Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DWS06+ or PS4AS or FK460

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

canasion35

Feb 8, 2021
FL
Listings
Hey guys - looking to see if anyone has first hand experience on any of these tires in the snow. We’re planning a roadtrip from FL to UT in early December and anticipating a decent amount of snow that we may have to get through.

Anyone from that UT area that could opine on snow amounts around this time of year and if these AS tires can handle it? We’ll be staying up in a cabin in Sundance early December to mid December and driving back to FL.

I’m mainly looking for: (In this order)

1) Great winter performance (snow, slush, maybe ice?) for the big roadtrip.

2) Quietness (PS4S’ got super loud approaching 20k miles)

3) Treadlife

Love the looks of the FK460 and heard they are quiet but I heard the snow performance is untested/average…thoughts? Installed out the door at $1,175.

DWS06 + is the best in snow and ice, quietest, not the best looking tire but overall the best mix for what I’m after. Are they that much better in the snow and the quietest of the group? I can get these for $1,275 out the door at discount.

PSAS4 - loudest of the group, stiffer sidewalls, but has the best dry grip and most “performance” oriented. These rival the DWS06+ in the snow (I’ve heard?) which is better in those winter conditions between the two? I can get these installed out the door for $1,290 at Costco.

Price is not a factor - as long as we have the best snow and ice traction in the AS category while being the quietest tire.

Looking for first hand experiences from our forum members on these tires in the snow and from a quietness view.

Last edited:
Don’t know about those tires but P-Zero Elec worked well last month leaving Yosemite.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 7
you want a 265 width tire that is good in snow? :eek:

I have run DWS06+ and PSAS4 on this car, in multiple widths. I absolutely love the PSAS4 for all season use, mainly because i have a set of dedicated snow tires. I have a set of 235/45-18 currently that i use in the winter months, but swap to the Nokians on serious snow/ice days.

Although I love the DWS06 on all my other cars, with the update to the + compound, the DWS06+ was super mushy feeling on the Model 3. In theory, it would be better in snow conditions, but i hated the feel of it so much i removed the tire after 3 days. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: canasion35
you want a 265 width tire that is good in snow? :eek:

I have run DWS06+ and PSAS4 on this car, in multiple widths. I absolutely love the PSAS4 for all season use, mainly because i have a set of dedicated snow tires. I have a set of 235/45-18 currently that i use in the winter months, but swap to the Nokians on serious snow/ice days.

Although I love the DWS06 on all my other cars, with the update to the + compound, the DWS06+ was super mushy feeling on the Model 3. In theory, it would be better in snow conditions, but i hated the feel of it so much i removed the tire after 3 days. YMMV.
Oh wow that is great feedback, thank you! How is the tire noise on the PSAS4 as it wears? I’m on the fence between the DWS06+ and the PSAS4’s but the main thing for me would be tire noise as they wear!

Oh wow that is great feedback, thank you! How is the tire noise on the PSAS4 as it wears? I’m on the fence between the DWS06+ and the PSAS4’s but the main thing for me would be tire noise as they wear!
Erm... compared to my RE71RS, the PSAS4 make no noise at all. If they do make noise, it is imperceptible to me with the radio at even a low volume. Heck, my shocks make more noise then the PSAS4...

IMHO, the PSAS4 is a much better performing tire on the porky Tesla compared to the DWS06+ in all facets of driving. To recap, you want a wide tire that is good in snow and quiet? You may be asking for something that is just not possible. It is hard to make a recommendation with all that criteria.

if you want a quiet tire, get the Hankook Ions. (won't be a great performance tire, but they are quiet and are "ok" in inclement weather, and they are not made in a 265 width)

if you want a good tire in the snow/ice, it will be louder on dry pavement. if price is not a factor, get a separate 18x8 wheels with Hankook 235/45-18's and you will be good to go.

• Informative
I have loved my DWS06+ on my MYLR. Very good in snow, amazing in rain, and fairly quiet. My only comparison is the stock ProContacts and the DWS are better in every way. TBD on tread life but I’ve got 15k miles on them and they’re maybe at 6 or 7/32.

Due to an encounter with a pothole, I ran 4 new 245/35-20 DWS06+ on my M3P for about 900 miles on stock Uberturbines. Compared with the stock Pirelli's they were noisier and did not ride as well (they were stiffer and seemed to be just generally harsher riding). I ended up going with a different set of wheels (Konig Ampliform 18x8.5) and a new set of Hankook iON evo AS 235/45-18's.

So now I have a smooth and quiet ride and don't have to worry as much about pothole encounters. I can't comment on how the DSW06+ performs in snow but they were a good bit noisier than then stock M3P Pirelli's.

I did gain about 12% in efficiency over the 20"/Uberturbine combo by going with the 18"s and Hankook iON evo AS.