Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard this guy is a friend of Elon and thats how he got it.I heard that on factory tour monday.
Nope!

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's the standard corporate jacket. I have one that my girlfriend bought me for my birthday. My girlfriend has one that Tesla gave her when we ordered the 85D. The stitching for the TESLA logo on the back is just straight through the jacket. Could be very easy to take it to an embroidery place and have the P85D added.
Yup!

MarcG - congrats! Can you take a pic of the new vanity mirrors and chargeport door mechanism? Also, curious, what software is it running? If you press the Tesla icon at the top of the screen, it should say at the bottom the software version.

Will do, give me an hour or so.

Yes, the rear seats still fold flat even with the taller headrests.

Yes indeed:

IMG_5123.jpg

MarkG, I'm pretty sure you live in the same neighborhood as my sister-in-law. The car looks absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but does not make sense I have been "in production" since 11/25 and ordered the Nappa seats, not Next Gen seats. Seems to me they are reworking defects in the first batch and it is taking longer than anyone (including Tesla) ever expected.

I think it is pretty clear that the first few cars to go through the line had problems above and beyond the seat issue and that they are having to manually correct them. I think that is the only reasonable explanation for the long delays for the original cars to get out of production while new cars are sailing through the process. It would be nice to get some clarity on that and to have a better idea of what the timeline is to get things checked out, but I figure it is just part of the potential pain of being an early adopter. I do agree that if we can't get the cars delivered in 2014, it might make a lot more sense to cancel and re-order to get a 2015 VIN and potential upgrades like the heated wheels.

I'm probably going to have to stop looking at this thread/forum for a while now that there are details from a delivery. I'm actually getting a bit angry about it and I really don't want to be angry over this. My car being in production on the first day, still not being done, still no ETA, yet at least one someone who ordered two weeks after me, as well as went into production after me, already has their car? Seriously, WTF Tesla. heh. Too frustrating.

No offense MarcG! I really am glad you have your car! It just makes no sense to me that you have yours in hand before I even have an ETA on mine when I (and others) ordered weeks before you... this is Tesla's fault, not yours, and it really isn't excusable.

Add to that, I was going over some financials and I'll almost definitely have to cancel if it turns out that I can't get the car in 2014. It will come out to nearly $19,000 additional costs if I don't get it in 2014, and this purchase is already more than I wanted to spend short-term on random not-really-needed items. Adding another $19,000 to the price on top of taking an additional financial hit on the trade for the extra miles I'm putting on my P85 while I wait is just not going to be worth it to me. Pretty frustrating that there are cars being delivered, yet I can't even get an ETA on mine that went into production on day 1, three weeks ago.

(Financial details: So, it's either take delivery this year and pay $133,470 minus $7500 credit + 0% sales tax for a net of $125,970; or take delivery in January or later, pay $133470, pay 7.5% sales tax of $10,010.25, plus a $1,388.09 vehicle property tax for 2015 for a total of $144,868.34; net difference of $18,898.34 additional cost. Can't get the federal tax credit next year; moving out of NJ so I'll lose the NJ sales tax exemption sometime in January. The 2015 vehicle tax I'll have to pay anyway, but it will be prorated and payable at the end of the year otherwise)

I've sent over the details of my 12/31 deadline to my DS, including my intent to cancel if I can't take delivery by then... not that I think it will matter.

Edit: Looks like the Tesla isn't even on the NJ list of cars that qualify for the sales tax exemption anyway?! (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/Treasury2015ModelYearZEVlisting.pdf)

Last edited:
No offense MarcG! I really am glad you have your car! It just makes no sense to me that you have yours in hand before I even have an ETA on mine when I (and others) ordered weeks before you... this is Tesla's fault, not yours, and it really isn't excusable.

I know the lack of communication is frustrating. Been there done that got the merit badge (as the saying goes). But you surely know that Tesla was probably going to deliver to someone in California before you regardless right?

I hope you get some good news next week that lowers your level of frustration.

I'm probably going to have to stop looking at this thread/forum for a while now that there are details from a delivery. I'm actually getting a bit angry about it and I really don't want to be angry over this. My car being in production on the first day, still not being done, still no ETA, yet at least one someone who ordered two weeks after me, as well as went into production after me, already has their car? Seriously, WTF Tesla. heh. Too frustrating.

