Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction control devices for snow (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be doing some snow trip to Mammoth and Lake Tahoe this winter with our MYP (19" Gemini, stock Continental tires) and were wondering if we need some sort of traction device (like the Auto Sock) if conditions are really terrible for driving. The MYP is already dual motor/AWD with all season tires so it will be able to handle Requirement 2: (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

But say if it becomes really bad (chains/tractions required on all vehicles), should we have the Auto Sock just in case?

I don't know squat about traction control devices, so I cannot help you there. I also don't know if the law requires chains to be on board even though the conditions are R1 or R2.

If conditions require the dreaded R3 level (chains on ALL vehicles) then you will obviously need to chain up. But generally CalTrans/CHP close the highway before that particular event.

So to put things into perspective... I'm not sure about California, but I know for Oregon/Washington, the AutoSock does count as a traction device, when traction devices are required... With that being said, I drove to the mountains when DOT specified that traction devices must be installed on all vehicles, except AWD/4WD. I was running Conti DWS-06 tires (which are near in snow performance to the Pilot Sport AS4 on the MYP), and didn't have any issues getting to the ski resort. I did have to pull over part way there, and I lent my chains to our friends behind us, in a Ford Explorer, becuase they got stuck and couldn't move. They were in a rental, so it was wearing whatever OEM A/S tires it came with. So if you are running Gemini with the OEM conti tires, I suspect the traction will be pretty terrible if you go to mammoth and conditions require traction devices. I just checked tirerack. The stock Conti ProContact on the gemini are quite terrible in the snow compared to other tires in that category.

But yes, I would carry something just in case, as at the inspection point (in oregon anyways), they asked if I was carrying traction devices, but said I didn't need to install it, because I was AWD, unless I needed it.

Last edited:
So to put things into perspective... I'm not sure about California, but I know for Oregon/Washington, the AutoSock does count as a traction device, when traction devices are required... With that being said, I drove to the mountains when DOT specified that traction devices must be installed on all vehicles, except AWD/4WD. I was running Conti DWS-06 tires (which are near in snow performance to the Pilot Sport AS4 on the MYP), and didn't have any issues getting to the ski resort. I did have to pull over part way there, and I lent my chains to our friends behind us, in a Ford Explorer, becuase they got stuck and couldn't move. They were in a rental, so it was wearing whatever OEM A/S tires it came with. So if you are running Gemini with the OEM conti tires, I suspect the traction will be pretty terrible if you go to mammoth and conditions require traction devices. I just checked tirerack. The stock Conti ProContact on the gemini are quite terrible in the snow compared to other tires in that category.

But yes, I would carry something just in case, as at the inspection point (in oregon anyways), they asked if I was carrying traction devices, but said I didn't need to install it, because I was AWD, unless I needed it.
Are you sure?
https://autosock.us/washington/

I got it the autosock as well because they kept saying it's approved for all travel

Glad you asked as I am in a similar situation. We live in San Diego, but hit the slopes a few times a year here or in Utah, so snow tires aren’t really practical. We just got our MYLR with the stock 19” tires, so not really interested I changing them yet. I figure that even if I get better A/S tires next time around, I’ll still have to have chains even if I don’t have to put them on so I’ll just get a pair now and be more likely to use them since the stock tires aren’t great in the snow. The sock is new to me so interested in hearing more about that.

Glad you asked as I am in a similar situation. We live in San Diego, but hit the slopes a few times a year here or in Utah, so snow tires aren’t really practical. We just got our MYLR with the stock 19” tires, so not really interested I changing them yet. I figure that even if I get better A/S tires next time around, I’ll still have to have chains even if I don’t have to put them on so I’ll just get a pair now and be more likely to use them since the stock tires aren’t great in the snow. The sock is new to me so interested in hearing more about that.

I started out with the AS4 from my 21" Uberturbines but had swapped them for the 19" Gemini with stock Continental tires for better ride quality...only got 8k miles on them so not interesting in switching out to another all season until it's worn out. Will probably grab some Auto Socks for traction device (less cumbersome than chains) for just in case situations since I'll have a baby onboard.

We will be doing some snow trip to Mammoth and Lake Tahoe this winter with our MYP (19" Gemini, stock Continental tires) and were wondering if we need some sort of traction device (like the Auto Sock) if conditions are really terrible for driving. The MYP is already dual motor/AWD with all season tires so it will be able to handle Requirement 2: (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

But say if it becomes really bad (chains/tractions required on all vehicles), should we have the Auto Sock just in case?
I’m not sure if you meet the R2 requirement. All season tires are not the same as snow tires. I was under the impression that you would need to have AWD and snow tires to not be required to chain up.

All season tires with AWD will get you through R2. If it's R3 (rare) you don't really want to be on the road.
You'll be fine just as you are. You don't want anything else attached to the tires... chains, etc. just make problems.
(I've lived and driven through 45 Tahoe winters. AWD with good tire tread is all you ever need.)

1) You must have chains or other approved traction devices in your possession in California when you enter a chain control area, even if you don’t need to use them.

2) Any all-season tire with the “M+S” (mud and snow) stamp on the sidewall counts as a “snow tire” for the purpose of chain controls. Pretty much every all-season tire meets this requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: avs007
I live at Lake Tahoe for more than 10 years. I've never seen R3 in person, just twice on the online map between Tahoe City and Truckee. If it's R3, they almost always close the road.
You should be O.K. with all season tires with 6/32" (5 mm) tread depth on chain controls. I still would not drive without real winter tires in snow blizzards or really icy conditions. Note that you still have to carry chains by law. I would carry them even I've been never asked/checked for them on chain controls.

Reactions: ucmndd
I live at Lake Tahoe for more than 10 years. I've never seen R3 in person, just twice on the online map between Tahoe City and Truckee. If it's R3, they almost always close the road.
You should be O.K. with all season tires with 6/32" (5 mm) tread depth on chain controls. I still would not drive without real winter tires in snow blizzards or really icy conditions. Note that you still have to carry chains by law. I would carry them even I've been never asked/checked for them on chain controls.

It’s been… decades? since I’ve seen R3 controls in NorCal. Agree they don’t really exist any more. They just close the road.

Still see them occasionally down south on the roads in and out of Big Bear - but even that is becoming very rare.

Reactions: ClaytonW
1) You must have chains or other approved traction devices in your possession in California when you enter a chain control area, even if you don’t need to use them.

2) Any all-season tire with the “M+S” (mud and snow) stamp on the sidewall counts as a “snow tire” for the purpose of chain controls. Pretty much every all-season tire meets this requirement.
They never check for chains.
They never read the sidewall.
They do check tread depth. (I had a friend with M&S tires. Low tread. They sent him back.)

Reactions: ClaytonW
They never check for chains.
They never read the sidewall.

Cool story. I know. I’m explaining the law to people, and I’ve watched enough clueless LA and Bay Area muppets get themselves in way over their heads to think it’s relevant.

That said, it’s an expensive ticket if you get stuck or slide off the road somewhere and don’t have chains with you. Ask me how I know. ;)

Chains for Tesla can be very pricey. Also, you have to be careful they clear the fender and won't wrap around the axel and do major damage (reports on this). I bought some off Ebay for very cheap. Used them a couple times. No problems. Not enjoyable to install, but at least carry in the Y if needed.