Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My soon to be trade-in Model X got rear ended. I‘ve ordered the new Model S and waiting on delivery. My MX will be in the shop for potentially few weeks. Am I right to assume the value Tesla offered me and I accepted prior to the accident is voided? Should I cancel my order?

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 121
If you haven't yet reported the accident to your insurance company, one option is to pay for the repairs out of pocket. That will keep your CarFax clear of accidents and potentially preserve your trade in quote from Tesla. Judging from the photo the repairs do appear to be quite extensive and pricey. Since your MX is already in the shop, it's most likely under a collision claim and already reported to the DMV.

Better yet, another option is to reject the trade-in on your order and still accept delivery of your new Model S. I'm sure it's a great deal with the 3 year unlimited SC miles along with recent discounts. Get the repairs done and sell your MX privately. That is the route that I would pursue. Good luck, sorry for your untimely incident.

You should notify the insurance company handling the claim that you have a trade in offer for the damaged car from Tesla, and have a new car on order. The offer from Tesla should be proof of the value of the car. If the accident was not your fault, the insurance should make you whole, as if the accident never happened. That would be to give you the value of the car that you can prove before the accident, and allowing you to either trade in the car at that value or give you full compensation for your loss.