Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
As alluded to in other posts, I took a trip from San Diego to the North Rim of Grand Canyon in my AWD Performance+ last week/weekend. This is an 8000-foot ascent.

Setup:
Michelin CrossClimate+ on Dekagram 18x8.5 wheels. (Temperatures dropped into the 20's and upper teens on the North Rim, so these were required over the PS4S.)

Summary: It was a great trip, car did really well, Supercharging was really fast (used the 250kW Vegas Supercharger).

Detailed Summary:
Round trip: 1176 miles traveled, at average of 291Wh/mi on the trip meter. Total time spent driving was 18.5 hours, total time spent charging was 2 hours 39 minutes. (Moving average speed of 63.5mph.)

Charging efficiency was of course then 310Wh/mi (higher by ratio of 245/230). Including vampire at the destination, it was 321Wh/mi. These efficiencies do not include AC-DC conversion losses.

Comments:
1) Yermo is a great Supercharger. Rather bizarre store, but lots of room, candies, and stuffed animals, and nice bathrooms. Access is super fast.

2) Vegas 250kW LINQ Supercharger is inconveniently located. Lots of access overhead makes the 250kW rate nearly pointless (extra 11 minutes of overhead minimum to reach it for a 21 minute session). I don't know whether any of the other Vegas stations are more easily accessed.

3) St. George is a terribly located Supercharger. I recommend using Red Hills Parkway to access it; I did not do this however. I think it might be faster than sitting in traffic - it would definitely be less frustrating. However, I had a nice savory crepe from the crepe place. I had to wait there a long time to make sure I arrived at North Rim with a decent charge level (this was a strategic choice as I was not 100% sure of how well my destination charging would work - I could have saved 10-15 minutes here if I had known it was going to be ok).

4) I was able to set up charging at the North Rim due to my friend working for NPS. Normally, charging would be only at the North Rim general store (for $10/hr!!!). I did not investigate this option - instead I brought my 14-50 extension cord with a 14-30 adapter and plugged into a dryer outlet I had access to, and dialed down the amps to 23A. I do not know what a normal visitor would do. There is a distinct lack of charging options unless you want to somehow get an RV site somewhere (I do not know if they exist). A Supercharger is really required in Fredonia, and elsewhere in this clustering of National Parks in Southern Utah.

5) I lost 55 miles of range in 3.5 days due to Smart Summon Standby Mode (I employed all other vampire reduction techniques). Fortunately I had a good charging option and this f-up by Tesla only cost me 20 minutes of sleep.

6) The app is useless without connectivity. Neither the car nor my phone had LTE connectivity on the North Rim (this was not a surprise to me). This meant that I could not control the charge level except through the screen on the car. As is sometimes the case, I was not able to move the slider in the car to 100% (the most I could get was 98%). The car refused to charge further (it said 98%, 299 miles). Fortunately, I was still able to make Vegas from the North Rim in a single shot (it was close - fortunately I had a tailwind).

It is really stupid that they do not allow full functionality of the app with only Bluetooth connectivity when within range of the car. This should be possible...

7) With my CrossClimate+ and Dekagrams, the 20" Performance wheel configuration option gave me the best estimates for arrival % using the Trip Planner, at the speeds I was traveling. It's not clear to me whether this is a function of the poor aero of the wheels relative to the 20" wheels, or whether the CrossClimates have similar rolling resistance to the PS4S. I suspect the poor aero, as I have seen modest improvements in rolling resistance with the CrossClimates around town.

If I had figured this out sooner, I could have further optimized the return final charge in Yermo (as I arrived with 76 miles which was far too much and cost me probably 10 minutes of charging time). I was used to adding an extra 10% to make sure I could arrive easily at maximum speed, but on that last segment the estimates were finally valid - it predicted 25% arrival and that's what I arrived with.

8) Total cost was $0. I had no issues with crowded Superchargers, but was traveling on a Wednesday, and a Monday - it might not always be the case!

9) I think Tesla should add window washing stations at the Superchargers. I wasted 5 minutes cleaning my window after Supercharging while in Yermo.

10) NoA with ULC disabled was very bad at changing lanes as detailed elsewhere. I do not know why. It failed at least 100 times (at certain times it was at nearly every lane change). Just a single nag early in the trip for applying torque. I found that keeping a hand at 9 o'clock and another at 3 o'clock (with that elbow on the armrest to eliminate weight) worked really well for the entire trip. Overall AP was still pretty jittery but this was tolerable in the relatively light traffic. Only one instance of significant phantom braking under an overpass in Vegas that looked like a semi truck trailer. ;)

11) Unfortunately was not able to use the car to get to my final destination in Southwest Colorado (east of Dolores), due to a massive lack of Superchargers in that area. Another huge hole. (Would have had to go to Farmington or Blanding, and then the unknown (to me) vampire drain would have killed me and made return impossible.) Used a 4Runner instead.

Pictures (and yes, I know my right front door is all crooked...one of these days...)