Add to that, I was going over some financials and I'll almost definitely have to cancel if it turns out that I can't get the car in 2014. It will come out to nearly $19,000 additional costs if I don't get it in 2014, and this purchase is already more than I wanted to spend short-term on random not-really-needed items. Adding another $19,000 to the price on top of taking an additional financial hit on the trade for the extra miles I'm putting on my P85 while I wait is just not going to be worth it to me. Pretty frustrating that there are cars being delivered, yet I can't even get an ETA on mine that went into production on day 1, three weeks ago.

(Financial details: So, it's either take delivery this year and pay $133,470 minus $7500 credit + 0% sales tax for a net of $125,970; or take delivery in January or later, pay $133470, pay 7.5% sales tax of $10,010.25, plus a $1,388.09 vehicle property tax for 2015 for a total of $144,868.34; net difference of $18,898.34 additional cost. Can't get the federal tax credit next year; moving out of NJ so I'll lose the NJ sales tax exemption sometime in January. The 2015 vehicle tax I'll have to pay anyway, but it will be prorated and payable at the end of the year otherwise)

I've sent over the details of my 12/31 deadline to my DS, including my intent to cancel if I can't take delivery by then... not that I think it will matter.

Edit: Looks like the Tesla isn't even on the NJ list of cars that qualify for the sales tax exemption anyway?! (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/Treasury2015ModelYearZEVlisting.pdf)

First, you win.

Second, you may want to look at the sales tax rules of the state you're moving to. Many states have a 12 month rule that says if you move into the state and want to register a car that was purchased less than 12 months prior, they collect the sales tax difference between the two states. Since NJ is 0%, that would likely be calculated as the full tax due in the second state.

We both had hats already from the S85. Think the jacket was a way of saying sorry about the situation with the first car.

same here, only a hat....but i recently got a Tesla Corp Jacket since they left me in the dark about my s85 trade-in for about 2 weeks with no info.....Tesla rep explained to me that if i see a fellow Tesla owner with the corp jacket it's usually a "lesson learned" gift

But you surely know that Tesla was probably going to deliver to someone in California before you regardless right?

Of course, I just figured they would delivery to someone in California who at least ordered on the same day as me not someone who ordered and paid their deposit over two weeks after me. At that rate I should have had the car a week before they took delivery...

I hope you get some good news next week that lowers your level of frustration.

Well, the problem is that I've heard "next week" more than once through this, and then "next week" comes and it just gets pushed to "next week" again. *sigh* So, I'm not optimistic about "next week"'s news.

Last edited:
Well, the problem is that I've heard "next week" more than once through this, and then "next week" comes and it just gets pushed to "next week" again. *sigh* So, I'm not optimistic about "next week"'s news.

Lol. That's more than I've been hearing. All I hear is "your car is in production, no ETA, we'll call you as soon as we're ready to schedule a delivery date".

First, you win.

Second, you may want to look at the sales tax rules of the state you're moving to. Many states have a 12 month rule that says if you move into the state and want to register a car that was purchased less than 12 months prior, they collect the sales tax difference between the two states. Since NJ is 0%, that would likely be calculated as the full tax due in the second state.

The scenario is definitely worst case. Best case for a 2015 delivery is I just lose out of the $7500 credit, which still in itself isn't acceptable to me since I was quoted December delivery. If not for that, I would not have purchased. $7500 is still 5.6% of the total cost of the car alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. That's more than I've been hearing. All I hear is "your car is in production, no ETA, we'll call you as soon as we're ready to schedule a delivery date".

Well, I call/email for updates. I don't get any volunteered.

They have started delivering first gen rear seats with the taller headrests as well (same height as the next gen seats). As you can see in the pic posted by Marc, the rear seats sill fold flat with plenty of space.

The new regular seats don't have the additional bolstering that the next gen seats do that stick up from the bottom portion, hence the questions about still folding flat.

They have started delivering first gen rear seats with the taller headrests as well (same height as the next gen seats). As you can see in the pic posted by Marc, the rear seats sill fold flat with plenty of space.

They have been for a while. Not sure when it went into production but sometime after September. In the discussion about the seats someplace, someone in Europe mentioned they had these taller headrests on their backseat.

- - - Updated - - -

same here, only a hat....but i recently got a Tesla Corp Jacket since they left me in the dark about my s85 trade-in for about 2 weeks with no info.....Tesla rep explained to me that if i see a fellow Tesla owner with the corp jacket it's usually a "lesson learned" gift

I'm sure it's a common "oops" gift. But anyone can buy one either on their website or in one of the stores.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/outerwear/products/men-s-new-corp-jacket-black