Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to really bring it home, Summer Tires should never be used below 45 degrees, and even All-Season Tires don't perform as well as Winter Tires when the temperature drops below 45 degrees; whether there is snow or not. It has to due with the chemical compound used in the rubber to maintain pliability. Secondly, the tread cut does make a difference on cold roads, even when dry.

That said, I also have a Tahoe SLT. With new M+S tires and 4x4, I never found any condition I didn't feel confident navigating. However, I had a set of worn-out all-season tires on it one Fall when we got hit by a surprise cold/snow spell. Even with it locked in 4-Low, I couldn't make it up my mildly sloped driveway. Point being, no matter how well equipped the vehicle is for the elements, if you can not maintain adhesion between the tires and the ground, you won't be going anywhere fast.

On my Tesla, I swap between my 21" Grey Turbine / Michelin PSS and my 19" TST Metallic Grey Turbine / Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3....