Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike in the cargo trunk of Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After graduating from M-3 up to M-Y my (biking) life have changed! In the good ol' days of M-3 I hade to remove the front wheel when transporting my bike. Now the bike fits in nicely as is, complete, at full length. The "enabling technology" is very simple- I bought a Mat Waterproof Cargo Liner Including Rear Seat Cover for Tesla Model Y. You can get it at Amazon here for $70. See image.
The mat protects the cargo space, including the rear seats back and the sides. It is sturdy, very easy to remove and clean and it looks nice.
No need for external bike rack. My expensive bike is protected from the elements and from thieves and yet I have enough space for my other gear in the back, in the cargo area inside the rear trunk, in the side wells and in the frunk.
I have been taking my bike for bike-rides in my Tesla on short, frequent trips , as well as on long ones (example), and now with my M-Y it is just a breeze..

Attachments

• 2023Bike in M-Y.jpg
    2023Bike in M-Y.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 223
Thank you for your reply. The yellow tape is a good idea.

However, I was wondering how to access the second hidden storage?

It seems that with the two extra mat protections on the left and on the right sides,
you need to fold those mat protections, then fold the first hidden mat cover above the second mat cover location.
And then you can access the second storage?

I wonder if then lifting all the two large mat cover to access the second storage is not too difficult?

Cargo Floor - Rear Trunk only cover - Empty .jpg

Also, how does the two splits mat covers stay attaches to the back of the rear seat?
Is there any Velcro on the back of the mats to keep them vertical.

Cargo Floor - Full cargo empty  .jpg

Last edited:
1. There is no "second hidden storage" at the Y
2. The mat is simply and effectively held by Velcro to the floor as well as to the seat backs and the two side wells. No problems. There is no reason to remove it, yet if you really want to take it out, just pull.
3. The side wells are not covered and easy to access. The mat tongues on the side of the wells are good guards against the bike wheels as you slide it in.

Note: my car interior is white, and it stays white clean although I load my bike inside a couple of times a week.

I have a similar mat(looks identical) in my model y. Gives it a very luxury look in the back when I open it. I only have my emergency supplies and portable charger in my middle hidden storage. Items such as a car jack, plug kit, air compressor and portable charger. So it's not often I would ever need to open it.

However, if I do need to open it, everything is held in place with a few strips of velcro. It's easy enough to pull the rear up and fold the sides forward to access the middle trunk. I wouldn't use the middle access often, otherwise the velcro would wear out the carpet. So if you use your mobile charger alot, I would put it in the main under trunk storage.

This is the one I bought, made by topfit: Amazon.com

Yes Watts_Up- you are correct, thank you- following your eye opening advice, I've just discovered this un-documented secret compartment in the trunk of my Model Y (after 5 months of owning the car). Excellent storage for rarely used stuff, such as portable air pump, additional charger adaptor, collapsible safety cone, yellow safety vest and few tools (that I still carry in the car from my ICE'd days, to be on the safe side).
As I've said here before, the bike mat doesn't interfere in opening the trunk floor, you don't even need to remove it.
See pictures.
1700866060866.png

Ever tried stacking another bike on top? Any tips for that?
I'm more concerned about the two bikes hitting each other.

When doing a long trip, I put my two bicycles on top of each other,
in the trunk of my Model 3, including a folding two-bike rack (Quik Rack Mach2).
When I arrive a destination, then I install my bike rack and put the bikes on it.

I just remove the front wheel and wrap each bicycle using an old bed cover.
I would recommend installing folding bike pedals which help when sliding
the bikes inside the trunk, especially in the case of the Model 3 which is a sedan.

Reactions: biscottigelato