Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my beast, two days early! Guess the truck showed up this morning, and my wonderful DS (Great job, Tim!) in Chicago got it detailed and out to me late tonight.
Congratulations Dbitter1! Tim in Chicago is my DS, too. This makes me very excited as my car was supposed to be on the rail transport arriving into Chicago on 12/24, so hoping this is the same transport that your car arrived on and that it is there two days early. Guess it doesn't matter since my delivery date isn't until 12/30 when I return to the Midwest, but even so, it will make me happy to know it has potentially already arrived.

Tampa has called me to confirm our delivery on the 27th. We're flying in to Tampa (not trading in a car), staying overnight in a hotel and Tesla is sending a "town car" to pick us up for the delivery. Although others have had their share of missed expectations, we confirmed our order on 12/5, and will be driving our specially ordered supercar home 3 weeks after ordering. That is truly astonishing. No, we're not famous, or connected to Tesla. And, we're not previous Tesla owners. Silver spoon? Perhaps...Well done TM!

Supposedly picking up mine in Tampa on the 27th also. Must be on the same truck. Of course, mine was ordered on 10/10, so you clearly are more on the A-list than I am.

Regarding my quote about overcoming weight is as important as aerodynamics. Adding a heavy passenger(s) versus adding a heavy front motor both can affect range. The front-motor is a permanent passenger.

That's not correct.
Energy Losses in a Vehicle

Aerodynamic Drag - 2.6 percent

A vehicle must expend energy to move air out of the way as it goes down the road—less energy at lower speeds and progressively more as speed increases. Drag is directly related to the vehicle's shape. Smoother vehicle shapes have already reduced drag significantly, but further reductions of 20-30 percent are possible.

Rolling Resistance - 4.2 percent

Rolling resistance is a measure of the force necessary to move the tire forward and is directly proportional to the weight of the load supported by the tire. A variety of new technologies can be used to reduce rolling resistance, including improved tire tread and shoulder designs and materials used in the tire belt and traction surfaces.
For passenger cars, a 5-7 percent reduction in rolling resistance increases fuel efficiency by 1 percent. However, these improvements must be balanced against traction, durabillity, and noise.

Too many congratulations to hand out individually. So, congrats to those taking delivery today, and over the next few days! You won't be disappointed; as long as we can figure out this possible range issue. I'll know more Thurs/Friday.

Picked up my P85D today at the factory at 9am... Thought I would post some first impressions...
I traded in a S85 2013 (See signature for old and new VIN)...
Both cars had/have 21" wheels

1. The most important thing, I tried a 0-60 Launch in insane mode on the road right in front of the factory, long stretch of straight quiet road... all I can say is OM$#$!%G
I have to say I have never experienced anything like that, anyone who has doubts about this car, forget them, it is worth it just for that!

2. I got the Next Gen Seats in front only. I think they are more comfortable and supportive than the original seats I had (I did not have the performance seats, jus the nappa Leather ones in the old car. They support your leg by your knees better, seem deeper and also seem to have more adjustability. I didn't notice the headrests while I was driving, so they are not so much different that they struck me as noticeable, I will have to make sure I double check them, There is a Due Bill for the rear update to the Next Gen, they didn't say when they would be coming, not worried about it.

3. Overall the car feels tighter, more well built and well put together. Feels a quieter with road noise, but I only drove a small distance back to work from factory so I still need more sampling to know for sure.

4. Handling. I only drove on freeway so didn't have a chance to push it, I will do that tonight on my uphill back winding road on the way home. From what I can tell in the short amount of miles I drove (10), it seems tighter and less body roll. I did not see any major difference in the steering that was jumping out at me compared to the sport mode in the S85. But again, I will see about that on the longer winding road.

5. I didn't have the Air suspension in the old car, so that is new for me, I like it, testing out setting different places to raise, like the parking lot at work, we'll see how well it remembers in future days.

6. Auto Pilot/Driver Assist:
Speed Limit Warning/Sign Reading I like the speed limit sign reading, seems to work well. I don't know if it read the sign or knew from GPS, but it did pop up when I went over the limit, the grey line on the meter and the speed limit sign in the middle under the speed read-out, that makes it nice to see where you are compared to the speed limit, I saw some posters say it didn't show up. It does seem to go away at some point, not sure if it is timed or goes away after you slow below the limit, will have to check. I set mine to +10 over limit just to test.

