Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump proposes higher payments for coal, nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't a government mandate on pricing = subsidies?

I guess he doesn't see any irony on his stance?

Republican Congressman to Oil and Gas Industry: ‘No More Subsidies’

Quote:

During the Republican primary in 2012, Perry’s energy plan website stated: “As part of a broader tax reform strategy, I will also ask Congress to eliminate direct subsidies and tax credits that distort the energy marketplace. My plan levels the playing field.”

End quote.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Nope, not a subsidy (duh, those are for the other side). Perry is saying that coal isn't being priced adequately for all it does. A price adjustment is needed because of the un-priced positive externalities of coal. o_Oo_Oo_O

He mentions grid stability as the reason. As I understand it, the price of grid stability is already directly priced and included in the price of electricity (just like electricity has wholesale, transmission and distribution costs, it also has costs for uptime/downtime, frequency regulation, etc. All of those things have direct prices, and are included in the price of electricity).

(As a side note: for an administration that is often painted as being in chaos/disarray, everyone is remarkably and consistently on point for their propaganda. This is just the latest example of their style of propaganda. A nonsensical reversal of their opponents position. Namely, the problem isn't the negative externalities of coal, but that the positive ones aren't accounted for.)

“Bill Gates became the richest bloke on Earth off the end of the mainframe,” said Neil Eckert, chairman of Aggregated Micro Power Holdings Plc, an energy services company that installs small power plants. “We are seeing the end of the energy mainframe. The world will have to learn new techniques -- how to invest in small-scale distributed energy.”
From Bloomberg article moaning about utilities difficulty in dealing with renewables.
Power Worth Less Than Zero Spreads as Green Energy Floods the Grid

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and nwdiver
  • Helpful
Reactions: David99
Saw Rick Perry was yapping the other day on the DoE facebook page, the entire speech was him telling NIST or some other group of scientists about how worried he is that the grid's going to go down in winter after a coordinated attack. Funny that the head of the DoE doesn't even understand basic vulnerabilities of a centralized grid.

The largest regional electric grid operator in the nation sees “no imminent threat” to the reliability of its system, despite the closure of several coal and nuclear plants in the mid-Atlantic and Midwest regions.

PJM Interconnection LLC released a fuel security study Thursday that said there are “no issues” with powering the grid network, even as it loses more than 15,000 megawatts of generating capacity through mostly coal and nuclear plant retirements.

The study was prepared in response to a grid resilience proceeding launched by federal regulators in January. It throws cold water on the Trump administration’s efforts to justify a nationwide coal and nuclear plant bailout due to an impending threat.

<snip>
Full article at:
Grid operator study shows Trump bailout of coal and nuclear plants is unnecessary

“Bill Gates became the richest bloke on Earth off the end of the mainframe,” said Neil Eckert, chairman of Aggregated Micro Power Holdings Plc, an energy services company that installs small power plants. “We are seeing the end of the energy mainframe. The world will have to learn new techniques -- how to invest in small-scale distributed energy.”
From Bloomberg article moaning about utilities difficulty in dealing with renewables.
Power Worth Less Than Zero Spreads as Green Energy Floods the Grid

I sure wish the power companies would adjust their prices accordingly. I think that's where connected chargers and 'vehicle to grid' technology could help a lot. Tell me (my charger) when power is abundant and the car will start charging to use the surplus of energy (at a low price). My utility company has this old rigid system where off peak electricity is only cheaper at night. Obviously that's an old and outdated concept here in Southern California with such a high number of solar installations.