Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I bought my S (third party), I used the Autotrader app, Instant Cash Offer. The offer came back right away, and was very competitive - well above the CarMax offer I had. I had a 2013 Dodge Ram and Autotrader gave me 30K for it, with hail damage and a few scratches. Couldn't have been happier, the process was relatively painless.

Before I bought my S (third party), I used the Autotrader app, Instant Cash Offer. The offer came back right away, and was very competitive - well above the CarMax offer I had. I had a 2013 Dodge Ram and Autotrader gave me 30K for it, with hail damage and a few scratches. Couldn't have been happier, the process was relatively painless.

I'll give this a shot, thanks for the idea.

Tesla's initial offer for my car was 50% less than a later CarMax offer which they agreed to match. I change my mind and decided to keep my ICE and sell it later but that experience made it clear that Tesla prefers not to handle trade-ins and deliberately low balls trade values to discourage them.

I just had Tesla quote me on a trade-in for my 2015 Porsche with 4K miles. The window sticker was $94000 and their offer was just $63000. I knew That I would take a hit on a trade but a $30K hit is just crazy. I'll try private party sale so that I can order my Tesla in the near future.

This isn't meant to slam Tesla in any way , just adding a data point for those considering a trade-in.

Last edited:
My experience was pretty good. Traded in my 911, and price matched the blue book value for private transaction. The only complaint I have is that the company they contract calls you to schedule a time to come out -- I would have much preferred to do that by e-mail or by web.

My experience was pretty good. Traded in my 911, and price matched the blue book value for private transaction. The only complaint I have is that the company they contract calls you to schedule a time to come out -- I would have much preferred to do that by e-mail or by web.

My main problem is that my 2015 Porsche isn't even listed on KBB, NADA , or Autotrader to get a blue book value. I know a price that I would sell the car for but hoping to find a listed value.

I traded in my brz because it was easy and I nearly got back what I owed minus a couple grand. My order to delivery took 2 months so I was a little stuck since had I sold it private party I may have had it leave before I was close to delivery then what I rent a car until my car was ready making it a wash of trade in vs private party price. Also trading in I got a tax credit towards the new car. Take the tax savings plus their offer and for me it wasn't bad. Had my car been a shorter build I may have done things differently but for me it worked out decently.

Been very happy with Carmax. Same experience as Kandiru. Spot on with KBB prices. I don't bother with trade in at the dealers anymore. I had a BMW that AutoNation valued at 5k, and Carmax gave me 11k. From what I've read on other posts, Tesla uses AutoNation. So didn't bother with offering a trade in when I bought my wife's Tesla. Just turned around and sold her old car to Carmax and got the price we wanted and expected.

they're offering me 9k for my 2003 e46 m3 convertible and average is 10,500 for my car. After I reluctantly agreed at 9k I put a deposit down on a cpo, then I'm informed they're now going to setup an inspection. I've never traded over the phone, but the fact that he took my deposit then informed me of the inspection was wrong. I sent 20 extremely high res photos of my car and I was told they're perfect. I was not happy and ripped into the sales guy but later I apologized for my anger. but I told him $8999.99 will not get my car and the deal will fall apart. I will find out on Monday about the results. the inspector said I wrote generic notes that would write about any car that had 0 issues.

we will see...

Their offer was comparably high. Did you get a CarMax estimate?

Tesla initially offered >60% less than average and almost 50% less than CarMax for my trade prior to inspection. Even though they agreed to match CarMax, I decided to hang on to it instead.

It depends on what you're trading in though.

KBB puts a 2004 Honda Civic DX at $980 trade-in but a 2004 Lexus LX470 at over $12k.

How true, how true. An 11 year old car may be worth more as a parted out group of parts if there is demand for them.
A few years back I purchased a wrecked Honda NSX for $8K and $28K later all that was left was the frame which I scrapped.
Those parts are now spread all over the world.

well my rep from NJ got back to me on my e46 M3 Convertible. he said your bumper was repaired and the best we can offer is $7500 (original was $9k and knew about the refresh on the bumper). I declined it and explained I may have to look at other cars then. the m3 is 11k on nada and over 12 on kbb. it got silent and felt he was getting nervous because i'm really no picnic to negotiate with on the phone because I'm stern. he called back and was told we can give you $500 more out of my managers pocket and I said no. finally he got to $8750 because he cut the delivery charge in half.

8750 for my car is a steal and they will make a killing on it (not tesla the company that will get the car). here are photos of the car and you tell me if I'm crazy.

OneDrive!

Interesting--Tesla store in JAX quoted $52k trade in for a 2011 911s Cabriolet with 22k miles & made no effort whatsoever to do better. The print out on the quote had the right VIN but listed it as a coupe, non S, etc. My experience was they just are not very interested in doing a package deal--here's the price, take it or leave it. My local Porsche dealer offered $55K+ OVER THE PHONE without even seeing the car.

Dang. Clean the carpets and sell it yourself. They will most likely list it for $13K or more.

to be honest I don't care what they get. I wanted 9k at the lowest and met the number (very close). that 8750 = almost 9.5k with tax savings. I don't want to sell my car and have some nut constantly bothering me and possibly going postal on me. it's worth the small loss to keep family safe.