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 2.43.43 PM.png

IMG_5937.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpg

Do you suppose those people made it all the way down from Alaska in that model A. Wow! Nice shot of old and new together. Anyway, nice report. Thanks for sharing. Love the North Rim.

They did indeed. I spoke at length with the gentleman who was the owner. Apparently they have been road tripping over the summer, and will leave the vehicle in Phoenix and fly back to Alaska, and then come back for it next year. He had a modified original engine putting out something like 70HP (original was 40HP), and had a secondary gearbox to double the number of gears for keeping it at optimum RPM (I guess the power band is narrow!). Does all his own work on it and has had it for 30 years or something. There were actually tons of these Model As (and Model Ts?) at the North Rim as I was leaving, but this was the only one at Point Imperial...there was some sort of gathering.

Reactions: Chisale and Bluebay
I prefer the towel and Windex method. You can do a more thorough windshield wipe, plus no dried squeegee lines left behind. Just soak the bugs well before you wipe!

Yes. I realize this is like a religious topic ;) , but I just use the spray to get rid of the lines afterwards.

Also, it is tough to soak things well in the desert. Have to be fast and use a lot of moisture it seems.

The reason I had so many bugs was that for a while there was a semi truck filled with bee hives in front of me heading southbound. While there was a mesh net over them...there seemed to be some issue. The bees were escaping in considerable numbers.

I first noticed at the southbound entrance to California (agricultural inspection station). I rolled down my window but then quickly rolled it up when I noticed tons of bees flying around aimlessly. I had no idea why they were there.

About 10 miles later, I caught up with the truck and all became clear. There was a lot of splatter taking place in those 10 miles. When I was briefly right behind the truck, the splatter was nearly continuous.

It was a little sad. I kind of like bees.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie and David29
I prefer the towel and Windex method. You can do a more thorough windshield wipe, plus no dried squeegee lines left behind. Just soak the bugs well before you wipe!

I always worry about the condition of gas station or other public (shared) squeegees. Many are badly worn and who knows what crap has accumulated in them that might scratch the glass. So unless desperate, I also bring my own spray cleaner and paper towels or cloths. Then again, I have not taken a trip in "bug country" for many years....

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Awesome write up, it’s funny because I’ve been thinking about this same trip with my SR+

Thanks

Fred

This would be tight. As you can see, I used 219 rated miles to get to the North Rim. Scaled to your SR+, that would be 230/209 *219 = 241 SR rated miles.

Of course, you could expect to get somewhat better efficiency than a P3D with non aero wheels - but at freeway speeds the difference would not be THAT large. You could compare your historical data - I was mostly traveling about 80-85mph on I-15 (very little on this leg) and closer to 70mph through the Arizona Strip to get the 340Wh/mi efficiency above (a lot of that is elevation remember - you would perhaps save a few miles there since your car is 400+ pounds lighter depending on passengers (it was just me)).

I think you’d make it in good weather without a headwind, but better make 100% sure of your charging options! I think there is a 14-50 on the reservation (halfway there). But who knows if it is wired correctly (PlugShare data suggests it is fine).

Last edited:
Do you suppose those people made it all the way down from Alaska in that model A. Wow! Nice shot of old and new together. Anyway, nice report. Thanks for sharing. Love the North Rim.
In his great trip summary, AlanSubie4Life AlanSubie4Life mentioned a charging stop at Yermo CA on I-40 (great place, I agree).
Well, just behind the new store and Supercharger, behind the rail tracks, is the location of Yermo itself (population 1700). And this is the type ICE cars the drive down there.

2019_5_yermo-ca-1-jpg.412220

3) St. George is a terribly located Supercharger. I recommend using Red Hills Parkway to access it; I did not do this however. I think it might be faster than sitting in traffic - it would definitely be less frustrating. However, I had a nice savory crepe from the crepe place. I had to wait there a long time to make sure I arrived at North Rim with a decent charge level (this was a strategic choice as I was not 100% sure of how well my destination charging would work - I could have saved 10-15 minutes here if I had known it was going to be ok).
I live here in Sunny St. George, and yeah... they really put the supercharger in a bad spot. Not even close to Interstate 15. Next time you find yourself here, just let me know.. I'll hook you up to my HPWC (no charge, of course) while we go grab lunch.

Sounds like a great trip!

In his great trip summary, AlanSubie4Life AlanSubie4Life mentioned a charging stop at Yermo CA on I-40 (great place, I agree).
Well, just behind the new store and Supercharger, behind the rail tracks, is the location of Yermo itself (population 1700). And this is the type ICE cars the drive down there.

2019_5_yermo-ca-1-jpg.412220
Sorry, I meant Yermo is located on I-15 just East of Barstow (and not on I-40)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I am planning on swapping my PS4s for the Crossclimate+ for the winter myself. Do you think you can elaborate on the driving dynamics of them, AlanSubie4Life? How much does acceleration and turning suffer when switching from the PS4? I've heard they are significantly louder, true? Any thoughts good or bad about them? Thanks!