Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transplanting the key card RFID to my phone Case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to leave the house with only my phone and my driver's license sandwiched behind my phone in its case--no keys, no wallet. There's no room for a second card there (the Tesla key card) and I'm a minimalist--so if I can leave the house with only having my phone, and having the backup key card in case my phone doesn't work--life is good.

Here's how I added the key card backup solution to my iPhone case with plenty of room for my driver's license:

How-To Add a Tesla RFID Key to Your Smartphone Case

Would love to hear your thoughts!

I wanted to leave the house with only my phone and my driver's license sandwiched behind my phone in its case--no keys, no wallet. There's no room for a second card there (the Tesla key card) and I'm a minimalist--so if I can leave the house with only having my phone, and having the backup key card in case my phone doesn't work--life is good.

Here's how I added the key card backup solution to my iPhone case with plenty of room for my driver's license:

OK....but what if you lose your cell phone? Years ago somebody used to make a small metal box with a magnet on it. The idea was to put your keys (or in our case, our key card) in the box, then attach it to some steel part on the underside of the car. My brother has one and swears by it. He's never needed to use it but after 4 cars and god knows how many miles, the box is still there.

Does Apple NFC not work the same as Android.

The android app used to make to swipe between cars for the Bluetooth to work, so I always used the NFC (hold the phone up to the B piller) and that would always work even if the app was set to the other car.

Does Apple NFC not work the same as Android.

The android app used to make to swipe between cars for the Bluetooth to work, so I always used the NFC (hold the phone up to the B piller) and that would always work even if the app was set to the other car.

As far as I'm aware only Android supports functioning like a key card (holding up to B pillar to unlock)
and quite a few people don't know Android can do this

As far as I'm aware only Android supports functioning like a key card (holding up to B pillar to unlock)

Yes, I didn't know either and was "suffering" from swiping left and right ... It wasn't until recently (this year) someone else mentioned that the phone acts as a key card as well.

Reactions: Ecoli

Thanks, I may consider doing it, since I have an extra keycard. I too don't like to carry anything besides my phone, so, I've got a keyless front door, to get rid of my keys. And, I got a Vena phone case which holds 3 or 4 cards on the back of the phone, ID, backup credit card, backup Tesla keycard. Like you, I use ApplePay whenever possible.

However, I do like my custom photo Shutterfly case, and the Vena case is bulky... so what to do? Now that vax cards are a thing, I wear a lanyard which fits my vax card, and I put my ID and backup credit card and backup Tesla keycard in there.

Reactions: chrisduke
Tidy idea but as the phone and keycard do the same thing I don't see the point of putting them together (OK I get that a phone battery may die but in all my time with my Tesla it has never happened to me). Seems like the risk of losing both is great!

I have placed one of my key cards between my phone and its case for the last year or so. The problem is that despite the case being plastic, the key card cannot be read by either the B pillar sensor or the one in front of the armrest, while the phone is encased. My assumption is that the metal of the phone, or the electronics (Bluetooth?), is somehow interfering with the readers. I've taken the phone out of the case and with the case between the card and the reader, it works so I know it's the phone that's the issue.

Yeah, I tried it out because I was already using NFC for other cards. But I bet most people don't know this option even exists, especially if they never use NFC on their phones in the first place.

Reactions: Ecoli and dduffey
OK....but what if you lose your cell phone? Years ago somebody used to make a small metal box with a magnet on it. The idea was to put your keys (or in our case, our key card) in the box, then attach it to some steel part on the underside of the car. My brother has one and swears by it. He's never needed to use it but after 4 cars and god knows how many miles, the box is still there.
I did that with our old cars and it saved my bacon at least 4-5 times. Twice my wife called and I explained where to find the key.

I didn't use the Hide-a-Key, just wired a spare somewhere.

You can do the same thing with a Tesla, but I'll say no more.