues was determining how many golf bags could be stowed in the storage areas. This is something Lexus documents for their cars (4 bags) when they describe the size of their trunks.

I believe the answer is the car can handle 4 golf bags with 4 adults (which I will check in February or March, when I get my car). Two bags should fit sideways in the rear trunk. To hold the other two bags, the small portion of the back seat would be folded down - and the other two bags extended forward from the trunk area into the rear seat area, allowing two adults to sit on the rest of the rear seat. This would still allow room for some luggage in the rear trunk/hatchback area and in the frunk.

The frunk does not appear to be long enough to handle full golf bags, but might hold at least one bag, if the longest clubs were removed.

thought this would be the place to share a storage solution, have been kind of waiting to see what Tesla comes out with for the Frunk organizer. We often go to a farmers market on Saturdays and two dairy cases have fit the bill. I can load them up with loose items and bags and then carry them in the kitchen to be emptied, works really great.
SAM_1744.jpg
SAM_1745.jpg
SAM_1746.jpg

@bjwModelS, no, I don't believe it will fit if my conversions are correct. Sorry. :/

Bummer. Was hoping that'd be the ticket to storing a stroller with 3 kids. Looks like the most compact stroller out there.

Now I'm wondering if I can get a $20 stroller from Target, cut the metal and create a few joints, and essentially fold it in half again.

Although we can probably just toss an umbrella stroller across the rear seat floor if I have 2 in the rear-facing seats and 1 in a car seat in the back row.

Yeah, the frunk is pretty small in the Ds. I can't find much worth fitting in there so I just keep a cooler in there. Plus, I'm afraid of the dreaded frunk crease so I avoid using it too much. Actually, 99% of the time I use it when I have leftovers from a restaurant; I put them in the cooler and zip it up so I keep that new car smell!

Bummer. Was hoping that'd be the ticket to storing a stroller with 3 kids. Looks like the most compact stroller out there.

Now I'm wondering if I can get a $20 stroller from Target, cut the metal and create a few joints, and essentially fold it in half again.

Although we can probably just toss an umbrella stroller across the rear seat floor if I have 2 in the rear-facing seats and 1 in a car seat in the back row.

I have 3 kids also, and I can attest that you can fit a lot of stuff across the rear seat floor since its flat (no transmission tunnel). A stroller certainly, and I sometimes fit a Playards like this (in its transport bag).

You can't get donuts for cars with brakes this big.

My wife's Cayenne GTS came with huge calipers under 21" wheels. The Porsche solution for the donut was to supply a wheel spacer that moves the donut out of the way of the calipers. Not sure if the donut has an 18" wheel or 19"; I'd have to check. Point is: it can work.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I'm anxiously waiting for my new D to show up :), but in the meanwhile I looked at every single detail of the car.
The new frunk is WAY smaller (the dimensions seem to confirm it, so I am being redundant).

Stroller - no way.
Backpack - yes
Laptop bag - yes
Carry on - Depends, hardshell may not fit, really depends (some people really push the limits of what carry on is!)
Groceries - yes, but that floor cubby in the trunk looks better suited for the job, and you can get this - Amazon.com: Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer: Automotive

I am going to use the frunk as a bigger glovebox frankly.
Stuff I very rarely access, but is always in the car,

a) Flashlight + Emergency jump battery - Amazon.com: NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive
b) Car registration and insurance dox
c) Umbrella
d) First aid kit + emergency food + blanket
e) Tire repair kit + pressure checker

And some people talk of the frunk letting water in, so all this will be in a water tight protective thing.
This way, my glovebox will be empty for other stuff, like tissue, phone, cards, sunglasses etc.
Don't forget a change holder for tolls/parking - Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 91116 Coin Holder: Automotive

Also, both for the trunk and the funk, I'm going to get a couple of these for light - OxyLED® T-02 DIY Stick-on Anywhere Portable 10-LED Wireless Motion Sensing Closet Cabinet LED Night Light / Stairs Light / Step Light Bar with Magnetic Strip (Battery Operated) - Silver - - Amazon.com

I'm anxiously waiting for my new D to show up :), but in the meanwhile I looked at every single detail of the car.
The new frunk is WAY smaller (the dimensions seem to confirm it, so I am being redundant).
(...)
And some people talk of the frunk letting water in, so all this will be in a water tight protective thing.

In 18 months and 28,000 miles I never had water get inside the frunk except when its raining and you open it. I mean, never had water leak inside while driving or resting. I would leave a laptop unprotected here without worrying about it.

The led light add-on is a good plan, I did something similar with led strips that I tapped the 12V from the original useless light for both the frunk and the trunk.

That sort of stuff I keep in the rear storage area under the trunk floor. It may be almost as capacious as the D frunk!
And I don't think you have to worry about water leaking into the frunk.
I am going to use the frunk as a bigger glovebox frankly.
Stuff I very rarely access, but is always in the car,

a) Flashlight + Emergency jump battery - Amazon.com: NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive
b) Car registration and insurance dox
c) Umbrella
d) First aid kit + emergency food + blanket
e) Tire repair kit + pressure checker

Never did find a good version of dimensions like these (abundantly available for my Subarus though) -- So I made a set for my own reference and ease at making sure what I have at the hardware store checkout will fit in my actual car.

Attachments

• Tesla Cargo - length with labels.JPG
    Tesla Cargo - length with labels.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Tesla Cargo - lower trunk with labels.JPG
    Tesla Cargo - lower trunk with labels.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 49
  • Tesla Cargo - width with labels.JPG
    Tesla Cargo - width with labels.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 58