Lane Departure: It works, but the feel in the wheel is very low, and it does sort of sound like the vibration in a smart phone. On the freeway, if you are rolling over those round bumps in the lane, you almost can't feel it because of the noise and bumps themselves, but it is there. On a smooth road I did feel it and hear it, but it is very soft feel.

That's all that works for right now, I sort of had a confirmation from the person who did the minimal walk through with me that they are planning an update soon, but not sure if he really knew for sure or was just agreeing with me when I asked.

7. Frunk. Much smaller as we know, the latch does not have the manual catch with the little button to open unlatch it. Also I think the internal manual release isn't there, as I couldn't find it, I will have to check again. But that manual catch on the frunk was used in case it was opened manually. Didn't seem to feel an "electric" lock on the frunk as some have posted, I will have to double check that.

8. Rear hatch. Does seem smoother and quieter then the old car when closing.

9. I did not order the upgraded interior package, but I DID get the Carbon Fiber Yacht floor (matches the CF decor), so maybe they are including it now, as I know for sure I didn't order it. I like it a bit more then the carpet, gives is a nicer look and feel then just carpet.

10. Yes there is a Tesla logo on the read cover for the rear foot well, looks nice.

11. The sun visors don't seem that much bigger to me, maybe a little but to me, not significantly bigger (Will have to test when facing the sun, maybe it is noticeable them, but just looking at them, they didn't seem that much different, although they do seem a little bigger.

12. Range and power use. I definitely used a lot more power then average on my short trip back, but I did an insane launch (oh did I say OMG!)

The lifetime Average Energy for the old car was 352 Wh/mi (I a daily trip of down and then up hill and the up-hill kills the average)

The car was not delivered with a full charge, so I will have to wait until I charge to 90% tonight to see what the Rated Range is with that charge.

I will try to post some pics, the few I have from delivery are not that great but I have a couple I can post. IF I missed anything, feel free to ask.

I know you will enjoy the car and there will be no regrets!

Regarding my quote about overcoming weight is as important as aerodynamics. Adding a heavy passenger(s) versus adding a heavy front motor both can affect range. The front-motor is a permanent passenger.

Energy Losses in a Vehicle

Aerodynamic Drag - 2.6 percent

A vehicle must expend energy to move air out of the way as it goes down the road—less energy at lower speeds and progressively more as speed increases. Drag is directly related to the vehicle's shape. Smoother vehicle shapes have already reduced drag significantly, but further reductions of 20-30 percent are possible.

Rolling Resistance - 4.2 percent

Rolling resistance is a measure of the force necessary to move the tire forward and is directly proportional to the weight of the load supported by the tire. A variety of new technologies can be used to reduce rolling resistance, including improved tire tread and shoulder designs and materials used in the tire belt and traction surfaces.
For passenger cars, a 5-7 percent reduction in rolling resistance increases fuel efficiency by 1 percent. However, these improvements must be balanced against traction, durabillity, and noise.

At highway speeds this is just wrong. Based on the source, I'm guessing they went with average speed in LA basin on the freeways - 20 mph. Yes, at that speed, rolling resistance will dominate. But on a roadtrip, it is all about the aero. Even with the Model S's weight and big tires and really good aerodynamics, aero still dominates at freeway speeds.

Spoke to the Toronto store about my delivery- apparently they have about 70 cars they were expecting over the next few days. Apparently a large chunk of them are in Detroit, and they cannot arrange transportation because of a large incoming storm and apparently no one wants to agree to transport them given the incoming weather. He said they had been expecting to deliver a large number of cars in the next few days, but will *not* be able to deliver most of them in that time period, mine included. He said a few are trickling in, and they are burning up the phone lines to try to get trucks to deliver the rest - but it sounded pretty dismally difficult.

In my case, they can't tell me where my car is, or even if it has left the factory. They are being told in small batches where cars are, but none of the information my delivery centre has includes my car. They were hoping to hear more later. I had a delivery date of the 27th, but that seems very unlikely.

I find it mind boggling that this is how deliveries are handled. It's really frustrating to be the customer in this delivery black hole - if I knew what was going on it would be easier to accept the delays. My car may still even be at the factory at this point - or it may be stuck in Detroit.

Shucks.